• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Just thinking about Coleman and the comments made, so this comes under the banner of both bodybiulding and all strength sports.

Does somebody really need to work themselves down to a nub in order to create size and strength?

of course not, but try to tell that to many young Neanderthals.

yes, there at many ways to stimulate, one or 2 hard sets per muscle sparingly per week or a bit more volume with less intensity, but training a muscle to oblivion just not necessary or even desirable.

More often than not I reckon I a trainee halved the rate they currently train and workout they’d garner better results.

Even I am guilty of this, it’s taken me years to figure this out.

i understand training needs repetition, some moves are quite complex in sports and some need more training time than others, but “working out in the gym is a very simple task, the skill level required is minimal, but the ability for one person to the next to add muscle tissue is going to be completely different for each individual.

true.

however, I do believe most people can gain muscle quite easily with right training and diet with sustained application.

we are not all going to be huge freaks, but most of us should be capable of reasonable size and strength.

Took me many years to realise and start wondering why my body was packing up but the gains were marginal at best.

Only ever taught to train like a demon and smash everything.

Age no longer affords me that luxury and trying to train 'smarter' as they say.

that is right. I was just saying yesterday at army gym that not many people can bench 140kg in any gym, yet virtually al bust their balls. it is not merely about gut busting training. it is about doing enough to stimulate and doing enough to recover in terms of rest and eating. if you don't get both right, you will struggle after initial 12 months when virtually an method works for a beginner.

true.

however, I do believe most people can gain muscle quite easily with right training and diet with sustained application.

we are not all going to be huge freaks, but most of us should be capable of reasonable size and strength.

Totally agree with this.
But to add, a beginner will add a tremendous amount of muscle in the first 3 months regardless of what system or philosophy, what’s the key here do you think?

my thoughts are just simply consistency.
after that, working out safely and seldom is key.

as for training, is repetitive movement or frequency the way?

I think for novices, often young, just coordination and rising hormones go a long way.

even some older novice who are overweight are going to make good gains even in calorie lost state.

however, for the more experienced, I don't think there can ever be a magical way. for me. key is enough stimulation, enough rest and an ability to know when to push hard and back off. there are simply too many massive and powerful athletes who train entirely different to get results.

imo, I would only sparingly go flat out. i prefer to train 3-4 sets at 60-65% of intensity with just 1 minute rest for most of my training. I never was huge or immensely strong, but achieved reasonable strength levels at a rather skinny 100kg weight for my height. if I had kept eating, I would have done better.

main thing is to find a way that works and suits one's mindset.

main thing is to find a way that works and suits one's mindset.
Because training is voluntary and there are no widely-agreed metrics of success, this is true. Across the fitness world, there is no system.

But I think of it this way: if primary and secondary school were not compulsory, what would education look like? And how many adults would have even basic literacy and numeracy?

Really, that's where "fitness" is. Education needs a system to be effective for more than a tiny minority of people. So does fitness.

Last edited:
But people don't have the basics. See, you say, "find a way that works and suits your mindset," and I hear the unspoken addition, "- once you've dealt with the basics." But Johnny Curlbro and Jane Cardiobunny don't hear that unspoken bit, so they read the first bit as "just do whatever I feel like!"

There's no system​. People use their instincts. The 15 year old kid who dropped 100kg on his neck was following his instincts. The people who endlessly spin their wheels using the same weight or treadmill speed for years are following their instincts. Instincts must be informed by a system.

Last edited:
Does somebody really need to work themselves down to a nub in order to create size and strength?

I used to over-train for years, it fucked me sideways. I had good endurance/stamina and was pretty lean from all the multitude of sets and med-high reps and different exercises. But the down side is i often got sick, feverish, flues and just feeling weak as shit, it also prompted me to keep on increasing doses of gear and using too much for extended periods of time in order to maintain what i was doing.

Stimulate, but an occasional annihilation does wonders. :)

A good hard thrashing is productive i believe, really slaughter yourself in the gym, practically kill yourself in there, this is the stuff of champions.

the ability for one person to the next to add muscle tissue is going to be completely different for each individual.

Genetics also play a massive role. Some people simply can't put on mass no matter what they do. And you got those ectomorph skinny kunts that are 6foot+ tall but weight like 60kg or some shit, their probably ******s.

More often than not I reckon I a trainee halved the rate they currently train and workout they’d garner better results.

Whilst I agree with most of this statement, I actually think that there are also plenty of people who do not train anywhere near hard enough. By hard training I don't mean breaking yourself but consistent hard work week after week.

I still think annihilation is the way for growth, my biceps are kunce, only way they grow is to smash them hard, heavy and lots of sets. if I don't do that they feel like they are shrinking.

I still think annihilation is the way for growth, my biceps are kunce, only way they grow is to smash them hard, heavy and lots of sets. if I don't do that they feel like they are shrinking.

Yeah, no doubt “smashing them hard” is really the only way to stimulate some sort of reaction.

My take on this annihilation is akin to sitting under the sun to get a tan.
and we all know how to get the bronzed Aussie look.

Some need to work a little harder at getting it due to the color of skin and through trial and error we work it out.

Spend the right amount of time under the and you don’t get sunburnt, too much and the cells in the skin are unable to cope.

Last edited:
Whilst I agree with most of this statement, I actually think that there are also plenty of people who do not train anywhere near hard enough. By hard training I don't mean breaking yourself but consistent hard work week after week.

Yep consistently working out is key.

finding out the frequency and exercise is something you learn by trial and error.