• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
i agree; I feel detrimental to train when not ready or right. albert beckles said same.

again, many will have vastly different approaches. some could not bear to have a day off. just the way they are.

having said that, such days should be rare for someone who knows what they are doing, and knows how to vary intensity or train less frequent with a higher intensity.

Yeah I'm sort of talking about discipline here, if you're crook, with a head cold, some respiratory ailment, headache, vomiting and such then going to do a hard workout is a bad plan, hell- even taking a break on a holiday is a terrific idea.

i'm talking about a person who is healthy and couldn't be bothered or even a trainee carrying an injury, that trainee could easily modify their workout as opposed to feeling sorry for themselves and missing out.

Yes, but what are you actually trying to say actually

Love what you're saying from a Discipline and Conditioning point of view Goo, but I know that if I had of trained "smarter instead harder" I would be a lot stronger and bigger, which I think is the point [MENTION=6618]spartacus[/MENTION] is getting at. I remember Tuesday mornings were always a bitch for me. If I had of adjusted things a bit instead of "bulldogging" through I may be a lot bigger and stronger today, rather than a bit injury wracked.

But yeah, for the average "Tom, Dick and Mary" you gotta stay on program otherwise you're forever skipping workouts.

Love what you're saying from a Discipline and Conditioning point of view Goo, but I know that if I had of trained "smarter instead harder" I would be a lot stronger and bigger, which I think is the point @spartacus is getting at. I remember Tuesday mornings were always a bitch for me. If I had of adjusted things a bit instead of "bulldogging" through I may be a lot bigger and stronger today, rather than a bit injury wracked.

But yeah, for the average "Tom, Dick and Mary" you gotta stay on program otherwise you're forever skipping workouts.

yes, at least from my experience, it is a mistake to go flat out even if just one flat out session each week, as I am doing now.

it has never worked for me. after a hard session, I need to drop intensity right down for a couple of weeks.

lately, doing one hard leg session per week, I have gone backwards quickly as measured by my power output.

so, I am going back to what seems like an easy session, 3 sets of 8 reps on about 60% with 1 minute rest for most exercises. this is the training intensity that works for me, and helps avoid injuries and staleness and so on.

for others, that percentage may be too light, but with short rests and good form you would be surprised how hard the final set is.

again, many ways to train.

i have trained this way since my best bench press was 80kg for 1 rep after reading a lot in early 1980s.

For example, Michael Yessis, an expert of Soviet Union strength training which had long dominated the heavier divisions of Olympic weightlifting, argued in 1992 that “weights should be light to medium for a steady increase in growth of muscle fibres and strength. (Using weights that are) Too heavy, decreases volume and in preparation period leads to incomplete muscle development. Too much weight changes the way the exercise is executed” (Michael Yessis, Fitness and Sports Review USA, Vol. 27, No. 4, Aug 1992).

Following on from the excellent advice I received in this thread, things have changed.

tues: Squat/bench
wed: OHP/bicep curls/tri pushdown
thurs: nothing
Frid:tues
Sat:wed

Will be adding deads/lat pull/rows to thursdays.

Lowered weight to 75% of 5rm and now doing 8's, adding bar weight weekly.
Reduced rest to 2mins.

Shorter rests have hurt, more reps has hurt, lowering weight has hurt most but knock over tues workout in 21 minutes, wed in 15 (superset tri/bi with 2 min at end), will probably find something else to add to make 30 min per session, the shed is hot in summer.

Plan is to get 8rm to equal 5rm then go back to 5rm and push it further.

Off the piss 3 extra days per week, increase cals to compensate. Plan is to be 4kg heavier in 10 weeks.

Last edited: