• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

spartacus

as we know, Gerry is a competitive warrior.

but are his rumblings misplaced about winning medals in masters championships.

I feel that where you are ranked at end of year is more important, and look to Australian masters weightlifting to show Gerry and the sport of powerlifting the light.

https://www.awf.com.au/statistics/smf-rankings

just type in the dates for 2017 and you will get the rankings

that way, no one needs to travel to afar away city to compete in the aussies against one or two competitors and still know where they are ranked for the year.

what do you think Gerry and others?

Jason Clarke is the best m1@93 in Australia and i think he would be close to being the best in the world.No doubting powerlifting is age friendly and offers guys in their late 30s an incentive to keep training hard.

I reckon powerlifters are the hardest kunts in the gym.Add to that barely anyone over the age of 40 powerlifts because its too fucking hard,then your "rumblings" about it only being a shallow talent pool are misplaced.Showing up to masters nats is an achievement in itself.

Last edited:
I feel that where you are ranked at end of year is more important,

Not sure why you think this. It's more of an interesting note at the end of the year, not anything of major importance. Why? Because at the end of the day, it's who holds the gold medal that counts.

Or you could just go to a proper powerlifting rankings page:

https://powerliftingaustralia.com/australian-rankings/

http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/championships/ranking.html

Not sure why you think this. It's more of an interesting note at the end of the year, not anything of major importance. Why? Because at the end of the day, it's who holds the gold medal that counts

exactly right.Sparty train hard,get your mechanics of your squat correct and you too could win.i think you are starting to see it aint that easy bud.the winner last yr in your grade went 172.5-95-205.u got your work cut out for you.even if you squat 150 you can make up ground with your bench and then shoot out on the deadlift.

no, I am not disrespecting anyone winning major titles. I am just allowing for the many older people who can not afford to compete all over the place in an expensive sport.

it is a fact that very few older people turn up to major events, so rankings can have obvious importance.

exactly right.Sparty train hard,get your mechanics of your squat correct and you too could win.i think you are starting to see it aint that easy bud.the winner last yr in your grade went 172.5-95-205.u got your work cut out for you.even if you squat 150 you can make up ground with your bench and then shoot out on the deadlift.

I agree, getting ready for a strength sport comp is hard, especially if you have niggling injuries.

no, I am not disrespecting anyone winning major titles. I am just allowing for the many older people who can not afford to compete all over the place in an expensive sport.

it is a fact that very few older people turn up to major events, so rankings can have obvious importance.

not sure where APU will be holding their nationals.when i lived in Shepparton and Cobram it was an easy train ride down to Melbourne.it did cost me a bit to stay at a motel but it was worth it.i could put my feet up.cant remember how much it cost for the nats but it was more expensive than a regular comp.compared to other hobbies i thought powerlifting was relatively cheap.shoulda picked faster Chris.lol.

the reality is when i competed in 2014 and 2015 the top masters in my weight class didnt come to the masters Nats and picked comps closer to home.They were far better than me and incumbents so would of been an automatic choice for Wilks for international events.However usually he picks 2 teams with 4 spots open in each category i think so if you were a battler like me,it was necessary to do the bigger comp to get your name up there.
I had no idea noone else was coming and resigned myself to being an also ran,because i assumed the big names were coming.i still trained with a purpose so was surprised when the nominations came out 3 weeks before the comp that my name was the only 1 in my category in 2014.
Chris if you have international designs its best you do the masters nats but i see and understand where you are coming from.i was lucky i had money in the bank.i had no debt and lived economically so could afford to splash a bit of cash out.

to represent Australia internationally does cost a bit of money.I got lucky that it was in Melbourne in 2014 and trained my little heart out knowing i probably wouldnt get another opportunity.Wilks does send strong teams but not the strongest due to the financial barrier i think.im only guessing.people get injured too.But yeah the thing is tho if you make the worlds you only have to compete once a year if you are a master,correct me if im wrong.

Last edited:
the reality is when i competed in 2014 and 2015 the top masters in my weight class didnt come to the masters Nats and picked comps closer to home.They were far better than me and incumbents so would of been an automatic choice for Wilks for international events.However usually he picks 2 teams with 4 spots open in each category i think so if you were a battler like me,it was necessary to do the bigger comp to get your name up there.
I had no idea noone else was coming and resigned myself to being an also ran,because i assumed the big names were coming.i still trained with a purpose so was surprised when the nominations came out 3 weeks before the comp that my name was the only 1 in my category in 2014.
Chris if you have international designs its best you do the masters nats but i see and understand where you are coming from.i was lucky i had money in the bank.i had no debt and lived economically so could afford to splash a bit of cash out.

no I don't have any such desires, even if I was to prove good enough which I doubt.

no I don't have any such desires, even if I was to prove good enough which I doubt.

this is where u and i differ.i trained solely for that particular purpose in 2013 and 2014 knowing i was going to turn 40 2 months before the master nats and the Asia Oceanias were in Melbs.i was scoffed at as well by everyone that knew me when i told them i was going to represent Australia,the people that i trained with and even my wife.it made me more determined.Absolutely nobody believed this little guy from a shithole in NZ with no background in strength sports and puny arms could do it.Age grade whilst not easy,is much easier than open lifting so i knew i had a chance even if i squeezed in the last spot or had to drop weight.

Last edited:
that is fine, we all have different goals.

I am also very competitive, including giving all on platform. but I merely compete against myself; I don't worry about who can beat me as this out of my control.

that is fine, we all have different goals.

I am also very competitive, including giving all on platform. but I merely compete against myself; I don't worry about who can beat me as this out of my control.

ive always been extremely competitive from a very young age.everything i do.but i do realise that theres people out there that ill never beat,but you can adapt to the situation.its not whos the best but whos in the right place at the right time with powerlifting.i realise im extremely limited,dude i only started lifting seriously in 2010.i remember buying a bench in 2008 but hardly used it,i remember going to a mates house in 2009 after work and benching 98x4 for lols but no,im not that experienced compared to u guys.
I did start training hard in 2010 onwards because i got an easier job that paid the bills and gave me free time,i was in good shape from forestry work so my conditioning enabled me to start going hard.i have to thank my wife as well,we both worked so that made it easy financially.i could afford to start doing hard training programs.

Last edited:
gerry, you have clearly done well in terms of your results.

im an opportunist.learnt from picking fruit and working in the bush.ive learnt how to read situations in a physical environment and "cream it out" as the saying goes in the bush.this means if you see a good path and easy trees ,hammer it.I dont think im that good,going to competition and seeing some mighty dudes really humbled me but yeah ive done ok considering im a weak kunt.lol.