• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

WoodyAllen

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/questions/why-do-muscles-get-bigger-after-exercise

...I go to the gym and I lift a very light load, I can do lots and lots of reps, and actually what I train there is more the endurance of the muscle. If I want to make the muscle bigger, what I’ve got to do is apply a heavier load but I can only do less reps, and what starts to happen is, and one of the misconceptions is that we increase the number of muscle fibres. It doesn’t happen in the human. What we get is a hypertrophy, we get an increase in the size of the fibre.

How is it misleading? I thought it fairly accurately summed up the difference between training for endurance or strength.

What we need to talk about is “force production” and how do we do this and how do we increase the recruitment of motor units.
studies suggest it’s what the bodybuilders where doing in the so called golden era and that’s a rep range between 8~12 with occasional ranges in the 15~20 world but for the powerlifter 3~5 does focus on the slow twitch which is probably more beneficial but we are talking about “specificity” here.
It’s not optimal hypertrophy

Wilks uses a pyramid when training his strength athletes,a few weeks of 3x8 then 3x5s then a final week of 2x2.looks a lot like wat Ed Coan used to do.at no stage are singles used.its interesting that you can increase your 1 rep max in competition without even going anywhere near singles in training.

i used to use smolov to peak for competition my best squat was 210 with more in the tank i reckon after a weeks rest after a 3rd week of 185x3x10.i felt very conditioned and the comp wasnt hard however i did find walking out the weight was a bit of an issue as i had nowhere near that on my back in training.im not sure whether for me personally not training in the 90% range in training is a good idea as you can be shocked by the weight when you get to comp.

Last edited:
in order to be the best you can be i think you need to be proficient at all rep ranges.however you need to get specific for leading into comp.

lol im looking at these 2 guys who arent strong disagreeing with someone who is fuckin strong.i wonder who is right?let the reader decide.

lol im looking at these 2 guys who arent strong disagreeing with someone who is fuckin strong.i wonder who is right?let the reader decide.

I don’t know whether you’re serious, taking the piss or just trying to be humorous but you are a creepy unit and I suspect sherk would ban you in a heartbeat only that there are 3 people on this forum lol.
either way keep up the good work, I’m proud of you.

I don’t know whether you’re serious, taking the piss or just trying to be humorous but you are a creepy unit and I suspect sherk would ban you in a heartbeat only that there are 3 people on this forum lol.

And, plus, what’s a village without an idiot.

haha you re weak and tiny.So is Darkoz.

I say misleading because his summary simply says, do 3 sets of 5 reps, that's a vey simplistic and/or ignorant conclusion.
I reckon he recently got his diploma/degree and armed with a little knowledge thinks he has it all worked out.
Most studies aren't worth the price of toilet paper.

Last edited:
I say misleading because his summary simply says, do 3 sets of 5 reps, that's a vey simplistic and/or ignorant conclusion.
I reckon he recently got his diploma/degree and armed with a little knowledge thinks he has it all worked out.
Most studies aren't worth the price of toilet paper.

Wilks the Australian powerlifting coach does precisely that...3 sets of five with a final week of 2x2.it works cos ive seen it work.Darko you are out of your depth here again.