• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Damn good question whitey

One of the best books ever written is; Kelsos shrug book.
He notes the importance for scapula health and how important it is especially for power lifters and oly lifters.

There are many forms of shurgs and he covers them all.
Every lifter should own this book.

Other exercises that I think are neglected are all forms of rowing I think people confuse this exercise with chin ups thinkt that the row is a lat dominated exercise.

Other exercises that I think are neglected are all forms of rowing I think people confuse this exercise with chin ups thinkt that the row is a lat dominated exercise.

What about close grip pull downs?
i prefer them to horizontal rows.
They work very closely to the same way rows do, right?

I like me a bit of rowing

yeah
its an exercise that strengthens the upper back, neck and shoulders, focus on contracting the shoulder blades, a wider grip as opposed to narrow is best.

nothing looks more impressive than good developed rear delts.

images

yeah
its an exercise that strengthens the upper back, neck and shoulders, focus on contracting the shoulder blades, a wider grip as opposed to narrow is best.

nothing looks more impressive than good developed rear delts.
I like to do both wide and narrow

Agree with all that
but my q is
does it make a difference if do both close and narrow as pull downs in the vertical plane rather than rowing in the horizontal plane?

A wide grip literally prevents much in the way of stretching and limits the ROM.

if those two requirements are important to you as they should be then you’ve turned a very productive exercise into a very poor exercise.
the total Rom 180 to 45 degrees of rotation around the axis of the shoulder.

so there’s also no full contraction or full extension of the involved muscles.

240 degrees of the shoulder in the Machine pullover is rotating resistance the resistance is applied throughout the whole rom and automatically varies, so you can see the difference

Last edited:
But with the chin-up and row, the two exercises have emphasis on different muscle groups, so you should do them both.
finding the optimal grip spacing is achieved by placing the hands in the so called contracted position of the movement.

What about grip?

Pull downs or chins.
Pronated, supinated, neutral (hammer grip)???

Rows,
Overhand, underhand, palms facing each other?

So your asking if you should?
Pull wide and narrow?
Row wide and narrow?

1. no fuken, not asking if I should, I do
2. no, not asking if wide and narrow, doing both
3. ??? dunno how you understood the to be my question

I’ll ask again in English fuken.

Do rows and pull downs (using whatever attachment) work the same muscles?

A wide grip literally prevents much in the way of stretching and limits the ROM.

if those two requirements are important to you as they should be then you’ve turned a very productive exercise into a very poor exercise.
the total Rom 180 to 45 degrees of rotation around the axis of the shoulder.

so there’s also no full contraction or full extension of the involved muscles.

240 degrees of the shoulder in the Machine pullover is rotating resistance the resistance is applied throughout the whole rom and automatically varies, so you can see the difference

do you have a simpler/ shorter cut of this so dumb Kunce like me get it?

1. no fuken, not asking if I should, I do
2. no, not asking if wide and narrow, doing both
3. ??? dunno how you understood the to be my question

I’ll ask again in English fuken.

Do rows and pull downs (using whatever attachment) work the same muscles?

Simple answer

No, however all the muscles in the back are playing a role, but the row emphasis the muscle that control the shoulders, the neck and anything and everything between the shoulder blades.

the pull down down right places an emphasis on the lats as in the lats are doing most of the mechanical work.
the biceps are rooted well before the lats get even a little tired.

the machine pullover builds thickness in the lats very quickly