• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
A TEENAGE boy is in a critical condition in intensive care, after he became trapped under equipment at a Brisbane gym.
Emergency services were called to the incident at the Pine Rivers PCYC about 8.30pm on Tuesday.
QAS confirmed a teenage boy, believed to be aged 15, was taken to the Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital in a serious condition. His condition has now been updated to critical and his family is believed to be by his side.

PCYC chief executive Phil Schultz said the organisation’s thoughts were with the teen’s family and friends during this “difficult time”.
“The person involved was a young male, who was seriously injured while exercising at the gym,” he said.
“First aid was administered by PCYC staff and other members before the injured male was transferred to Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital by the Queensland Ambulance Service.
“We are deeply saddened by this incident and are offering support to all PCYC Pine Rivers members and staff.”
Mr Schultz said support was also being provided to the teenager’s family.
Workplace Health and Safety are investigating the incident.
The Courier-Mail understands the boy was pinned by the neck while working out.
In a Facebook post, Pine Rivers PCYC said the gym would be closed “until further notice” and thanked people for their patience.

"Pinned by the neck while working out"

So benching more than he was capable of with no spotter or safeties? I still don't know why there aren't better bench presses with safeties available in most gyms. Must be the most common place for someone to get stuck under a bar.

heard on the news this morning that he weighs 65kg and was trying to press 100kg

Yeah. Pretty tragic that someone has died because a gym has invested 100's of 1000's in treadmills but phukall on a decent barbell and some safety stops. Family must feel like crap. A real waste of a life. Sounds like he donated organs, so someone will be helped from this horrible event.

lol thats a darwin award
I have to ask why you think that's stupid.
It was a smidge over 1.5 times his bodyweight. Most people are quite capable of doing that, I have been since I was around what he weighed.

You can't blame the kid for trying to push things and improve himself, that's why most of us are in the gym. Like I said earlier, there should be safeties on the average bench.

At 15 though?

He would have been in grade 9 i would imagine. Benching that much weight while that young and potentially that inexperienced with no spotter and obviously no one around him to help is pretty bad. Its shit that he has died

It was a smidge over 1.5 times his bodyweight. Most people are quite capable of doing that, I have been since I was around what he weighed.

You can't blame the kid for trying to push things and improve himself, that's why most of us are in the gym. Like I said earlier, there should be safeties on the average bench.
In reality most people couldn't bench half their body weight, don't compare it to someone with some experience

The weight he was attempting is irrelevant. The issue is the lack of basic, simple safety stops, not whether he was capable of pressing a given weight.

Sure, a spotter could help, but frankly, I have been in a crowded gym, looked around and seen no one that I could trust to spot me on bench. Besides, when shit happens, spotters are not that much help. Steel safety stands, set to the right height, would ensure zero injuries.

The other issue is second rate equipment. Such as this bench setup with shit safety stands:

I'm pretty sure that's an ER rack. The had a few of them at a comp I was at last year and you could easily pull the safety stands away from the uprights, which is what happened in the above video. They used an ER rack on the platform at the comp, but they had made longer safety stand arms that were jammed up tight against the uprights, so it wasn't a standard bench rack.

The gym should be held accountable for the avoidable death of this kid. If the bench had proper safety stops, it wouldn't have happened.

Shitty safety stands:

phoca_thumb_l_phoca_thumb_l_10-0011111111111.jpg

Proper safety stands:

6d67bfb8d72754d738db4c7671fcd30d.jpg

olympic-er-rack-6055.jpg

How many rep’s was he doing do you know?

it appears like one rep.

Ouch... Yeah. Shit all-round, but agree with Headley. At 15 I could barely lift my school bag, then again; I take it this kid was athletic so was probably more able than I would have been at that age.