• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Thanks mate, appreciate the kind words.

CCuSIt3WAAEGS_G.jpg

Meaningful testing of strength requires total isolation of the joint being tested, requires careful counterweighting in order to remove the effects of gravity, requires a static (isometric) testing procedure to remove the effects of friction, requires the measurement of torque produced by stored energy so that it can be factored into the test results, and requires an accurate measurement of the relative positions of the body parts involved in the test, such positional measurements being required because changes in position produce changes in strength; until all of these requirements are provided, any attempt to measure strength is an exercise in futility at best.

Anyone who who beleives weightlifting is a measure of strength has their head firmly planted up their arses.

weightlifting is about moving an object over the shortest distance as fast as possible

Muscle growth.

3 specific types of muscle here.

Recent studies confirm firm that higher (15~20) reps with lesser weight as opposed to 3 reps with 80% rm are optimal

with 8~9 being the best.

Swimming provides both aerobic and anaerobic pathways but the problem with swimming is (two things) no progression and most importantly Negative work.

now I know a few on here will be upset, but why is powerlifting not on this list of top 100 sports.

Just been watching the junior worlds in ice hockey. There are two teams of 5 going at it hammer and tongs. And the stadium is packed. So what makes ice hockey so popular? What makes football popular? What makes the 1500 m at the olympic games pack in a full stadium (100,00? 200,000? more?) while down the road, the air rifle has 100 audience members.

It's not money, because money just follows the popularity. I mean, the only reason the last big boxing match earned the pugilists so much was because of cash coming in from pay per view.

Digging down into the underbelly of sport, I think it's related to how easy the sport is empathised by the audience. If the audience can imagine themselves in a particular sport on the world stage, that makes the sport popular.

Why is Kim Karcashian so popular? Because females want to be popular, rich and famous. To be the centre of attention. You don't need any skill (beyond a sex tape, but thats another story) to be famous, so it's not like you need to have a science degree and be able to win the Olympics. You want to get into a females pants? All you need to do is make them feel desired.

Gemma in "Sons of Anarchy": Only men need to be loved, sweetheart. Women need to be wanted.

So, I'm pretty sure that answers the question. Swimming is popular because everyone does it, and can do it, and sees themselves as the athlete.

Powerlifting is far less popular as no one wants a near death experience for no fame, no gain and no money. Plus so very few people on this planet push themselves hard enough to be moderately good at it, less alone world class. It's also, despite thrashing the dead donkey of team awards, a solo sport, like surfing or pole vaulting. So there is very little empathy or fantasizing or desire to be in the athlete's shoes.

Football, tick. Everyone goes down the park to kick a ball, plus our media is saturated with it. Soccer, tick. Same same. Swimming, tick. Anyone can do it, and they do, plus it's part of most school programs.

So why is powerlifting not more popular? It's hard. It's damn hard. It beats the living shit out of you. It's not "media popular". It's not something that everyone does (humans are very susceptible to herd instinct. Fads like fashion, tattoos, social success markers and wanting to be "accepted" or popular is part of all that). It's kinda "strange" and uncommon. It hasn't broken through the media barrier to be widely known. No one has made a movie where a powerlifter is the average joe champion. Its often some skinny crossfit type flaggot like spiderman. Or Ironman. Even the Thors of the media are skinny phuks, compared to how they are presented in their comic form. Only freaks or bad guys are shown to be massively strong.

By the way, in north america, it's called hockey and field hockey. While in Australian/NZ it's hockey and ice hockey. No one calls it ice hockey where its popular, cos its mains stream, while playing on grass is for the losers who can't skate.

don't agree; analogies should stick to which sports are popular, not bimbo lifestyle shows.

there are very few reasons why a sport that tests pure strength, albeit in just three movements where the lifters do what they can to cut the range of motion, would attract many people. .

I like all tests of strength, but i also like most sports. for the western mainstream, however, strength sports only have passing interest.

whether that will ever change remains to be seen, but I doubt it.

imo, most people appreciate strength and muscle, but they are more interested in how you apply such physical prowess to all-round sports.

don't agree; analogies should stick to which sports are popular, not bimbo lifestyle shows.

there are very few reasons why a sport that tests pure strength, albeit in just three movements where the lifters do what they can to cut the range of motion, would attract many people. .

I like all tests of strength, but i also like most sports. for the western mainstream, however, strength sports only have passing interest.

whether that will ever change remains to be seen, but I doubt it.

itll make the olympics.classic style.im hoping that will attract the equipped lifters to switch to raw,i wanna see the likes of konovalov going at it with jezza and big ray.there was a ukranian in the 105s this yr who squatted 445 with gear on,would be great to see him go at it with just sleeves and a belt.

imo, most people appreciate strength and muscle, but they are more interested in how you apply such physical prowess to all-round sports.

give it time.rugby has been around for 130 years.powerlifting 40-50 yrs.i believe once it makes the olympics the popularity will increase.

weightlifting, a vastly more exciting sport than powerlifting, has been around for 120 years, but few are interested in that sport either.

Powerlifting will never be popular because all our food is wrapped in plastic, people like David Beckham, the beeb and that soccer player I can't remember are held up as physical ideals while a beard and fixie while smoking an ironic pipe seems to be what most youth aspire to these days.

Powerlifting will never be popular because all our food is wrapped in plastic, people like David Beckham, the beeb and that soccer player I can't remember are held up as physical ideals while a beard and fixie while smoking an ironic pipe seems to be what most youth aspire to these days.

Careful. You are infringing on Sparty's feelings.