• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
So unless some one does a PL style routine (5 or less reps) they can only achieve average status?

Right!!!!!

If by "PL style routine" you mean "not pushing your limits" (no matter what the reps may be), then, you are correct.

PS Found a gym just right for you.....

Last edited:
It is not surprising that -still- to this day powerlifters in general truly believe that they are strong for their so called sport purely because of their workout templates work ethic and diet regimes, tattoos and beards

Realise that strength is not an absolute, it is subjective term and many 'cheat' methods can and are used when demonstrating strength.

It is interesting that the “bigger” a muscle does become will change the mechanics of a lift.

It does make sense then, that a powerlifter has be aware of this in terms of exercise selections.

Realise that strength is not an absolute, it is subjective term and many 'cheat' methods can and are used when demonstrating strength.

Um. Sorry, but it is an absolute. You either lift a weight or you don't. It's not like bodybuilding or a beauty pageant, where the winner is judged on a vague, shifting, morphing set of guidelines (not standards).

In contrast, the Arnold's just ran with some 460-470+kg weights were lifted in the strongman deadlift session. The lifts were done within the standards/rules/guidelines of strongman. So, those lifts were not subjective. They either locked out or didn't. It had nothing to do with a muscle looking "denser" or "fuller" or "had more flow", or where a competitor in a bikini had a "great personality".

It doesn't matter if a lift is easier for a person of a given physique performed in sumo fashion or easier of a different physique to do it conventional, or something in between. If it is performed within the rules, it counts. Just because a football bounces 5 times before dribbling through the uprights doesn't mean it's not a goal. The manner of how the ball got there is irrelevant according to the rules.

So, strength, within powerlifting, strongman and weightlifting (or any of the other strength sports) does deal with absolutes. Even the records are absolutes, recorded in exact numbers using calibrated weights (PL & WL).

I'm not talking talking about competitions numnuts, I don't give a rats clacker about some PL meet.

Last edited:

Yeah, eventually we all fall for this and more often than not ending in some sort of injury.

unintentionally I think we all “move a little faster”, shorten the ROM and wriggle around to get that last rep, when weight lifting (working out) focus is so important, that’s if you want to keep lifting, I personally cannot afford anymore injuries although I’ve had very few, I need to be really careful losing my form and lowering the intensity “of work” is not two.

Last edited:
Drop sets minimise inury I believe. your last rep should be a very light weight and you still get the maximal effort. When not on program a love the pump drop sets give lol when someone only sees your last set and you are struggling to grind out an empty bar.

I've used drop sets on rare occasions but i've always remembered the bloke that introduced me to lifting and mentored me in the early days who said "you should finish your last rep with the heaviest weight you can handle"

So unless some one does a PL style routine (5 or less reps) they can only achieve average status?

Right!!!!!

Considering how long you have lifted and u still squat in the low hundreds,I think you are closer to mediocre.I could take years off and still kick ur ass