• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

spartacus

Foxsports.com.au has uncovered just how much iron the game’s sturdiest men are throwing around and will reveal, at the bottom of our story, who has the biggest lift of them all.
BRONCOS
You may not know the name Salesi Funaki but you soon will.
The 23-year-old has been in the Brisbane system for a couple of years and edging towards an NRL start.
If his pre-season testing is anything to go by, the forward could be in for a big year.
Tipping the scales at 110kg, Funaki squats more than double his body weight.

70fe2b2e228372d7da04b7be57bd70b6
Salesi Funaki at Broncos training.Source: News Corp AustraliaThe prop boasts a 230kg one rep max for his squat and around 170kg for his bench.
“His strength across the board has improved out of sight this year,” Broncos high performance manager Jeremy Hickmans told foxsports.com.au.
“We have some big men in the team but in terms of raw power, Salesi is our strongest.”
When asked who the strongest pound for pound athlete is, new strength coach Ryan Whitley replied; “there are no weight classes in the jungle, lad.”

Samoan international Junior Paulo has overtaken Shannon Boyd as Canberra’s strongest overall player.
The bragging rights belonged to Boyd last year but 24-year-old Paulo has had a big pre-season in the weights room.
While the former Eel is strongest, 22-year-old backrower Luke Bateman is the pound-for-pound king in the nation’s capital.
fa772f80aecd8da88b14d588f3be665b
Luke Bateman in the gym.Source: Instagram“We’ve got a number of guys in the forwards who can lift big but overall Junior is probably the strongest,” Raiders strength coach Leigh Woodbridge said.
“Luke Bateman is also very strong for one of the smaller forwards and does some impressive numbers.”
BULLDOGS
With a new staff at the Bulldogs, 23-year-old forward Danny Fualalo has wasted little time impressing.
The 108kg forward has recorded a massive 180kg bench press during the pre-season testing.
It’s a huge improvement on his PB’s from last year which was 150kg for three reps followed by 25 reps of 80kg for endurance.
SHARKS
The inspirational skipper dominates this data each year. While that’s no great shock, what’s most surprising is Paul Gallen’s numbers continue to rise.
Despite being the oldest player at the club at 36, Gallen is still getting stronger and pushing his physical limits.
7be743b5d6ea3986065f41545c6e389a
Paul Gallen inside the gym.Source: News LimitedGallen recorded a personal best 240kg lift for three reps during the off-season.
While his window for heavy strength training is small due to his boxing load and playing duties, he’s increased his deadlift by 10kg from his biggest lift recorded last year.
TIGERS
While there are some impressive physiques at the club, Josh Aloiai has the biggest bench press.
The 22-year-old recorded a 180kg bench over the pre-season.
TITANS
True strength is best measured pound-for-pound and at 85kg, new recruit Mitch Rein is the strongest on the Gold Coast.
The pint sized No.9 squats 155kg for one rep, doubles his body weight in deadlifting with 180kg and bench presses 145kg.
4926576b8d307333cba7bcb5dcc37225
Garth Brennan talks with Mitch Rein during training.Source: Getty ImagesWhile Rein is king pound-for-pound, Titans head of performance Hayden Knowles revealed it’s Nathan Peats who has topped every fitness test the club has done.
“One of the most competitive athletes I have ever worked with,” Knowles said.
“His desire to be the best is so good to see on a daily basis. A player that no doubt players would love to play with and in our positions the type of player you love to work with.”
SEA EAGLES
There are two new muscle monsters in Brookvale.
While Marty Taupau has dominated the weights room in Manly since joining the club in 2016, he’s no longer the strongest on the bench press.
Former Parramatta prop Kelepi Tanginoa has claimed those bragging rights. He holds the Eels’ bench press record at 180kg but he’s beaten his PB at the Sea Eagles to claim their record with a 185kg lift in December.
“This kid is built like a brick,” Taupau told Fox Sports.
“He’s short, strong. He’s got bench record, squat record but at the end of the day, can you palm? Can you run long distance? It’s good to have players keeping you on your heels.”
bcdb1678ae49af158a9ffab4c8c36ceb
Manly players working on their deadlifts in the gym.Source: InstagramWhile Taupau still holds the record for biggest deadlift with a PB of 310kg, but Tanginoa and new recruit Toff Shipley are nipping at his heels.
The Warriors recruit was a standout performer inside the gym, recording a 300kg lift over the pre-season, as did Tanginoa.
“There’s a few players that have taken the records off me,” Taupau said.
“I’ve realised in the last couple of years, you can lift all the weights in the world but let’s see how well you can play footy, it’s all about that fine balance. I’ll let all the young boys have the records.”
STORM
Nelson Asofa-Solomona is a man mountain at 201cm and 115kg.
So genetically gifted, the forward was destined to be a star in the gym.
With a bar across his back, he’s in a league of his own.
Asofa-Solomona has the biggest squat at the club but the heaviest bench is a tie.
Jesse Bromwich and Christian Welch dominate the bench press.
KNIGHTS
5f6ce1c0f2accdafbd37a8fa730839fe
Pat Mata'utia of the Knights in action.Source: Getty ImagesThey have some big men in their side but it’s a 24-year-old centre turned backrower who boasts the biggest squat.
Pat Mata’utia has the biggest three rep max with the bar across his back.
When it comes to the bench press, 93kg backrower Jamie Buhrer is the pound-for-pound strongest at the club.
COWBOYS
The Cowboys split their strength training groups into four teams from weakest to strongest.
Based on looks alone, you’d expect Jason Taumalolo to dominate the weights room but the lock denies this is the case.
“Compared to everyone else I’d say I go alright but not too good,” Taumalolo said.
“A lot of boys expect me to be throwing around weights like it should be nothing but I’m more of a running type person. In the gym in not really that strong compared to everyone else.”
cc3f161f1dd86592df4d043d72e9bcf6
Francis Molo at Cowboys training.Source: News Corp AustraliaIt’s understood new recruit Francis Molo and young forward Corey Jensen are the biggest lifters at the Cowboys.
Their best lifts are the bench press and squats.
It’s not uncommon for the other three groups to stop and marvel at Molo and Jensen piling on the plates.
EELS
In the backline George Jennings and NYC graduate Greg Leleisiuao are the strongest.
These two men dominate the power movements from bench press, deadlifts, squats and bench throws.
In the forwards it’s new recruit Tony Williams who dominates the bench press.
WARRIORS
Halfback Mason Lino can back squat 185kg.
In pound-for-pound terms, the 24-year-old is lifting 2.2 times his body weight.
RABBITOHS
South Sydney have completely revamped their training inside the gym this year.
Anthony Seibold revealed making changes to their strength and conditioning program was one of his first priorities when taking up the job as coach.
“Jarrod Wade is our strength and conditioning coach,” Seibold told foxsports.com.au.
becb260056bf282c255d80740aa9dcd9
Hymel Hunt of the Rabbitohs makes a break.Source: Getty Images“He’s done a really good job improving the players’ strength which we needed.
“I thought from a strength point of view, we were a little bit off from the clubs that I’ve worked at so it’s been a real focus for us.”
Hymel Hunt has overtaken George Burgess as the biggest squatter in the club.
Burgess registered a squat of 250kg last year which was beaten by the outside back during testing this year although the club has guarded the number.
In terms of pound-for-pound strongest, that honour goes to Damien Cook who just pipped 18-year-old flyer Campbell Graham.
DRAGONS
There’s plenty of big units in Wollongong but when it comes to the bench press, Tyson Frizell is the boss.
The Kangaroos backrower weighs 108kg and recorded a 175kg bench press for one rep.
But if you want an epic number, you need to look to the outside backs.
Jordan Pereira joined the club mid last year and can squat an enormous amount of weight.
The winger recorded a one rep max for his back squat of 275kg.
ROOSTERS
Fringe forward Chris Smith dominates inside the gym.
While the Roosters wouldn’t divulge specific numbers, it’s understood the 24-year-old deadlifts more than 200kg.
ab5a1ceca00192dd04e4f46cbc9295d2
James Fisher-Harris of the Panthers is tackled by and Chris Smith.Source: Getty ImagesTechnical with his power cleans and snatches, it’s Smith’s lower body movements producing the biggest numbers.
Hooker Victor Radley weighs 95kg and recorded a 130kg power clean, which was his PB.
While the 19-year-old isn’t the biggest lifter in the squad, he admits to stop what he’s doing to watch the big boys throw the tin.
“I’m pretty intrigued with that stuff. I like to watch,” he said.
In the backline, it’s Blake Ferguson who claims the bragging rights for strength.
“Fergo’s not a bigger bloke but the power he has in his lower body is pretty crazy,” co-captain Jake Friend said.
PANTHERS
He’s a veteran of the game and at 29, James Tamou is Penrith’s biggest bench presser.
While the Panthers were unable to provide us with a number, the club said the 114kg forward recorded the highest number on the bench of their entire squad.
AND THE HEAVIEST LIFT BELONGS TO ...
Based on the data at hand, it’s impossible to definitively declare the strongest player in the league. But working off the known numbers and taking into account the muscles used to complete the specific lifts, we can make a judgment call.
Marty Taupau retains the bragging rights.
The Manly powerhouse may’ve been overtaken in the gym on multiple lifts but he’s still recorded the biggest deadlift of any NRL player with 310kg.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...d/news-story/a860161225cec3e9dd3a3ca46b68aa49

Good thread Spart.

Its obvious Gallen is up there. Him along with Sam Thaiday are two of the most genetically gifted I've seen in person, when they were young.

nevertheless, getting stronger to add to one's level of skill is indeed a great goal as long as balance is right.

I wish we could get more lifts of nrl players to see form; some of the afl bench presses of the past were with pretty poor form.

at my army gym, there have been two lifters benching with pause 147.5kg and 153kg

230 kgs squat at 110 is ok.I squatted 222.5 at 96 kgs while over 40 yrs old.Put me in coach,ill play orange boy and tackle bag for 50 k a season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTid9AVE90s

tapau 1min 32sec for 500m row

world record 1m10sec

http://www.concept2.com.au/indoor-rowers/racing/records/world?machine=1&event=500&gender=All&age=All&weight=All

i tried 500m for fun after a training sesh back in 2014 and was around that time.no shit.I never rowed at all before or afterwards apart from warming down.i was between 1 30 -1 40 and broke the gym record,but i didnt give a fuk.Didnt think it was a big deal

I remember Wayne Pearce couldn't understand why Rugby League players tried to build their Benches so much, which is valid IMO. I assume why League players have such big Benches is that Rugby League favours the naturally bigger (strong) and the people with naturally thick levers - arms and legs. Whereas Aussie Rules favours the naturally long "levered" persons.

Last edited:
Can't see League S and C coaches getting too worried about building Players Benches. Rather, they just have good Benches due to already being predisposed to being good Benchers.

Last edited:
yes, strength just one factor.

many of the top nfl players are nowhere near the strongest or fastest in terms of tests.

I remember Wayne Pearce couldn't understand why Rugby League players tried to build their Benches so much, which is valid IMO. I assume why League players have such big Benches is that Rugby League favours the naturally bigger (strong) and the people with naturally thick levers - arms and legs. Whereas Aussie Rules favours the naturally long "levered" persons.

why do u say having a big bench is useless for league?