• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

spartacus

bazza raises the question of how to know when to back off or keep pushing with your training.

I have always taken 10-14 days to recover fully from a flat our session where I run or lift t failure. hence, I try hard to balance volume and intensity.

no one can really answer this; I think it comes down to feel or observation, either by a coach or the athlete.

this article suggests that the occasional rest, however, even up to 2 weeks, is not detrimental to your training.

http://ergo-log.com/two-weeks-without-strength-training-not-a-problem.html

Ill read the article when i have more time, but this is something im now looking to do probably once a week. And more like a 3-4 week rest period. Active rest most likely, like walking/swimming and just generally being more active in place of my training.

The huge bounce back i had after being off with Pnueamonia for a full month was more than i expected. Took about 2 weeks to feel normal again, then about 10 weeks and i was back to PR land....

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Good, good topic.
This is one area of my life I have always struggled with, I think it stems from "the fear of missing out syndrome"

My strategy has always been "feel" but it doesn't always work.
And I often just wear myself down.

So some strategy would be good to read.

even the Bulgarian weightlifting and Arthur jones bb approach has light weeks; difficult to keep training at 100% and keep making gains. maybe you can for a short period.

It OK I look at this long term, I veiw working out like the stock market ups and downs and long term, if im progressing somewhere im doing OK week to week is a poor measure.

You work your biceps yo a point where the pain is awful, this is what I like to do for every muscle in my body in one workout, its just something I like doing, I've done it this way for the last 20 years.

Occasionally I'll chuck in a maintainence workout, its also why I like holidays

In regards to the article, 4 weeks on, 2 weeks off, are they repeating that cycle or is it a one off test to see if there was change after 2 weeks off? I think it's more of a maintenance thing, you won't lose strength, weight or muscle mass but you also won't gain it optimally by following that routine. Just my opinion though.

I like to take a week off the weights about once every 8 weeks. I'll still do bits and pieces of active rest but no weights. Catch up on sleep in that week too.

Good topic for discussion though. A lot comes back to the individual

If you view your body first and foremost as a giant nervous system instead of a giant musculature system, then a 4 weeks on (step periodisation), followed by a week of deload, would be the way to go.

The above has always worked without failure, minus the guess work. Unfortunately we have experts and sport scientists these days who would like to reinvent the wheel, by providing their own approach backed by so many studies.

My philosophy has always been that, if it ain't broke, then leave it the hell alone Jack!

5/3/1 basic program. Deload every 4th week, whether you feel like you should or not. Works well for a long term view, as opposed to a 12 week peaking program.

5/3/1 basic program. Deload every 4th week, whether you feel like you should or not. Works well for a long term view, as opposed to a 12 week peaking program.

yes, i would agree with that. however, both place an empashis on varied intensity.