• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Big Mick

"2014 - Kunce of the year"
So at a quick glance we have

- Power Lifting Australia,

- Australian Drug Free Power Lifting Federation

- CAPO Power Lifting

- Oceana Power Lifting

- GPC Australia

There is probably more:confused:

So if one was interested in competing where the fuck would you go and which association would you join?? Why is there so many??

The fuck is Oceana Powerlifting??
Aus Drug free PL is a tiny almost pointless fed.

PA and GPC are the top dogs in australia.
GPC allows knee wraps.
PA has drug testing.
Capo....seems dead?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

And we have fuck all here compared to the states haha.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

If you are drug free, you may as well go PA, otherwise you are starting three steps behind the start line.

Oceania Powerlifting is not a federation, but rather an IPF region for competition, just like Commomwealth Powerlifting is a region where IPF affiliated national powerlifting federations can meet up to compete. Both of those are considered international competitions, so world records can be set/broken.

Politics and doping aside, just pick the one that competes closest to you.

If you are drug free, you may as well go PA, otherwise you are starting three steps behind the start line.

Oceania Powerlifting is not a federation, but rather an IPF region for competition, just like Commomwealth Powerlifting is a region where IPF affiliated national powerlifting federations can meet up to compete. Both of those are considered international competitions, so world records can be set/broken.

Politics and doping aside, just pick the one that competes closest to you.

Definitely drug free as i get tested at work on occasion, and I never had an interest in drugs.

I am hoping to be competing in about 12 months time, just not sure where to start.

Living in Mid north Coast NSW at the moment, and I will have to explore and see if there is any local power lifting gyms, I will still be doing most of my training at home.

Definitely drug free as i get tested at work on occasion, and I never had an interest in drugs.

I am hoping to be competing in about 12 months time, just not sure where to start.

Living in Mid north Coast NSW at the moment, and I will have to explore and see if there is any local power lifting gyms, I will still be doing most of my training at home.

I doubt your work would be testing for steroids.

http://au.iherb.com/?rcode=ZSG863

When Big Mick's work place expands drug testing to steroids and cooking oil............

biceps9.jpg

I doubt your work would be testing for steroids.

Probably not, I have no idea what they test for and how it works. I am guessing it's for recreational drugs, but I have never used any drugs and have no interest in any drugs so never been a concern to me, so I never really looked into it.

I do know they ask if you are on medication, and require prescriptions as I have seen people go positive on a drug test after taking prescription pain killers or similar.

I know this might sound dumb, but how would I get started??

I was getting close to entering my first bench press comp in Sydney before I left but never got there, I did win a few gym comps which used to be run every 6 weeks at the gym I trained in at some stage, but I don't really count that as anything was only a bit of fun..

I gess I know I have to check the local Gyms but had no luck, I have gone around this week and only found Anytime Fitness, iGym 24/7 (really iGym?? WTF), and Snap Fitness, none of which are what I am looking for.

Probably not, I have no idea what they test for and how it works. I am guessing it's for recreational drugs, but I have never used any drugs and have no interest in any drugs so never been a concern to me, so I never really looked into it.

I do know they ask if you are on medication, and require prescriptions as I have seen people go positive on a drug test after taking prescription pain killers or similar.
Yes, it will just be recreational stuff. Some prescriptions will false trigger, for example elevated codeine in the system from strong cold and flu medication can show up as opiates. A lot of preworkouts that contained DMAA also used to come up as methamphetamine

They won't be testing for anything steroidal based.

I was getting close to entering my first bench press comp in Sydney before I left but never got there, I did win a few gym comps which used to be run every 6 weeks at the gym I trained in at some stage, but I don't really count that as anything was only a bit of fun..

I gess I know I have to check the local Gyms but had no luck, I have gone around this week and only found Anytime Fitness, iGym 24/7 (really iGym?? WTF), and Snap Fitness, none of which are what I am looking for.
Have a look around at the local powerlifter based gyms like PTC, Warrior etc. Even check out/follow their Facebook pages. I know PTC Perth used to run a few gym based comps but they'll have their finger on the pulse rather than the commercial gyms like you mentioned. Some of those may advertise for the odd comp but it's more a case by case thing depending on the franchisees, trainers etc and how much they get in to it. The bulk of them wouldn't be interested in that kind of thing.

Ok. First, decide who you want to lift with. Then join to get a membership. Have a look in their web site and pick a comp that is at least 3 months away. If it's open to sign up, do that (sometimes you can't sign up until a couple of months out from the comp date).

Now, go train, eat, sleep and recover. You know that part. And you don't need a "powerlifting gym" to do that. You can do that in your shed. All you need is a squat stand and a bench with a barbell and some weight. Frankly, to find a decent powerlifting gym is very difficult. There is about 4 or 5 in Victoria. Probably a couple in Brisbane and Sydney. But as I said, you don't need one unless you want the social side of things or to get coaching. If you want coaching, there are plenty of reputable world champions who do programming. Maybe have a look at Mike Tuchscherer. Or check out JP Cauchi who has just opened a gym in Melbourne (https://www.thestrengthfortress.com/remote-coaching). If he's too busy, he also would certainly know a reputable person who can help, maybe even someone in your area. You need to be a little careful as every douchebag and bikini "pro" thinks they are a trainer and diet "coach".

The week prior to your comp, rest. Just do mobility stuff. Turn up on the day on time for weigh in then let loose the dogs of war.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
To add to what Woody said, if it's your first time it's well worth having a "handler" take you to the comp.

I asked my trainer to do it and it was awesome. He took care of all paperwork, attempt selections, setting up warmups, chalking hands, wrapping wrists, lift off on bench etc. And giving a big back slap and ammonia cap to make my eyes water before the Deadlift.

It could be a buddy who's competed before, a friend, or a trainer/coach that you pay.

Also before signing up, there are some novice comps you can do that don't have a federation requirement you don't need to signup or to wear the singlet outfit :) well worth it to get the feet wet and try it out. I did this and still haven't decided who to signup with yet.

Last edited:
Ok. First, decide who you want to lift with. Then join to get a membership. Have a look in their web site and pick a comp that is at least 3 months away. If it's open to sign up, do that (sometimes you can't sign up until a couple of months out from the comp date).

Now, go train, eat, sleep and recover. You know that part. And you don't need a "powerlifting gym" to do that. You can do that in your shed. All you need is a squat stand and a bench with a barbell and some weight. Frankly, to find a decent powerlifting gym is very difficult. There is about 4 or 5 in Victoria. Probably a couple in Brisbane and Sydney. But as I said, you don't need one unless you want the social side of things or to get coaching. If you want coaching, there are plenty of reputable world champions who do programming. Maybe have a look at Mike Tuchscherer. Or check out JP Cauchi who has just opened a gym in Melbourne (https://www.thestrengthfortress.com/remote-coaching). If he's too busy, he also would certainly know a reputable person who can help, maybe even someone in your area. You need to be a little careful as every douchebag and bikini "pro" thinks they are a trainer and diet "coach".

The week prior to your comp, rest. Just do mobility stuff. Turn up on the day on time for weigh in then let loose the dogs of war.

tenor.gif

really, powerlifting programs are quite basic. just ask Robert wilks.

Yes, it will just be recreational stuff. Some prescriptions will false trigger, for example elevated codeine in the system from strong cold and flu medication can show up as opiates. A lot of preworkouts that contained DMAA also used to come up as methamphetamine

Yep last time I was drug tested was about 5 years ago when I was working in Sydeny, I was actually using a DMMA based pre Workout from BN when DMMA was still around, but it did not set anything off, but the same day a girl tested positive for meth, but she swore she never touched the stuff and knowing her I believe her, but she got cleared in the secondary test.

My current job allows for drug testing as well but have never been tested since then, all up I been drug tested four times in the last 10 years.

They won't be testing for anything steroidal based.

Good to know for when I hit the roids up:D

Have a look around at the local powerlifter based gyms like PTC

I used to go to PTC in Silverwater in Sydney back when I was living in Sydney about 5 years ago, that's where I met Trent who was/is a member here, as well as a few other members, was going to compete in their local comp but them moved away.

Unfortunately no PTC or similar here or I would be there, I checked Taree which is the closest main town about 30 minutes away, I will check Port Macquarie next to see if there is anything there.

Cool, but at this stage won't be competing for a while, strength is returning, but will be at least 6-12 moths off my first comp.

Now, go train, eat, sleep and recover. You know that part. And you don't need a "powerlifting gym" to do that. You can do that in your shed.

I will certainly be training by myself in my shed 95% of the time as that is how I work and function best. I don't do well in commercial Gyms as I can not deal with the stupidity and gym culture of selfies and fancy gym cloths, runners and gay music, I train in a $5 T shirt and shorts and bare foot, with my 80's and country music blasting through my bluetooth speaker system while being with my dogs.

I like the rest part:D

Also before signing up, there are some novice comps you can do that don't have a federation requirement you don't need to signup or to wear the singlet outfit :) well worth it to get the feet wet and try it out. I did this and still haven't decided who to signup with yet.

Sounds exactly like what I want to be doing in about six months time.

I guess what I'm getting at with the "sign up and turn up" is that it's a very common factor for beginners to think they are not strong enough. Anyone, and I mean anyone north of Stephen Hawking, can compete. Anyone can do a comp after a 3 month ramp up. Of course, its also normal to be nervous but once you do your first comp you realise that no one gives a pharrk about how much you lift, but they will cheer you on and help you out, especially if you are a beginner. Probably the single most mentioned common factor with first comps (and all the others after) is the friendship and support in the warm up room. It's like a line of soldiers going into battle, all there for a common cause.

The gym I go to has an area for "serious" lifters. Most of the gym is made up of machines but one area with oly lifting, deadlift platform, competition bench and a couple of mono racks and squat stands. Any newbie walking off the street soon works out to keep da phuk out of the big boys area, especially when some of our Viking shield maidens are pulling heavy. Meanwhile in Fuckwits First, every douchebag living with his mother is doing curls in the squat rack and instagramming their swole. Finding a real gym is like winning the lottery.