• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Just the eccentric part, apparently.

Too soon?

let us assume he did a one rep attempt, he could of halved the weight or even less and done 10 rep’s for a better training effect.

this is one reason I dislike the methods of the powerlifter, it’s necessary for the comp, and training the One rep important, but it is absolutely idiotic for numptys who want to look good.

The tag of (powerlifter, tough guy, big guts, beard, tatts and loud music is a trend worse than CrossFit

The tag of (powerlifter, tough guy, big guts, beard, tatts and loud music is a trend worse than CrossFit

latest

Yeah. Pretty tragic that someone has died because a gym has invested 100's of 1000's in treadmills but phukall on a decent barbell and some safety stops. Family must feel like crap. A real waste of a life. Sounds like he donated organs, so someone will be helped from this horrible event.

Most P.C.Y.C.s (Police Citizens Youth Clubs) are Boxing/Kickboxing/Martial Arts dominant. No fancy Powerlifting chit there Woodster. The one I used to train at trained world champion Boxers and Kickboxers - no safeties etc there. You do see chit done that would make Powerlifters and Bodybuilders scratch their Heads.

I do agree that all Gyms should invest in Benches with Safeties, but how many do? Not a lot.

True that. Haven't personally been into one gym that has safety's on the racks like the ones shown. Only 'safety' I've seen is the smith machine :p

Most P.C.Y.C.s (Police Citizens Youth Clubs) are Boxing/Kickboxing/Martial Arts dominant. No fancy Powerlifting chit there Woodster. The one I used to train at trained world champion Boxers and Kickboxers - no safeties etc there. You do see chit done that would make Powerlifters and Bodybuilders scratch their Heads.

I do agree that all Gyms should invest in Benches with Safeties, but how many do? Not a lot.

A proper bench with safety stops is not a "fancy" powerlifting setup. It's a bench. A proper bench that a gym that offers it for use to the public should be providing, not the cheap one with no safety stops.

Brakes on a car? Nope. We don't have none o' dat dere fancy racing stuff. Seat belts? No, but we do have a cigarette lighter and a radio.

The fact that a gym decides to skimp on a proper bench and get a cheapie without safety stops, which can kill you, but fork out literally 10x more on a single treadmill shows that they are placing their clientele at risk.

Yes, you are right. Gyms should invest in proper benches. Not many do. Someone needs their arse kicked to make the others jump into line.

It will be interesting if they take legal action against the gym. Surely the little disclaimer you sign won't hold up against a death? I'd imagine it could be argued that a safe environment wasn't provided....

It's probably what needs to happen to force a change like you say Woody

Its such a simple fix. You can even get it done for existing shitty "no safety stops" bench setups, squat stands and smith machines.

A run of the mill "fitness" gym caters to the beginners. They, more than anyone, need to have the safety stuff in place. In a serious powerlifting gym, they already have that stuff plus the people who train there are aware of the dangers and take steps to eliminate the risk. Cos if you get injured your training sucks and we don't want that. Right?

It's like a go cart racing track where anyone can walk in and get in a cart. The cart has cross over seat belts. You have to wear a helmet. You can only drive around the track in one direction. It's basic safety. Formula 1 cars already has all dat chit. You don't need to worry about it. Plus they have a load of other safety stuff on top of that, above and beyond basic road safety.

It's the beginners that need the basic protection. Gyms across the globe don't have that because they put the $ first. Why don't they have safety stops on bench, squat and smith machines? Cos it costs another 1/4 of a treadmill. Phuck them all.

The best protection for beginners is instruction. For example, if all the benches had safeties, people would still have to know how to set them up at the right height, right? "Oh but that's easy, only an idiot can't figure that out." Yes, and only an idiot tries benching a weight twice as much as they've ever tried before while alone with no spotter. So whatever equipment you have, beginners need instruction.

But most don't accept instruction when offered (2/3 of new members refuse the free intro sessions, and 2/3 of those accepting them don't follow the programme given them, and 2/3 of those don't progress the effort as instructed), and if there were enough instructors for everyone, the gym would be too expensive for anyone. I mean the big place I worked at had 15 trainers and 4,000-5,000 members, I don't care how good you are, you can't instruct 300 people. 50, tops, spread through the week, and if everyone comes at scheduled times reliably - but then you'd need 6 times as many staff, and gyms would be $120pw instead of $20pw. And this assumes you can find enough competent trainers anyway.

It's one reason I just have the double garage with 20-24 people. No idiocy allowed. No bench with safeties, but nobody is loading it up with twice as much as they've ever used before, and there's always a spotter.

No doubt the boy's family will sue, and no doubt they'll win, because nowadays everything is always someone else's fault. So a place which over the years probably changed thousands of young people's lives for the better will close down because one kid was, as 15 year olds are, an idiot.

Last edited: