• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

dustman007

Looking for a new barbell... i have been using a 6.6 foot 15kg 25mm womans barbell.

Need something that is good for the 3 lifts, squats, bench press and deadlift. Has to be durable and low maintenance. Im not sure what knurling i want.... the knurl on my current bar is really passive and doesnt have a centre knurl for squats.

I have looked at texas power bar, rogue ohio power bar, eleiko power bar, valhalla power bar and abc power bar.

Abc seems like best bang for buck. Only concerns are maintenance and rust etc. And whether the knurl will be grippy but wont cut up my hands.

Any feedback appreciated.

I own Valhalla :)

Our bars have zero maintenance, and stainless sleeves with a black nitrate shaft, so no rust issues there.

Our bars are are on the grippier side though, so they can be a little rough on soft hands.

I have had an ABC power bar and they are great. Stiffness the same as an Eleiko. I bought mine with the "aggressive" knurl (you have an option between two knurls) and I never regretted it. You don't want to be stuffing around with a bar with a crappy "soft" knurl. It will drive you nuts. Your hands will toughen up quickly.

Great value. No rust. Certainly not an Eleiko but perfect second best choice.

Plus its made in Oz, or at least designed and sold in Oz. Prolly made in "Jina" like ALL the cheaper bars (including Rogue),

I have had an ABC power bar and they are great. Stiffness the same as an Eleiko. I bought mine with the "aggressive" knurl (you have an option between two knurls) and I never regretted it. You don't want to be stuffing around with a bar with a crappy "soft" knurl. It will drive you nuts. Your hands will toughen up quickly.

Great value. No rust. Certainly not an Eleiko but perfect second best choice.

Plus its made in Oz, or at least designed and sold in Oz. Prolly made in "Jina" like ALL the cheaper bars (including Rogue),

Our bars, and the ABC bars, are made right here in Australia :)

I've used all the bars you've mentioned and they are all fine. You can either buy the Valhalla bar to support powerlifting in Australia or just get the cheapest.

Any advice on how to stop wear on squat rack slots? Ive been using a passive knurl bar for 9 months and its starting to get a groove... scared to think what a more aggressive bar would do.

I tried super gluing rubber strips to it but they came straight off when i rotated the barbell.

It needs to be hard plastic, not rubber. An old chopping board cut up will do, but its better if the plastic is even harder than that. Pic is of a deadlift jack, but the same applies.

EQ-DL-JCK1-3.jpg

If you counter sink the holes the bolts will last longer and won’t eat into the bar.

you can usually buy off cuts of good quality “nylon” and they (if nice) can cut it to size, it’s a bitch to cut drill nd counter sink, been there done that.