• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
We're not talking professional sprint cyclists here, my question was for the recreational cyclists here

You bring up a good point, we are talking about specificity.

the idea that we "train" the skill to get better at our chosen sport.
what we do in the gym enables one to continue to train and play the activities we "train and play" for, for longer with less injuries.

i reckon 90% of the industry just don't get this.

Last edited:
Interesting.

I think so.
I mean - unless you're making a living out of the sport you do, it's at best, just a hobby and should be treated as such, (enjoyed) your therapeutic time.

reminds me of the time when all the powerlifters here got ćunty.

Enjoyed???
But it's not fun. Busting out sets of squats is not my idea of fun.
Sitting on the coach watching footy is fun or a leisurely walk on the beach is fun. Curling 40kg with a serious burn in biceps is not fun.

Enjoyed???
Sitting on the coach watching footy is fun or a leisurely walk on the beach is fun. Curling 40kg with a serious burn in biceps is not fun.

Its a different type of fun. I enjoy grinding out heavy deadlifts, doesn't exactly feel nice but I enjoy it.

I enjoy sitting on the couch watching footy and eating pizza. Fun as well but different.

Enjoyed???

Don't you enjoy the feeling?

Just had this come into my inbox earlier in the week. Seems appropriate to go here.

Many grains of salt required.

That said, recently I was on course with one of the Strength and Conditioning Coaches from Cycling Australia, and they utilized a varied strength program with some similar characteristics for the national team.

6bad7b48de160ba8123ed3238f4319f8.jpg

common sense really.

what separates an elite endurance athlete from a lower grade counterpart is not usually fitness, but power and speed output. both levels of athlete are extremely fit.

I once divided a B grade athlete's best 400m into his 5000m time; his ratio was similar to the world record holder.

what separated the two athletes was speed, and that is best trained by power training. that is why elite endurance trainers do some sort of strength work, although it may not necessarily be in the gym. it ma be short fast sprints, bounding or weights.

the power an endurance cyclist like wiggins would generate would be staggering. he s also a world champion of 4000m individual pursuit.

I remember Tour de France cyclists used to do Sprint cycling, many Moons ago.

Richie porte was likely to become 2nd aussie to podium, but out now with broken collarbone and pelvis.