• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
All you can report back on is the taste after all it's just amino's. We know what amino's are for.

All you can report back on is the taste after all it's just amino's. We know what amino's are for.

I thought that's what the samples were for to see what they taste like. It's not like anyone that eats food needs extra amino's, so IMO it's a pointless product anyway.

I had the lemonade, reckon it tastes pretty good. Up there with Xtend and whatnot if you wanted to use it intra workout. Not as heavy as a whey based protein for post workout. Haven't looked at the cals per serve though so may serve better on a cut than whey protein as well

Why request a sample?

Because it popped up in my news feed and it was free.

If it tastes great, will you buy it?

No, unless I get diagnosed with a shortage or deficiency of Amino Acids which is unlikely I can not see the point.

Any person that eats normal food 2-3 times a day will have an abundance of amino acids going around the body, if we needed this crap we would have died out as a species millions of years ago. Our Bodies are quite capable and well adapted to perform at peak performance with the normal foods we eat, no need to micro manage.

When are you to old to be still buying protein powder or protein bars.

I checked the BN web site, there appears to be no age limit stipulated. I will wait for the sample to arrive and see if anything is written on the packet.

Because it popped up in my news feed and it was free.

No, unless I get diagnosed with a shortage or deficiency of Amino Acids which is unlikely I can not see the point.

Any person that eats normal food 2-3 times a day will have an abundance of amino acids going around the body, if we needed this crap we would have died out as a species millions of years ago. Our Bodies are quite capable and well adapted to perform at peak performance with the normal foods we eat, no need to micro manage.
What about for the purpose of protein supplementation? (As that is what it is intended to be used for).

What about for the purpose of protein supplementation? (As that is what it is intended to be used for).

But just about every person living in the western world already as an excess of protein from their diet (unless may be you are vegan or something similar), You only need to supplement if you have a shortage of something.

If your body requires 100 grams of protein a day and breakfast lunch and dinner provides you with over 100 grams of protein having more will do nothing apart from waste your cash and put on extra weight.

It's very unlikely that any person eating a somewhat normal diet would ever be short on protein

I checked the BN web site, there appears to be no age limit stipulated. I will wait for the sample to arrive and see if anything is written on the packet.

Its a bit like going into the kids playground at Macca's or buying a lollipop, at some point you are to old for it. There is a time when you are just too old to be bothering with protein powders.

i suppose when that time comes we graduate to buying black market liver tabs from the hungry jacks car park.

But just about every person living in the western world already as an excess of protein from their diet (unless may be you are vegan or something similar), You only need to supplement if you have a shortage of something.

If your body requires 100 grams of protein a day and breakfast lunch and dinner provides you with over 100 grams of protein having more will do nothing apart from waste your cash and put on extra weight.

It's very unlikely that any person eating a somewhat normal diet would ever be short on protein
The age old rule of 1g per lb of body mass to gain muscle puts the average 85kg guy up around 185-190g...not saying it's impossible or even really difficult but it can be convenient when a couple of serves of a supplement per day contribute 50g or more of that amount.

Plus things can start getting complicated when you're trying to lose fat but still keep the protein consumption high. Not everyone wants to eat nothing but egg whites and chicken breast all day every day. With no carbs or fats, it will be pretty low on overall calories.

I'm not saying everyone needs to supplement protein in their diet but it is one of the few supplements that is generally worthwhile. Can also be cheaper than buying kilos of meat per week but that's a whole nother discussion that I'm sure has been had on here before

A couple of things besides all the mumbo-jumbo, is older lifters should be more careful with their protien intake.
secondly, quality protien powders aren't supplements as such, but a good food source.

Nothing wrong with adding a protein powder to meet protein intake. Amino's marketed as Whey though is misleading.

The age old rule of 1g per lb of body mass to gain muscle puts the average 85kg guy up around 185-190g...not saying it's impossible or even really difficult but it can be convenient when a couple of serves of a supplement per day contribute 50g or more of that amount.

Plus things can start getting complicated when you're trying to lose fat but still keep the protein consumption high. Not everyone wants to eat nothing but egg whites and chicken breast all day every day. With no carbs or fats, it will be pretty low on overall calories.

I'm not saying everyone needs to supplement protein in their diet but it is one of the few supplements that is generally worthwhile. Can also be cheaper than buying kilos of meat per week but that's a whole nother discussion that I'm sure has been had on here before

The age old rule was jut plucked out of thin air. So far no research even with experienced weight trained people on a calorie deficit has shown any benefit over something like 1.4g per kg body weight. So the 85kg guy likely doesn't need more than around 120 and probably doesn't need even that.

I'll bet the sup companies have pushed hard to create this 1g/lb rule as well as the 6 meals of protein spaced out per day.

Last edited:
The age old rule was jut plucked out of thin air. So far no research even with experienced weight trained people on a calorie deficit has shown any benefit over something like 1.4g per kg body weight. So the 85kg guy likely doesn't need more than around 120 and probably doesn't need even that.

I'll bet the sup companies have pushed hard to create this 1g/lb rule as well as the 6 meals of protein spaced out per day.

There's lots of studies.
https://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Not sure I agree...loads of studies in the link below where 2g/kg or 1g/lb is the general consensus. Talking about gaining muscle here, which is hard to do in a deficit. When in a deficit, you're really looking to just preserve as much muscle mass as you can rather than build more

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4033492/

I do agree about supp companies selectively pushing information to benefit sales, that's just clever marketing really

"Lots of studies" showing benfits of higher protein intakes? Did you read the article you linked? It agrees with exactly what I said.

Over 20 other studies have consistently failed to find any benefits of more than 1.6g/kg/d of protein.

[h=1]Take Home Messages[/h]There is normally no advantage to consuming more than 0.82g/lb (1.8g/kg) of protein per day to preserve or build muscle for natural trainees. This already includes a mark-up, since most research finds no more benefits after 0.64 g/lb.