• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Shrek

Fucked up Kunce
Walking for exercise: Is it enough by itself? - ABC News
https://apple.news/A0oHOV0V4SSG8XCKaKXP79Q

We all know we need to exercise to stay fit and strong, stave off disease and maintain a healthy weight.
Walking is the most popular physical activity undertaken by Australian adults. It's free, easy, and can be done almost anywhere.
Walking leads to a remarkable reduction in the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, some cancers, arthritis, depression, anxiety and insomnia, and premature death from all causes.
The health benefits of walking stem from the changes that occur in our body systems as a result of exercising.
For some of these health conditions, fitness has been shown to be a particularly important factor for prevention.
The term fitness is quite often used to describe aerobic fitness, but having a high level of fitness actually refers to all components of health-related physical fitness which includes muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, body composition, and of course aerobic (or heart) fitness.
So is walking enough in terms of the exercise we need?
Aerobic fitness
An analysis of studies on walking showed it improves aerobic fitness — which is technically the ability of the heart to get oxygen to our muscles and how effectively our muscles use that oxygen.
But to be effective, walking needs to be of at least moderate intensity, which means an intensity where you're able to notice your breathing but can carry on a conversation without noticeable pauses between words. For many, this is a brisk walk.
Greater improvements in aerobic fitness can be achieved when walking at a vigorous intensity, where you can converse with a friend, but it will be interrupted with noticeable pauses between words to take a breath.
The good news is that you don't need to walk at a vigorous intensity for health or aerobic fitness benefits.
Walking at a moderate intensity will increase your aerobic fitness and, more importantly, your endurance (the ability to carry out activities for longer with less fatigue).
This is because it allows your body to burn fat more efficiently, improves delivery and use of oxygen in the muscles, and improves mitochondria density and efficiency (these are producers of energy in our body), all leading to greater capacity to undertake tasks with less fatigue.
Walking briskly for 30 minutes five days per week can improve aerobic fitness.
Each walking bout doesn't need to be long though; walking for ten minutes three times per day is as beneficial as walking for 30 minutes in one go.
Strength
Walking is not a strength-based exercise, but if you haven't exercised in a while, you'll notice gains in leg strength as a result of regular walking.
Although benefits in strength are modest, research shows walking 30 minutes five days per week at a moderate intensity helps to prevent sarcopenia (age-related loss in muscle size and strength).
You can increase the demand on your lower body muscles, bones and tendons to keep them strong by introducing hills, choosing to take the stairs, walking on undulating terrain, or even carrying a comfortable backpack.
But maximum strength gains will come from introducing some form of body-weight or gym-based resistance training exercise.
Flexibility
Walking does not lead to significant gains in joint flexibility, but walking regularly does have positive effects on your joints.
Weight-bearing exercise, including walking, increases lubrication and delivery of nutrition to your joints.
Research shows that walking regularly reduces pain and disability for adults suffering from knee arthritis; and moderate intensity exercise can protect against the development of joint degeneration.
Body weight
Moderate intensity walking can prevent weight gain and assist in maintaining a healthy weight in as little as 150 minutes per week.
The American College of Sports Medicine recommends 250 minutes or more exercise to lose a modest amount of weight, but the more you do, the more you'll lose.
Unfortunately, it's a myth that calories in equals calories out. Don't expect a 500-calorie walk to offset the negative metabolic effect of a 500-calorie treat.
Remember the human body operates on physiology and is not bound by the rules of physics. Fortunately, regular exercise and being physically fit will reduce your risk of heart disease and early death irrespective of your weight loss success.
There are plenty of reasons to walk, we've been doing it since the dawn of time, well before the first gym opened.
Walking is an organic, natural, gluten free, fat free, toxin free, meditative experience that delivers far more health benefits than most other decisions you'll make today.
Megan Teychenne is a senior lecturer at Deakin University's School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences.
Clint Miller is a lecturer at Deakin University's School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences.
Originally published in The Conversation

http://au.iherb.com/?rcode=ZSG863

It's better than nothing at all.

I usually find walking pretty boring, when the mrs wants to go for a walk I put some vodka in a drink bottle. Makes it more exciting.

It's amazing how people get funding to do a study on the blatantly obvious and then post it up like it is news or a new discovery.

Of course walking has tremendous health benefits over no exercise at all, if your goal is just general well being and you have reasonable healthy eating habits walking is all most people probably need.

Always makes me laugh when people fight for the closest parking spot to the gym front door, and when they get in there they walk on the tread mill for 30 minutes and go home:D

If you want to win a body building comp, power lifting comp or compete in the Olympics you probably need to exert yourself a bit more, but I am not sure that it really would carry any additional health benefits in the long term, most athletes suffer from over use injuries and stress injuries, not something someone wants that is generally taring just for well being.

I have competed in international amateur sports, travelled the US and Asia competing, I was training every day and regularly twice a day and suffer permanent damage from that time to this day.

It's amazing how people get funding to do a study on the blatantly obvious and then post it up like it is news or a new discovery.

Of course walking has tremendous health benefits over no exercise at all, if your goal is just general well being and you have reasonable healthy eating habits walking is all most people probably need.

Always makes me laugh when people fight for the closest parking spot to the gym front door, and when they get in there they walk on the tread mill for 30 minutes and go home:D

If you want to win a body building comp, power lifting comp or compete in the Olympics you probably need to exert yourself a bit more, but I am not sure that it really would carry any additional health benefits in the long term, most athletes suffer from over use injuries and stress injuries, not something someone wants that is generally taring just for well being.

I have competed in international amateur sports, travelled the US and Asia competing, I was training every day and regularly twice a day and suffer permanent damage from that time to this day.

Table Tennis will do that

Now this is for the average joe, whether sedentary or sort of active for which IMO is all of us.

Walking as a sole means to maintain health is not enough.

Weight bearing exercise is, but even poorly performed and overly worked can and will have ill effects.

i think most supposed fitness experts have got it all wrong and been wrong for many years, the older I get and the longer I train thee more obvious this becomes.

Table Tennis will do that

No idea about table tennis, tell me more on what injuries you have suffered from it.

I can't see it being too rough, but then again I have never played it so I may be way off the mark.

A well worked out protocol with a handful of exercises would address the thousands of movements the body is capable of doing throughout the course of the week.

which exercises you might say!?

think about this:

the body has hundreds of muscles that create hundreds of independent/individual movements we could do exercises that cover those movements but we'd never leave the gym, may as well just go home.

So we just stick with a handful of movements because some fuckin guru with attitude and tattoos told you to, man up mother fucker and squat, strong is strong and all that.

In the end we all end up with some sort of debilitating pain, if you are young and feeling it, imagine yourself at 40, 50 and upwards.

Something is wrong and it will never be fixed, some gyms have got more foam rollers and Swiss balls than proper exercise equipment.

Walking is an organic, natural, gluten free, fat free, toxin free, meditative experience

566232034.jpg

The medical advantages of strolling stem from the progressions that happen in our body frameworks because of working out, for a portion of these well being conditions, wellness has been appeared to be an especially critical factor for anticipation, the term wellness is frequently used to depict high impact wellness...

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards

As Stiffkhunt has stated previously, walking is OK IF it gets you puffing a bit. Problem is you quickly adapt. Maybe hiking goat country. Walking is for health not fitness, unless you weigh 130+kg

It’s fine just to burn some extra calories.

it´s OK if you do if regularly and eat slightly less. a lot of people drink a lot of their calories.
I know people who go walking but never seem to lose weight. They go walking then eat more calories than they just lost.

Id smash everyone here on distance covered over the course of a week. At least 100 kms. Think im estatting? Send a plant to dannevirke,ill show thee. Tell the boss you know gerry.

I have been hiking lately, more intense than walking.

State Forrests, fairly steep ascents and decent, and rough around under foot.

Great way to get the heart pumping without causing yourself injury.