• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I used to think I was good at dips, but don't like my form when I see it on tape. I lean forward a lot.

unfortunately too scared to try a dip at moment due to dicky shoulder.

I used to think I was good at dips, but don't like my form when I see it on tape. I lean forward a lot.

Isn't that like a chest dip. I thought forward lean deeper dip for more chest, and more upright with upper arms bout parallel to floor for more triceps.

Isn't that like a chest dip. I thought forward lean deeper dip for more chest, and more upright with upper arms bout parallel to floor for more triceps.

yes. I still feel it is very effective for chest. just thought I was doing fuller reps to extension, which I was not.

I would take a front squat, deadlift and overhead press.

Not because I want to hammer every individual muscle but because those lifts prepare a person for tasks in the real world.

I would take a front squat, deadlift and overhead press.

Not because I want to hammer every individual muscle but because those lifts prepare a person for tasks in the real world.

*That* IMO is what it’s all about.

The tools you choose are completely personal.
Especialy for someone that does no hard labor and sits on their arse all day.

that is the beauty of bb exercises. you can always do something different and still work a muscle area.

I have a shoulder injury, but variety of exercise helps me work around it.

Thats right, i find myself changing exercises sometimes every month. Other times i'll stick to the same exercise for 3-4 months before varying it in some way etc. Quite often for me if it feels good then i keep doing it but at the same time i don't want 100% pleasure because my goal is to punish myself and ruin myself in the gym so i must be in some form of pain in order for me to have had a successfull workout.

I had a niggling shoulder issue for years. Bench would aggravate it, and so did push ups and shoulder presses sometimes. This lead me to using dumbells for chest and shoulders which seemed to allow much less stress on the shoulder girdle. Now i am back lifting old school and using barbells for everything like bench and presses etc.

The bradford press was a popular exercise.

it comes down to the the width of the shoulders and the collar bone, some will experience bad impingement, I think the position of the hand is key here and the one arm DB press is a good solution for people suffering with impingement.

in fact the one arm press teaches good pressing, it’s one thing that Arnold contributed unknowingly with his (Arnold press) turning the hand is good for the shoulder as in it eliminates the congestion at the shoulder.

Bradford Press looks good, i'll try that when i move onto a new exercise for shoulders.

Dips are a hard exercise when compared to say push ups for instance. I get an awesome tricep workout from dips but they can wear me down too far i think. Never tried dips for chest, need to get the angle right.

Dips are a hard exercise when compared to say push ups for instance. I get an awesome tricep workout from dips but they can wear me down too far i think. Never tried dips for chest, need to get the angle right.

For chest, lean forward slightly and take a slightly wider grip.
Beauty maaaaaaate.

For chest, lean forward slightly and take a slightly wider grip.
Beauty maaaaaaate.

I really want to give it a go, later this month maybe(maybe sooner)! Not sure what type of dip handles they have in the gym, so i'll sus that out......

You reckon for chest doing bench + dips is okay, or too much you think? what would you start with?

I don’t know your full workout regime so it’s hard to comment on volume.

I incorporate chest twice per week.
First is dips for 3-4 sets
Next session is some type of pressing that doesn’t aggravate the shoulder for 3 sets and one isolation for 2 sets.

In terms of lean in the dip, I believe it doesn’t make a difference, the fallacy was introduced by Weider and his magazines.

I get mad DOMS in the outer chest region when dipping for chest, more so then when in the upright position. Probably due to the stretch in the bottom position.

I don’t know your full workout regime so it’s hard to comment on volume.

I incorporate chest twice per week.
First is dips for 3-4 sets
Next session is some type of pressing that doesn’t aggravate the shoulder for 3 sets and one isolation for 2 sets.

Okay fair enough. I change it up quite a bit, literally week by week. Why you don't know my workout regime is really upsetting to say the least, i expected more from you than this. Can't you read my mind?

Atm i'm hitting each muscle group every 5-7 days. When i hit chest, back and shoulders on individual days my entire upper body gets trained on each of these days so i'd be inclined to say i hit each muscle every 3-5 days, though for true isolation every 5-7 days.

You have bad shoulders don't you?