• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

dustman007

My squat day goes for 45min... my bench press workout is 1.5 hrs.

Should i be bulking up my squat day? Currently 3 exercises... squat, paused squat and lunges.

Or am i hitting my chest too hard... bench press, close grip, db bench, flys, then reverse flys, bicep curl and skullcrushers....

How many times should i be performing the 3 lifts per week? I am currently doing bench press twice a week, squats once... and deadlifts nil due to lower back pain.

My 1rm bench press is 120kg, not sure on squats because ive never tried 1rm... i did 5 reps at 110kg squat a couple months ago, i havent been deadlifting for last month due to lower back pain... sports doctor has me doing pilates to work on core strength and flexibility.

I have about 9 months training experience... i did stronglifts for first 6 months but stopped becausei wasnt progressing, kept deloading, hurt my back and was getting mentally fatigued from going max every workout...

Quite a strong bench, squats are kinda meh even if you are 80kg.

1.5hrs is too long for bench if your squat session is 45 minutes.

Should i do the beginner program? Ive already done stronglifts 5x5 for 6 months and that was torture... more mental fatigue than physical.... felt like i was bashing my head against a wall...

Thanks [MENTION=3627]Goosey[/MENTION].

Should i do the beginner program? Ive already done stronglifts 5x5 for 6 months and that was torture... more mental fatigue than physical.... felt like i was bashing my head against a wall...

Without knowing if you have any special considerations, it’s hard to really comment on the program you’ve got, but it does sound a little odd.

Bench shouldnt take twice as long as squats, and if you don’t have any extra work on squat day, what are you doing for hamstrings?

Maybe post your whole routine.

My squat sessions at the moment go for 1hr, but sometimes they can go for 2.5-3hrs.
The length of time isn’t really important. The quality of your exercises are.

Thanks [MENTION=3627]Goosey[/MENTION].

Without knowing if you have any special considerations, it’s hard to really comment on the program you’ve got, but it does sound a little odd.

Bench shouldnt take twice as long as squats, and if you don’t have any extra work on squat day, what are you doing for hamstrings?

Maybe post your whole routine.

My squat sessions at the moment go for 1hr, but sometimes they can go for 2.5-3hrs.
The length of time isn’t really important. The quality of your exercises are.

Pilates to strengthen your lower back?

You know what works best for lower back strength? Deadlifts.

Deads also also strengthen calves, hamstrings, quads, lower back, mid back, upper back, traps, neck, shoulders, grip/forearms and abs, including internal core muscles.

Pilates strengthens vaginas.

There is nothing wrong with doing super light deadlifts, especially if you are filming them and watching whats happening to your back and your setup. Add on top of that hypers, dumbbell rows (real ones, with the weight moved back to the hip joint, not up to the chest) and anything back focused. Hammy work such as leg curls, romanian deads, etc.

THAT will strengthen your back. Pre gym life I would put out my back putting groceries into the boot. Post gym life I can safely pull double body weight and more.

On the matter of timing for your workouts, you are a beginner so anything will work. But, bench hits mostly pecs and shoulders. Squats hit everything so a squat or deadlift gives you a much greater strength and growth potential.

Switch time spent on squats with bench, or increase squat time (as in the actual squats, not accessory exercises) to match bench. PLUS add in deads on their own day.

If your workouts are more of a mental challenge than physical, then you are doing it right. Mebbe throw in a deload week every 4-8 weeks to give yourself a physical and mental break. You should feel fear and anxiety facing a squat or deads day, but not to the detriment of enjoying the experience.

Hang in there. You are on the right track. Hit that posterior chain with light deads, hypers, reverse hypers, leg curls, romanian deads, etc and your lower back will strengthen up fast.

As a general rule you'll need more volume over time to continue to get strength gains. This is the main principle that Sheiko uses in his training.
Because of this, it means that if you can get results in 30 minutes- do it. When you can't then increase the volume in the workout and it will start to take longer

You should also be doing cardio to ensure that you can keep up the pace as eventually you're going to run out of time. I like doing 10 minute walks after each meal

So to answer your question, it depends on your history, your work capacity and you're strength level.

At a beginner lever (that's where you are) if you are in the gym any longer than 45 minutes you are wasting time.

There are lots of ways for a powerlifter to “train” and the longer the better IMO, training for that one lift needs attention to detail.

on the other hand the bench is a conundrum and too much time spent on this can cause problems for most trainees.
this is one exercise where you really need to find ways of strengthening the triceps at the same time spending equal time strengthening the whole back safely while minimizing movement around the shoulders.

lifting weights is mainly an activity where you’re finding what works for yourself.

then of course there are freaks that where it ( like most sports) just comes naturally.

Last edited:
So, the rub is; it’s and individual thing, spend as much time training as need to master the movement/s give yourself enough recovery time between workouts and training.

there is no magical mystery tour here.

Pilates is teaching me how to activate my core, hamstring and glutes... i think when i am doing deadlifts my back is doing too much of the work... and getting sore.

Would recording my workouts help with form? I think deadlifts is my worst lift...

Pilates is teaching me how to activate my core, hamstring and glutes... i think when i am doing deadlifts my back is doing too much of the work... and getting sore.

Would recording my workouts help with form? I think deadlifts is my worst lift...

Mebbe re-read my post.

Where are you located?

the best thing would be to see a proper coach.

Where are you located?

the best thing would be to see a proper coach.

Yeah. I am seeing a power lifting coach. It seems that the aussie power lifting community is quite small.

Maybe i should be emailing my coach instead of posting on forums for advice.

Yeah. I am seeing a power lifting coach. It seems that the aussie power lifting community is quite small.

Thats what you should be doing to start with haha.

Who is this coach?

may as well give the dude a plug, or would you prefer to stay anonymous for trolling purposes ??