• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
M

muso

Bench press questions grip width

Hi what a great forum, this is my first post on here but I have come here a lot to read the great info and threads etc.
Edited, original was too long winded
Which grip width best for wrists and hands health

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
What grip do you use, thumb under or over the bar?

I always used thumb under and gripped tightly, I felt that thumb over would be dangerous in case of dropping the bar. But with lighter weight I may be able to do thumb over and more reps

I always used thumb under and gripped tightly, I felt that thumb over would be dangerous in case of dropping the bar. But with lighter weight I may be able to do thumb over and more reps
Try with thumb over grip and see if it helps

Combine french presses, flyes and push-ups.

you could do;

1 set of 8~12 french press

flyes using descending 10, 8, 6

1 or 2 sets of push-ups of alternatively a pavels ladder set-up

I just went out and tried very very light weight (25 kg don't laugh) and experimented by placing the weight of the bar across the palm diagonally from the top of palm pad of the index finger down to the heel of the palm pad below the little finger. This keeps weight off the thumb pad altogether, however I could only use light weight to do this. I am pretty disabled by this flare up at the moment so I have to be careful but if I can find a way of making it work and add some weight and still keep the thumb pad out of it altogether it would be great!

Try with thumb over grip and see if it helps

I tried that, it makes it worse, it's the very base of the thumb where it connects to the wrist so any pressure pushing the thumb pad up is really bad. Thumb over but not involved seems to work, but would need light weights.
I am getting a steroid shot next week so I am trying to figure out what hurts and what doesn't hurt before the steroids null the pain.

Ok good luck.
I’m out.

I was referring to dumbbell tricep workout, someone called them 'kick backs' probably the wrong term, but a person I saw doing them called them 'kickbacks' at the time.

Is there a reason why you're not working all your other body parts?
And do you work out at home or a gym?[/QUOT

I used to work out other areas at a gym years ago, but time and other commitments got in the way (kids work family etc)
These days I just do a twice a week bench press tone up and leg extension at home, not exactly a whole body workout lol just a maintenance tone up.