• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

DLmax

Hi anyone on SL 5X5, My first program and I was complaining for 8 weeks the weights were too low. Now its getting too hard at a rapid rate. I have nothing left if I want to try a max lift so I feel I have ended up weaker cos I haven't lifted my heaviest weights in months. Every session starts with 25 squats excluding warm ups so when I get to BP or DL I am struggling to lift 70%/of my former 1rm. Last week was a heat wave and I could not get out of bed for a day after my last work out, brain literally was foggy and muscles rekt. All natural and not in physical prime so 8 weeks in might be starting to tax the CNS too much in recovery. Thinking of ditching program.

Anyone done it strictly as planned with warm up sets and prescribed accessories.

If you cannot complete 5 x 5 Sq / bench / row in the same session then look at your diet and or recovery.

I heard your body can only absorb so much protein at a time and you piss the rest away. Random bodybuilder at gym says. Yah, rest sounds good but got goals, just gonna toughen up. I think it was the recent heat wave that destroyed me tbh.

Assume I am 110kg, not obese. How much protein / day over how many meals??

At some point of a beginner cycle, you are not going to be able to progress on a full body routine. You need to split it up.

Day 1: Squats

Day 2: Bench

Day 3: Deadlifts

You can put a day of rest in between if you want so you still have 3 training days. You can add on 2 or 3 accessories after main lift, hitting the same muscle group, such as rows after deads or tricep work after bench.

Take the weekend off. Rinse and repeat.

Protein: your random bodybuilder is a retard, unless he thinks that all protein meals are a protein shake. For example, if you eat a big T-bone, you are eating more than 50g of protein. But it takes hours to digest so you aren't "pissing out" the extra, your body is able to get a steady stream of amino acids over 5-8 hours.

Just eat real food and make sure you have some healthy fat as well with each meal. Your body needs it for recovery plus it slows digestion and cuts down on nasty insulin spikes.

At 50+ years old, you have a huge potential to improve if you take recovery seriously.

Personally I think you need a cup of concrete.. ;)

Boom.... I was waiting for that.

instead of more recovery time you could also just alternate a heavy session where you follow 5x5 and progress the weights with a lighter session say 70% where you focus on good form and speed.

5x5 SL progress & recovery issues.

5x5 is designed for 3 x times per week to allow for plenty of recovery time. If that’s not enough then get bloods done because there’s something wrong.
Sleep more, eat more, drink more concrete.

Boom.... I was waiting for that.

instead of more recovery time you could also just alternate a heavy session where you follow 5x5 and progress the weights with a lighter session say 70% where you focus on good form and speed.

Progression is key, if extra recovery for a 50 year old is going to produce progress, then goal achieved.

what we often forget is the goal

5x5 is designed for 3 x times per week to allow for plenty of recovery time. If that’s not enough then get bloods done because there’s something wrong.
Sleep more, eat more, drink more concrete.

Thress times a week will give about 48 hours of recovery which is the minimum requirement, some required more some less, you’re no a pussy if you need more time to recover and you’re not tough if you soldier through it, you’re an idiot.

5x5 SL progress & recovery issues.

You need hard work for progression. Some think it comes easy.
“Oh it’s too hard, I’m not recovering” etc etc.

Bah....dig deep, exert yourself, train like you want it.

Take a fckn supplement, even if it is a placebo. A pre workout, creatine, beta alanine, Joe Weiders Inosine..Ino-fckn-sine, whatever.

Progression is key, if extra recovery for a 50 year old is going to produce progress, then goal achieved.

what we often forget is the goal

I agree that recovery is key, what is your opinion on active recovery through light training to flush the muscles with blood ?? Worthwhile or better to sit on the couch ?