• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Are lifters with tiny roms stronger ?does it hurt the sport from a mainstream perspective to see the manipulation of powerlifting rules?Now dont get me wrong im not trying to come across as disrespectful to peeps who train hard and put up huge numbers but to my way of thinking a big conventional pull is badass.Ditto for bench.You ve probabaly seen the likes of Eddie Berglund benching 200 kgs at 66 where he barely presses it.Is this right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F75TiqljCg0&feature=youtu.be

plagiarised from a reddit thread and the overwhelming majority thinks people like me should stfu and accept.if i cant beat i should sumo myself.now 2 sumo pullers are in my top 5 of powerlifters ive met so im not too fussed but interested in your thoughts.

Last edited:
i think its harder to master,you have to be a real technician to get good at it.my dislike is rooted in jealousy to be honest with you.id like to see how much these sumo ninjas could pull conventional.

PL's do anything to minimize their ROM.
Kinda looks silly really, but if it's legal then why not?

It's an interesting thing to ponder.

Personally I cringe at strongman lifts being called deadlifts / squats etc, when they are not the same movement as the powerlifts. Same as using monolifts and deadlift bars etc. Not to say that the people that use them aren't strong. The same could possibly be said about some of the benching that gets passed and extremely limited ROM sumo deadlifts. On the other hand, if a person has certain leverages due to genetics, should they not be allowed to exploit them?

Minimising ROM is what it's about, there's nothing technical about it sumo or conventional, it's about as basic as it gets.

I guess it depends on the how legitimate fellow competitors find it (since powerlifting is barely a spectator sport).

I guess it depends on the how legitimate fellow competitors find it (since powerlifting is barely a spectator sport).

it makes me jealous.it feels like im pulling the farkin bar to the moon and to see a guy pull it half the distance or less makes me cry.haha.i did try it and got up to 90% of my conventional pretty quick but it feels funny.like someone is torturing my hips.itll either break the floor or it wont

Minimising ROM is what it's about, there's nothing technical about it sumo or conventional, it's about as basic as it gets.

both Chris and Ashe have 200+ deadlifts in competition so are qualified to comment.Shrekky trains with a trap bar and ok numbers.wats your best deadlift?let me help you with my interpretation of what you call "easy"

to pull a max deadlift you need

.1.mongrel.lots of it.the ability to deliver and withstand force
.2.the recovery of a racehorse.deadlifts fuck me big time.
.3.a clever training methodology.remember you are training 2 other lifts as well.
.4.the ability to see where your weakpoints are throughout the lift and pick the right accessories to strengthen it.

Last edited:
Gerry, tbh, I don't think I have much mongrel in me, unless you happen to be a government agency.

like all sports and activities, your ability to apply yourself to something is often shaped by practice and experience.

I don't see deadlifting as that difficult to give near 100%.

Personally I find deadlifting to be a lot harder than squatting, and benching is even worse! Most people I know that compete do Sumo due to needing to move the bar less, and their leverages. I don't currently compete, and prefer to do conventional.

I agree that heavy deadlifts take a lot out of you; but so do other exercises. I have been on the ground for 20 minutes after a set of kettle raises - most reps for two minutes.

Gerry, tbh, I don't think I have much mongrel in me, unless you happen to be a government agency.

like all sports and activities, your ability to apply yourself to something is often shaped by practice and experience.

I don't see deadlifting as that difficult to give near 100%.

this is probably why i can pull more than you.

I agree that heavy deadlifts take a lot out of you; but so do other exercises. I have been on the ground for 20 minutes after a set of kettle raises - most reps for two minutes.

last comp i did in august 2015,i nominated 235 as my 2nd,pretty confident i would get it even tho it was an equal pb.missed it due to trying to anticipate the down call even tho i pulled it.my 3rd deadlift came around so quickly.i wasnt recovered and pulled the slowest hardest deadlift of my life.it took me weeks to become right again.lol @ "20 mins of recovery from kettlebells".deadlifts are far more taxing on your nervous system

last comp i did in august 2015,i nominated 235 as my 2nd,pretty confident i would get it even tho it was an equal pb.missed it due to trying to anticipate the down call even tho i pulled it.my 3rd deadlift came around so quickly.i wasnt recovered and pulled the slowest hardest deadlift of my life.it took me weeks to become right again.lol @ "20 mins of recovery from kettlebells".deadlifts are far more taxing on your nervous system

Gerry, anyone can do a deadlift flat out. easy as. if that is your claim to fame, I feel sad for you.

Gerry, anyone can do a deadlift flat out. easy as. if that is your claim to fame, I feel sad for you.

i dont have a good deadlift sparty.i barely trained it in aussie and find it difficult to stay on track with it.leading into that competition i never touched any deadlifting for about 4-5 weeks because of smolovs,im just giving you a bit of my small experience.

We had a few deadlift parties here in nz with workmates,i believe its a skill to keep pulling even though your body is telling you to put it down.you can see how much resolve someone has

the difference between squatting and deadlifting is deadlift is a bigger grind.theres very little to no stretch reflex involved.with squats if you have got your dander up and are confident enough to hit the hole fast,you will bounce someway up.with deadlifting you dont have that luxury.its basically all you from the floor.