• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
a number of studies also show that a higher proportion of protein is needed when dieting; gaining weight, however, higher calorie intake through both carbs and fat are protein sparing.

a number of studies also show that a higher proportion of protein occurs when dieting; gaining weight, however, higher calorie intake through both carbs and fat are protein sparing.

Of course a higher intake of anything that has nutritional vale will be protein sparing, no one needs a study to know that.

you could get calories from fat, but ho much nuts and olive oil can one consume. i think there is a reason why tour of france riders eat lots of carbs. some studies also show that higher carbs is better for actual competition wen power is required, although not much difference for moderate training.

I now eat about a third of calories from fat.

You must consume a certain amount of protein and fats to live, the rest can be whatever you want it to be.

yes, I agree with that.

I think the less you need, too much carbs is more problematic if that makes sense. why have rubbish high sugar products if your daily life requires limited energy intake.

Some people need carbs or think they need carbs, there is no carb need for training, people are addicted to carbs just like they are addicted to coffee and pre workout drinks and cigarettes etc, that addiction is caused by insulin, eat carbs get a spike once spike goes away people crave more carbs to get another spike, just like junkies need another hit of drugs.

Carbs = drugs. Lol.

This place is a fucking waste of bandwidth.

The only other argument for powders is simply the convenience and speed at which you can prepare a meal that will give you a decent amount of protein and orther macronutrients depending on what's in your supps. The question would be whether you even need it if indeed 0.8perkg was indeed enough. How do you think these numbers stack up when compared to the previous discussions had on here around optimal protein intake for muscle protein synthesis being 30-40g and timing being 3-4 hours between protein. At 80kg and 0.8 that would suggest 2 meals a day is enough for me.
I don't know the answer but I know 2 things, 1. I eat a fair bit more than that and still don't put on a lot of weight and 2. I'll take a juicy steak over a shake any day.

The only other argument for powders is simply the convenience and speed at which you can prepare a meal that will give you a decent amount of protein and orther macronutrients depending on what's in your supps. The question would be whether you even need it if indeed 0.8perkg was indeed enough.

0.8g /kg is the RDA, some people may require a little more, but I suggest that anyone eating a diet of normal food such as meat/eggs/vegetables/salad/nuts etc would be well exceeding this number anyway, and I highly doubt that a protein shake is needed to supplement any short comings.

How do you think these numbers stack up when compared to the previous discussions had on here around optimal protein intake for muscle protein synthesis being 30-40g and timing being 3-4 hours between protein. At 80kg and 0.8 that would suggest 2 meals a day is enough for me.

I seriously believe that it's just overthinking stuff and smart marketing by supplement manufacturers, many of these so called studies are paid for, organised and supported by the manufacturers of said supplements. Your body is better adapted than that and does not need every nutrient made available through food every minute of the day, if that was the case we as a species would have become extinct millions of years ago.

At the end of the day I have been involved in Lifting weighs for 35 years now, and I have tried them all, I have had amino's, protein shakes, pre workout, post workout, creatine, various lotions and potions and really none of them have made an ounce of difference, the best results were being had with consistant training, sleeping and eating a balanced diet of normal foods.

Then there is the another big point that I have not even mentioned yet, the health issues excess protein consumption is linked to and the strain additional supplements put on your body and internal organs.

Then there is the other issue of no regulation in the supplement industry and who is to say you are getting what you are supposed to get in your shake. Most of us remember the 'NoBull Protein' saga , where they were (knowingly or unknowingly) selling cheap high carb milk powder as WPI, and everyone was wondering why the stuff tasted so great and how they were able to sell it so much cheaper than everyone else....

I don't know the answer but I know 2 things, 1. I eat a fair bit more than that and still don't put on a lot of weight and 2. I'll take a juicy steak over a shake any day.

Agreed 110% on that one...

Last edited:
I love steak too but it's not always convenient or appropriate.
Protein powders are easy and convenient.

I don't buy the convenience thing. Is a laugh that people think if they don't get a protein shake that minute or even in the next hour they will lose their gains.

Lets face it, you are not going to starve. Why not wait until you get home or when you can access to a decent meal. In any case what's convent about a protein shake that you can't get with other foods. You still need water. They are not filling. You don't need protein that instant. If you know you are going to need a meal how about plan ahead, you're an adult now.

I still don't see any arguments here for protein powers apart from them being cheaper than most meat as a protein source.

Well if I skip lunch due to work and then cab't eat until I get home at 6.00 and still have 140gms of protein to eat, it's a fair bit to ingest at one time.
What's that about 600gms of steak. Then you have to adjust fat macros because of the fat content in the steak, About 19gms per 100gm. So then you end up getting way too much fat.
A 60gm protein shake will give you about 50gms of protein without the fat.

First. Why are you skipping lunch? If you have taken the time to organize a protein shake for a skipped lunch it's just as easy to organize food.

If did actually skip lunch because you have no choice what's the worst that's going to be happen. You'll be a little bit hungry. Big deal, you're not gong to die.

140g of protein in one meal. Not a big deal also most foods have some protein not just steak. Lol. Have a meal with a range of foods.

60g protein shake and 50g protein. So what.

Again no actual legitimate reasons for protein shakes given there. There are some but it's not the reason why most people have them.

I don't buy the convenience thing. Is a laugh that people think if they don't get a protein shake that minute or even in the next hour they will lose their gains.

Lets face it, you are not going to starve. Why not wait until you get home or when you can access to a decent meal. In any case what's convent about a protein shake that you can't get with other foods. You still need water. They are not filling. You don't need protein that instant. If you know you are going to need a meal how about plan ahead, you're an adult now.

I still don't see any arguments here for protein powers apart from them being cheaper than most meat as a protein source.

I agree.

This is a very good topic.
for me it comes under the banner of Milo and all of those supplementals to add to milk.

I love milo, but it's too sweet for me
the only one I really enjoy is Dave Drapers it's beautiful, the vanilla and chocolate, all my life I've loved milkshakes.
it comes down to this, if you want to watch your waistline you have got to limit or at least watch the sugar and fat content.

IMO protien powder is just an additive to make milk taste even better.

Protien powder is no miracle muscle building food.
but it has been a great money maker over the years for many people, just recently some commando TV game show has created a lot of interest from supplement companies, if you just stand back and look at this "industry" of fitness you can see just what a huge rort, or con it is, the brainwashing is hugely successful

IMO protien powder is just an additive to make milk taste even better.

The only protein shake I had that I ever enjoyed the taste of was NB Protein Power, just a shame there was no actual protein in it.

Protien powder is no miracle muscle building food.

Exactly right, it's not like it does anything different to having a piece of chicken or can of tuna.

if you just stand back and look at this "industry" of fitness you can see just what a huge rort, or con it is, the brainwashing is hugely successful

It's massive, the amount of people I see having numerous shakes a day where I work , and none of them look like they lift. Where I worked before there was a guy having pre workouts every morning he started work as he claimed it hyped him up for work..WTF??

Unbelievable you get off the internet for 12 weeks and everyone on here gets all mature and grown up. Great post and conversation on here between like minded people. Quality