• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Jimmy123

hi everyone,

I recently was lucky enough to be able to get a DEXA scan and am involved in a body re-composition competition, that goes for 3 months starting end of August.

I have some goals in my head about what I would like to achieve. I was hoping I could get some advice from the forum members around my plan and my calories.

My beginning stats as per the scan:

Height 179cm
Weight 73.175 kg
Lean Muscle 78.1% (57.1 kg)
Body Fat 16.7% (12.2 kg)

I must say I was a bit surprised at the body fat % as I thought I would be less based on what I look like in the mirror - I also had one of those electrical impediment things done recently and it told me I was 15.4% - the machine used was one of these: http://inbody.net.au/inbody-570/)

It also lists my resting metabolic rate at 1,681 calories / day.

My goal, however long it takes is to get to 80kg with 11.5% body fat - meaning I would need to:
- Gain 9.9 kg of muscle
- Lose 3 kg of fat

I do realise that achieving this in 3 months is probably not realistic - however the goal is what it is, if it takes longer that doesn't worry me at all.

- My plan is to lift weights 3 days per week, probably doing the PTC program on here
- One day a week I will do a circuit training thing I with my mates, it is a really good cardio workout and I love doing it and it is excellent cardio fitness
- I also am keen to do sprint training once per week, again I love doing it

Based on the calculations of the metabolic rate, they are suggesting I should be aiming for 2,800 calories a week.

I know the split is a bit arbitrary but 40/40/20 would = 280g P - 280g C - 62g F per day

Like everyone says I would of course like to build muscle without fat, but realise this isn't possible. I am not keen to pack on heaps of fat though.

Do you think it would be better to try to gain mass quickly, say to 82kg then diet back down, or do you think it would be better (easier?) to gradually sneak up on the 80kg mark.

Thanks everyone

J

As you quite rightly pointed out 9kg muscle gain in 3 months is pretty ambitious. You don't say in your post whether you currently workout or what history of excercise you have. If you totally new to weight training and a high responder then maybe it's possible but if you are a normal human probably not !!! My 2c worth is trying just try to sneak up on it slowly, set your calories around 500 over maintenance and work hard progressively increasing the weights, volume, intensity or all of them. There is no fast way to do this it just takes hard work, consistency and time.!

If you are natty and want to gain muscle train 5-6 days per week....and eat adequate carbs.

Day 1 - Push heavy
Day 2 - Pull heavy
Day 3 - Push light
Day 4 - Pull light
Day 5 - Push med
Day 6 - Pull med
Day 7 - Off/cardio

Thanks Simo, I've been doing exercise of various types (inc weight training) for 20 years so I don't believe I'd be in for any massive early gains.

Shrek, thanks for the input too