• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Using the barbell to curl is not just a bicep exercise.
i would never recommend to anyone to use an ezy-curl bar, if you want healthy elbows and shoulders supinate the hand fully.

the main function of the bicep is to lift the arm over your head.

the bicep curl is a good, very good exercise but it does not train the bicep fully, to prove this.

make a fist supinate the hand, flex the bicep, now while flexed lift your arm and draw your fist down behind you back and hold and flex your bicep hard for one minute, then let me know what you feel.

So.. for truly hitting the bicep; what would one recommend?

I don't think there is one, but if one has a barbell I believe the curl is the best option mainly because (like the squat) it just builds overall growth.

in fact using the two combined with a barbell row, a chin-up, a dip in a workout is the best all-time combination, and heavyweights is the go.

Arthur Jones designed a machine that never really became popular because for the first time the exercise felt damn hard and uncomfortable.

Do you recommend specific rotator cuff exercises, if so, which ones?

Hard to find a specific machinery, but I believe a good cable set-up is the best.
angle yourself so the resistance is highest at contraction of the muscle targeted.

Hard to find a specific machinery, but I believe a good cable set-up is the best.
angle yourself so the resistance is highest at contraction of the muscle targeted.

I thought keeping the upper arm parallel to the ground way was the way.
What kind of angle are you suggesting?

I'm over fckn shoulder injuries.

I thought keeping the upper arm parallel to the ground way was the way.
What kind of angle are you suggesting?

I'm over fckn shoulder injuries.

My left shoulder gives me grief, I'm a lefty and racquet sports and cricket made sure of that.

for myself I went to a Physio, a few actually... to isolate the problem, I can't do too much about this one.

but when I mean angle I mean instead of standing directly diagonal to the pulley turn a bit so that at full contraction you have maximum resistance, you know? Instead of the cable resting against the chest.

Really?

Fuck, I should look for a curl bar then.
Do your wrists get twisted painfully at the bottom of the movement? At full extension, I can't keep my palms in contact with a straight bar unless I have a crazy wide grip.

Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk

Do your wrists get twisted painfully at the bottom of the movement? At full extension, I can't keep my palms in contact with a straight bar unless I have a crazy wide grip.

Not really, I have a fairly narrow grip (like last two fingers hitting thighs) but I do relax my grip a bit at the bottom and let fingers sort of hold the bar then tense/pull at the same time. Probably doing it wrong (like most things) and my brocurls are pretty soft for reps (41kg) so I'm probably not the best to take advice from, it's not something I've ever thought about to be honest until I saw your post the other day. I'll go have a proper look and post back.

How flexible are your wrists in general, I have pretty good movement laterally to the thumb side so maybe that helps.

Just tried it with a tight as fuck grip at the bottom and didn't feel any strain on the wrists.
Maybe it's just me. I retract my shoulder blades and stand up pretty straight to curl and I just can't grip a straight bar unless my hands are really wide.

I agree with Goosey about supination being important but I think you need something to work against. With a straight bar you are already fully supinated to begin with so there is no resistance for that part of the movement imo.

I have never really tried it but I have long thought a good bicep movement would be forearm rotations holding a cricket stump or hammer handle so that maximum resistance occurs at full contraction. I'm not convinced that the bicep is a back scratching muscle like Goosey explained above.