• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
G

Gurj

I have been reading some of the reviews with interest as I am trying to work out what I need to get for a garage gym. I currently have a powertec leverage system which I will be selling.

What I have at the moment is
Force USA Ranger barbell
Olympic dumbbells
300kg of Olympic weights force USA and other

So I was looking to add a power rack and bench my shortlist includes. As a newbie in not allowed to post links so apologies

Barbarian pro commercial from Sam's fitness
Ziva XP power cage
Aussie strength SXP3

Or a half rack from raw fitness H17

Bench
Barbarian FOR bench

Kettlebells from raw fitness

Is it worth getting a lat pull down Such as the barbarian plate loaded version?

I don't think I need anything else unless there are particular recommendations.

Your thoughts on the above would be appreciated as would useful alternatives.

Hi I live in castle hill. It is on gum tree, I can't seem to post links. It is on for 999

I have been looking at a lot of home/garage gym vids and the one thing that keeps coming up is that most of them are over equipped. Many are gyms owned by "collectors" who seem to think that more is better. 7-10 barbells? And all of them are crappy but they spend $3k on a leg press. Anyway, the point I make is that you probably need a lot less than you think. Many of them are trying to be a commercial gym with the space packed with machines. About 90% of the guys look like they don't lift.

Power racks are actually pretty crappy for squats, but you can make do. They can also be used for bench press but probably their most useful feature is that they provide a structure to use lots of other things, such as dip bars, cable row, pull-ups, landmine work, etc.

I am building my own gym next month and, gasp, it won't have a power rack. Nope. A lot of the stuff will be home made, most of the other stuff will be second hand but it will have a calibrated competition barbell and calibrated plates. You know, the important stuff (if you are competing, not so much if you are a bodybuilder or just a gym bro).

Have a think about what your goals are. That will dictate what you need, as opposed to what you want or what others have.

That's a good little piece of advice there woodrow, if you're going to buy a power rack you should at least bolt the bastard to the floor.

if you are dreaming of powerlifting - train at a powerlifting gym I reckon, you want to "train" in the right conditions

Last edited:
On the other hand If you just want a nice looking body like Barry's even just a kettle bell and a little hard work will do

When I was younger I used to train 4 times a week and player soccer twice a week at a commercial gym.
Now with 2 kids and work commitments I have pretty much done zilch. This soccer season was awful due to my lack of strength and fitness. I don't have time for a gym membership so I want to set something up at home to help me get some strength back, and it can be passed down to my son in a few years.

Basically buy it once and be done with it.

The powertec is fine but I miss free weights, and I don't have time for lots of muscle isolation.

I think those racks are a bit of overkill personally. I mean sure they're nice and if you've got the coin then go for it, but the average guy training in his garage would be fine with a rack or half rack at 1/3 of the price.

I'd go with a high/low pulley one or at least that has the option to add it later. Yes you can get by with other exercises but it's still nice to have

I reckon something like this would be a decent bit of kit...you could add the cable crossover if you've got the space and still come in at half the cost of the "commercial" racks. Take 10% off the cost as they're a forum sponsor

http://www.flexequipment.com.au/?rf=kw&kw=pc5+

I agree with Woody though, spend the money on the stuff you'll be using the most, not what's just there to hold the bar when you're not using it...but obviously don't go too cheap as you want it to save you when you fail a lift

"get in the cage"

Yeah PC5 or if you like to work outside of the cage and get claustrophobic like me.
A similar option would be the HR33

The Lat/Seated Row attachments are optional, where you can always add on later.

" sorry cannot attach links or pics yet " Jump to ' Flex Fitness Equipment ' website

:D

I think those racks are a bit of overkill personally. I mean sure they're nice and if you've got the coin then go for it, but the average guy training in his garage would be fine with a rack or half rack at 1/3 of the price.

I'd go with a high/low pulley one or at least that has the option to add it later. Yes you can get by with other exercises but it's still nice to have

I reckon something like this would be a decent bit of kit...you could add the cable crossover if you've got the space and still come in at half the cost of the "commercial" racks. Take 10% off the cost as they're a forum sponsor

I agree with Woody though, spend the money on the stuff you'll be using the most, not what's just there to hold the bar when you're not using it...but obviously don't go too cheap as you want it to save you when you fail a lift