• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
S

sbabs

Hi Everyone, any advice or help would be much appreciated!!

Current stats: 163cm, 55.8kg

Currently reverse dieting with a coach. In last 2 weeks we have increased cals from averaging 1500/day to now ~1800/day with below macros. I am vegetarian and celioac (gluten free).

Macros currently at 130P/45F/220C.

Workouts consists of:
6x week lifting - 2x legs; 2x chest/triceps; 2x back/biceps
3x week cardio, of easy 3km run
1x hitt of 10min sprints 30secs on, 30secs off

First week on the macros I gained 3.8kgs (w52kg before starting) as which really freaked me out.
My history is previously had anorexia with binge/purge tendencies for 10 years but have been in recovery and weight restored for 1.5years now. Been working out consistently for 2 years now. Focusing more on weights in last year and also running. Before starting this plan with my coach I was running 3-5x week and lifting 4x week.

Really struggling at the moment as workouts are taking 1.5-2hours in the gym each day, which has been tough after a 10-12hr shift at work each day. Also am very worried about my very dramatic weight gain initially. I wanted to start reverse dieting to help improve my metabolism and body comp as I have seen very little result from working out in the gym.

But starting this plan has just made me even more focused and stressed about food, as really struggling to hit my macros daily. Not able to eat food I enjoy, and not able to follow hunger signals ie. even though im hungry after dinner unable to eat anything else as already reached macros.

Also scared that if Im working out this much and still gaining so much weight initially, that if i was to decrease workouts id gain even more weight. Even though 2hrs a day at the gym is feeling unmanageable at the moment being constantly exhausted and resentful before each workout.

Feeling very overwhelmed and hopeless with the process of reverse dieting. I did this to gain more freedom with food and help my body and mind. But at the moment it is doing the opposite. Feeling crap about my body, exhausted, resentful towards workouts and stressed about food.

Does anyone have any advice??? Or similar experiences??
Is there an easier way to do this? Or is there a better way to do my workouts so that I can achieve the same result with workouts but less time?? Or is there an alternative approach to try??

Any help would be so appreciated, because at the moment im miserable.

Thanks

You need to increase cals slowly to avoid too much fat gain.
It’s not a sprint.
Also 2hrs in the gym. Wtf.
Get in and out in 30-45 mins.
3 weight session per week is enough not 6. You need recovery time.
Hit 3 full body sessions per week or at least 2 upper and 1 lower and then vice versa the week after....oh and ditch that coach.

Good advice there Shrek
To add, since you have a history of obsessing about food, stop counting calories and learn to eat by portion sizes
And x2 on ditching the coach.

Yeah. Stop counting calories, makes your brain run around in circles, very small ones in my case.
I can see it causing anxiety.

I am vegetarian and celioac (gluten free).

... my coach ...

There's your two problems right there.

First off, I'm not bashing vegetarians, but if you want some sort of physical improvement, you are going about it the wrong way. I doubt very much that you are getting the amount of protein you claim in your diet. And certainly not a full spectrum of amino acids, that's for sure.

Your coach is putting a round peg in a square hole. Reverse dieting works if you are a meat eater, not a carb eater.

As with all body fat issues, it all comes down to diet, unless you are running marathons every day. You can reach your physical goals, you just need to change your diet. Probably by first going through a 1 month transition from the stuff you are eating now to a proper physical supporting diet such as the Vertical Diet or any of the myriad female physique competitor diets.

You can keep banging your head against the wall but since you already have a history of anorexia-leaning thinking, you are currently going down a dark path.

Thanks everyone for you help really appreciated. The working out 6x a week and still seeing weight gain has scared me a bit to cut back on the exercise. The dramatic weight gain has really scared me, and now starting to feel hungry and unsatisfied even on the higher intake ...

Can I expect to still see strength results and body recomp with only doing 3-4x gym sessions?? Cause yeah the 6x is frankly exhausting... and I dont think its maintainable. The whole point of my trying to reverse diet was to get away from being scared of food and being exercise obsessed but its doing the opposite and sending me backwards.

Currently majority of protein is coming from 2x protein shakes a day and protein bar... which is making my digestion feel crap. I realize mu dietary requirements are a real challenge :( Will look into vertical diet for sure.... just need to avoid any diet that is too restrictive or not flexible for my mental health.

Most definitely you can recomp with 3-4 gyms sessions per week.
3 gym sessions and 2-3 HIIT session would serve you well.
Go for it girl. [emoji56]

Last edited:
3.8kg gain is probably impossible for ANYONE outside of being atlest 3.7kg of water also.

its a massive gain for your size though, even for water gain. Were heavily depleted at the weigh in before hand? Only reason i can come up with for such a gain.

Honestly this forum (well a select group of members) could coach you a lot better.

Have you considered anything online like Renaissance Diet?
Look it up. Dont know anyone personally that hasnt fair very well using thier templates for building diets.

I would suggest throwing away your scales. In my opinion, a person recovering from an eating disorder shouldn't be anywhere near them.

You can get great results as well as proper recovery with 3 or 4 days a week in the gym, off days are for recovery which doesn't mean running 10 miles but does mean walking/swimming/cycling at a normal pace without killing yourself.

Diet is difficult because its easy to recommend something but only the recipient knows if they are capable of doing it. Being a vegetarian should make it easy to stay away from shit food but getting enough protein is hard, 1500 to 1800 calories is plenty for most people and not everyone responds the same way to the same calories.

Most coaches in the "fitness" world want to flog you hard so you feel like you got your monies worth. You need to find someone who will coach you for longer term goals rather than killing you today.

163cm and 55kg is nowhere near a bad build, stop stressing about weight.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for you help really appreciated. The working out 6x a week and still seeing weight gain has scared me a bit to cut back on the exercise. The dramatic weight gain has really scared me, and now starting to feel hungry and unsatisfied even on the higher intake ...

Can I expect to still see strength results and body recomp with only doing 3-4x gym sessions?? Cause yeah the 6x is frankly exhausting... and I dont think its maintainable. The whole point of my trying to reverse diet was to get away from being scared of food and being exercise obsessed but its doing the opposite and sending me backwards.

Currently majority of protein is coming from 2x protein shakes a day and protein bar... which is making my digestion feel crap. I realize mu dietary requirements are a real challenge :( Will look into vertical diet for sure.... just need to avoid any diet that is too restrictive or not flexible for my mental health.

Any feedback?
What have enough put in place?

Getting the majority of your protein from shakesevery day long term is a really bad idea.

You want animal proteins.

Being a vego, you wanna chase these down via eggs and fish (vegos eat fish? I dont fukken know or carel).

Best possible animal protein is beef. It has no equal. The true superfood. The amount of vitamins and minerals that tag along for the ride in this glorious food are unreal and unbeatable, beans and fish and shit dont even come close in comparison. And dont even get me started on that soy bullshit.

(I may be a little intoxicated - after slamming another pound of beef in one sitting).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

And yes i know shakes are generally made up of animal proteins....but do not even come close in quality to fresh raw steak!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your advice! Think im going to get rid of my coach this week! My Macros were changed to 110P/60F/160C... and Ive gained another 1kg this week... now 56kg and honestly feeling pretty crappy about it especially when I've been killing myself in the gym..

Going to try take all yours advice and cut but to the 3-4 days a week and not focus on the scales. Very frustrating not seeing any results though in the last 4 weeks... and disheartening.

Scared Im not going to be able to lose all this new gained weight in the last month.. feeling very uncomfortable. Any recommendations for macros to try to hopefully help my body stop gaining such rapid weight??

Thanks guys!

Take a comprehensive blood test and post the results here. Get a full vitamin & mineral panel, cholesterol, thyroid, vitamin d3, ha1c

While we wait for that - what are you eating day to day?

My Macros were changed to 110P/60F/160C... and Ive gained another 1kg this week... now 56kg and honestly feeling pretty crappy about it especially when I've been killing myself in the gym..

Any recommendations for macros to try to hopefully help my body stop gaining such rapid weight??

110P/60F/160C

Change to: 200P/100F/0C

Yeh I think you need to drop the carbs and up the protein and fats. As someone with a history of eating disorders, you need to stop weighing yourself (As the other peeps have said, I am just reinforcing it)

To me (and not knowing your full history) it sounds like you just put on a lot of water weight due to the high-ish carb intake.

Increasing your fat intake should help keep you feeling satiated. Give it a try.

Just noticed you havent post here for a few weeks. How are you progressing ?