• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

onslaught

I need some help with a template now that I have pretty much exhausted regular progression where I add weight to the bar every session.

I won't post numbers because they're soft but my training generally looks like this.

Mon: Squat, OHP, lat pulldowns.
Tue: Bench, bent rows, bicep curls, tri pushdown
wed: DL
Thu: Mon.
Fri: Tue.

Sat/sun: nothing.

Pretty simple stuff, 3 sets of 5 and add weight if I make all the reps. I do take reasonable rests (sometimes 4 minutes) on main lifts but only 60 seconds on accessory stuff.

This seems to work well for me given time constraints, lack of recovery and general half arsed approaches to diet except I'm at the point now where it's becoming increasingly difficult to actually recover properly and adding weight to the bar is becoming difficult.

This past week I only trained Tues and thurs and smashed the lifts which points to my lack of recovery from the (albeit low) volume and sleep/nutrition being responsible rather than just being weak.

I'm think of doing something like HLM (with lifts reorganised to suit) which I feel might help get some more volume in without killing myself every day yet still let me lift heavy and progress, dropping the accessory lifts (except arms of course because no one wants to train arms less than they do already and the volume there now doesn't seem to worry me) and giving it a couple of months to see what happens.

Besides the glaring obvious re: diet and rest that can definitely be improved on (and I am working on that) is it worth persevering with my current training or is it time for something else?

Equipment consists of a barbell and some sort of cable operated device with a seat and indeterminable weights attached to it.

tl:dr version: I'm old and weak, can't fix one but I need help with the other.

I use Stronglifts madcow. Pretty much progress 2.5kg to 5kg each week.

That's massive progress, how do you keep up??

So even looking at the lower spectrum, assuming only 2.5kg, if you started benching 70kg, you should be hitting 200kg bench in 12 month, if you use 5kg as a guide you bench should be surpassing 300kg, I don't believe those numbers or even a ¼ of those numbers.

Mon: Squat, OHP, lat pulldowns.
Tue: Bench, bent rows, bicep curls, tri pushdown
wed: DL
Thu: Mon.
Fri: Tue.

Sat/sun: nothing.

Personally I do not like that program at all, but that's just me, not sure where you got it from but it's not really a split.

You seem to be training back every single day (5 days), and everything else twice a week.

After doing a fair bit of research I just started a new 4 day split.

In the brackets I have listed the main lift for that training day, that lift will be done every time on that day, then the rest will be assistance exercises.

The assistance exercises will vary between workouts, so on Day 1 we WILL have to Bench Press which MAY then be followed my Incline Bench, next time it MAy be DB Flyers and Pec Deck etc etc, so no two workouts will be exactly the same, most work will be done in the main lift, the rest is just extra:

DAY ! - Chest/Triceps (Bench Press)

DAY 2 - Legs/Abs (Squat)

DAY 3 - Back/Biceps (Dead Lift)

DAY 4 - Shoulders /Abs (Press)

You can either do this training Mon,Wed Thursday Friday, or any other combination I just keep it rolling for now ie after day 4 go back and start day 1 if required I many have a rest dat before going to day 1.

Just a suggestion that may come in handy.

There are millions of programs some make sense some don't your one to me makes no sense, but it may make sense to others.

The best program is one you can stick to.

Fair point.

What would you take out to reduce back volume?

You don't have to take out anything, just don't train back every day. If you are training chest, legs, arms etc twice a week train back twice a week as well.

What is you reasoning behind training back 5 times a week and everything else twice a week??

May be look at some well proven routines for a change, what about 5/3/1, or one of it's variants, or stroglifts etc etc

You can do Dead Lifts followed by your rows and lat pulldowns all in the one day, ie Back day.

I am no expert in programming by a long shot, I generally base my training on existing templates, even the one I posted above is very loosely based on 5/3/1 without the 5/3/1 lifting method if that makes sense, but it's similar to a 5/3/1/ split. ie one big compound lift every session and then some assistance exercises to round out your routine.

Last edited:
That's massive progress, how do you keep up??

So even looking at the lower spectrum, assuming only 2.5kg, if you started benching 70kg, you should be hitting 200kg bench in 12 month, if you use 5kg as a guide you bench should be surpassing 300kg, I don't believe those numbers or even a ¼ of those numbers.

Guess you do it till you can't anymore then move onto something else. I used starting strength first, then when I couldn't keep adding weight every session I went onto this adding 2.5 - 5kg each week. I'm starting to stall now so maybe time to move onto something else.

Guess you do it till you can't anymore then move onto something else. I used starting strength first, then when I couldn't keep adding weight every session I went onto this adding 2.5 - 5kg each week. I'm starting to stall now so maybe time to move onto something else.

I never really looked into these routines, what is their solution to once you start stalling i progress??

I never really looked into these routines, what is their solution to once you start stalling i progress??

From memory you try same weight the week after and if you fail drop back 10% and go again.
Not that I followed this advice. I just took a deload week and will try same weight I stalled at last week.
If I keep stalling I'll go onto 5/3/1 or something. Mind you I'm trying to drop fat so I guess I can only going so far with it.

1. Once you're past the newbie stage, gains come slower. The natural assumption is that you're doing something wrong.
  2. Stop lying to yourself. No magic program is going to solve your work ethic problem.
  3. Even if you find the "perfect" program, it won't work unless you do. Even not-so-good training programs work if you hit them hard.
  4. There's a difference between motivation and discipline.Motivation is the desire to do a task, while discipline is the ability to get yourself to do a task when you don't feel like doing it.
  5. Build your discipline muscle.Go to the gym even if you don't feel like it. A "bad" workout is better than a skipped workout, and nutting up will feel good.

1. Once you're past the newbie stage, gains come slower. The natural assumption is that you're doing something wrong.
  2. Stop lying to yourself. No magic program is going to solve your work ethic problem.
  3. Even if you find the "perfect" program, it won't work unless you do. Even not-so-good training programs work if you hit them hard.
  4. There's a difference between motivation and discipline.Motivation is the desire to do a task, while discipline is the ability to get yourself to do a task when you don't feel like doing it.
  5. Build your discipline muscle.Go to the gym even if you don't feel like it. A "bad" workout is better than a skipped workout, and nutting up will feel good.

Good post ol' man.
[emoji108]

From memory you try same weight the week after and if you fail drop back 10% and go again.
Not that I followed this advice. I just took a deload week and will try same weight I stalled at last week.
If I keep stalling I'll go onto 5/3/1 or something. Mind you I'm trying to drop fat so I guess I can only going so far with it.

Ok, that makes sense...

Go to the gym even if you don't feel like it. A "bad" workout is better than a skipped workout, and nutting up will feel good.

That's interesting Goose and I understand where your coming from. But I remember reading in one of the Joe Weider mags Mike Christian saying he would prefer to skip the day's workout if he thought it was going to be a bad one.

Maybe go for a walk. Hard to have a "bad" walk. At least you are still moving your lazy ass.

That's interesting Goose and I understand where your coming from. But I remember reading in one of the Joe Weider mags Mike Christian saying he would prefer to skip the day's workout if he thought it was going to be a bad one.

Opinions are like arseholes everyone has one. I tend to believe a bad workout is better than no workout at all.

Maybe go for a walk. Hard to have a "bad" walk. At least you are still moving your lazy ass.

Neighbours Cattle dog was roaming around loose this arvo and tried to maul me when I was out walking, funnily enough it was the same neighbour who called the Council Ranger on me claiming I had dangerous dogs when I first moved in here (he is not actually a neighbour, but a nut job that lives down the road) Ranger came to my house patted my dogs had a laugh and left, might be time for me to ring the Ranger about the dangerous dog down the road.:p:D

Yes, but what are you actually trying to say actually

i agree; I feel detrimental to train when not ready or right. albert beckles said same.

again, many will have vastly different approaches. some could not bear to have a day off. just the way they are.

having said that, such days should be rare for someone who knows what they are doing, and knows how to vary intensity or train less frequent with a higher intensity.