• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

spartacus

given all the excitement about supposed 'great' exercises like deadlift, what are your favorites exercises for each muscle groups that you would do for bodybuilding purposes.

Mine

thighs- good form (high bar) squats and/or lunges, leg press, leg extensions, leg curls, step ups, walking lunges, hyperextensions

chest and front delts- bench press, flies, dips, overhead presses

triceps- overhead tricep press, close grip bench, dips, bench dips, cable extensions

biceps- barbell curls, dumbbell curls, single arm cable curls

back and rear delts- chin-ups/pullups, upright rows, pulldowns, machine rows

calves- standing and seated

abs- situps, crunches and leg raises.

given all the excitement about supposed 'great' exercises like deadlift, what are your favorites exercises for each muscle groups that you would do for bodybuilding purposes.

Mine

thighs- good form (high bar) squats and/or lunges, leg press, leg extensions, leg curls, step ups, walking lunges, hyperextensions

chest and front delts- bench press, flies, dips, overhead presses

triceps- overhead tricep press, close grip bench, dips, bench dips, cable extensions

biceps- barbell curls, dumbbell curls, single arm cable curls

back and rear delts- chin-ups/pullups, upright rows, pulldowns, machine rows

calves- standing and seated

abs- situps, crunches and leg raises.

Squat and Bench Press. Good stuff Sparta? Any reason why they were included and not the DL pls?

bench press very straight forward exercise. contrary to what goosey said, i think some people get very good results from bench alone.

squats, done strict with good flexibility, also great and basic.
for myself, however, someone who lacks flexibility and has thigh strength imbalance, I prefer lunges with rear knee touching ground.

deadlifts ok, but i prefer other exercises to work hammies and lower back. hypers, lunges, step ups and leg curls.

i don't see need for exercises from floor which require skill and sound starting position.

Problem with Lunges @sparta is you can't load the Bar to get the Core activation like Squats IMHO!

that is true. but you can do other core work.

squats are great if you can do them; i have a severe muscle imbalance that causes lower back problems.

Why do 4 exercises to complete a task that can be acheived with one?

Just learn em. No big deal really.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Wonder what @Goosey says .........

we know @Darkoz will agree with it

mj-laughing.gif

Last edited:
Difficult to reply to this.

ln terms of "the exercise for particular muscles"
any exercise that places load on it from the fully contracted position to the fully stretched in a rotary movement where the resistance automatically varies throughout its ROM so as the resistance is constant.

for me personally?

at my time in life?;

neck; 4 way neck machine
shoulders; press, shrug and it's variations, chest press, single arm DB press.
chest; flys
abs; crunch, weighted
upper back, machine row
lower back; medx low back
overall back; pull-down machine (leverage)
butt; ISO-lateral leg-press
quad; heavy leg extension
hams; leg curl

then I have multi joint must haves; trap bar.

for a bb, most would never do one exercise for a variety of reasons.

same thing with many athletes.

they will try and condition certain body parts from a variety of angles for both strength and injury prevention reasons.

lifting a bar in one direction is pretty Neanderthal when compared to complex sport needs.

again, you make an assumption. i never said do all. i just put down my choice of exercises for muscle groups.

following agues that leg curls more effective for hammies than straight leg deadlifts.

http://www.fitnflexed.com/article/leg-curls-v-stiff-legged-dead-lifts-which-are-better

but, given that a sprinter needs good glute strength as well, I include a number of exercises that target a variety of muscles.

no, I am not interested in magical one exercises that do all at once. I don't think they exist, although the effectiveness of one exercise may differ from individual to individual based on form used and body structure.

Of course curls are more effective.
one exercise that minimizes hamstring tears, but not manly enough so we do dead lifts and it variants

Last edited: