• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

StrongerThanEver

Lazy Ass Kunce
What squat shoes do you guys reckon are any good for powerlifting? Looking for something that won't cost $300 or some retarded price like that. Something $100-150 or less would be nice, with a elevated heel for squat depth and bench press.

Dunlop Volleys, the really cheap arse ones usually for about $20-$25 a pair. They feel great too, and nice and low to the ground. Fuck paying high prices for a brand name.

Dunlop Volleys, the really cheap arse ones usually for about $20-$25 a pair. They feel great too, and nice and low to the ground. Fuck paying high prices for a brand name.
Sounds alright, but do they make them with a heel or completely flat. I normally squat without shoes but have used boots with heels and it feels better and easier to hit power lifting depth. I'll probably compete at some stage for a bit of fun so I thought I'd start investigating. So far all I can find is some crossfit shoe at rebel sports for 200 and something bucks. Fark that shit, there's no rush I will keep looking.
Steal a pair of 10 pin bowling shoes and nail some ply to the heel to suit arch height.
I will consider that as an option, funny that I was using suede leather (fake) boots until my toes eventually went through the front of them lol

IMO Crossfit lites are one of the best shoes..... But they no longer make them.

I read that they are doing a re-run, at 150USD though........ Not paying that much.

First off, you need to figure out what sort of shoe you need, as opposed to what you want.

Flat shoes: fine for equipped lifters as you will be using a wide stance. Some raw powerlifters of note wear flat shoes, but that's an individual thing. You gotta have good ankle flexibility and "relaxed" calves and hamstrings to get depth in flat shoes with the narrower raw squat position.

Raised heel: Good for raw squatting due to the closer stance and ability for them to cut down on calves and hamstrings flexibility.

You can do a dirty check by laying a piece of plywood on the floor, about 20mm thick (or something similar to raise your heels) and do a moderate weight squat. See if your setup works better with heels up than heels flat.

Money: Flat shoes are cheap. You can get a good quality pair for around $100 or less.

Raised heel: you will pay double that. It's just how it is.

For my 2c worth: Nike for wide feet. Reebok for narrow feet. Cut back on Starbucks and McDonalds for a month and you can buy a decent pair no worries.

Sort out what you need then use The Google to track down the best deal.

Last edited:
I ended up getting Adidas Powerlift 3.1 shoes a while back at a cheap price. Pretty disappointed with the shoes overall, not sure what I was expecting. My squat does look deeper than it was barefoot or in flats, so objective complete there. That was the main reason for them, and I guess stability is better too with the laces + strap which is a nice bonus.

I ended up getting Adidas Powerlift 3.1 shoes a while back at a cheap price. Pretty disappointed with the shoes overall, not sure what I was expecting. My squat does look deeper than it was barefoot or in flats, so objective complete there. That was the main reason for them, and I guess stability is better too with the laces + strap which is a nice bonus.

i never let my lifters wear heals if they can’t make depth.

Pretty much every lifter (who doesn’t have screws in their ankle), should be able to squat to depth without oly shoes.

Fix the issue, don’t just hide it :)

Yeah true mate. I don't think my depth has been too bad, I have basically squatted barefoot most of my time lifting. After a hip/lower back injury I didn't squat for a while and things have not been as good since but still at a powerlifting depth for working sets. Sometimes on a heavier lift it gets a bit high and I think the shoes help a bit there. The old body is probably fucked though, need to work on mobility in hips and shoulders.

I’d prefer the ‘Reebok Lifter PR 2’. These shoes are high-density and good at resisting compression in heavy squats, it provides good stability and are under 100$ USD.