• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Great result. Good to see that you got the job done even if the plan didn't quite work out. Congratulations.

Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk

Nice work! You forgot to mention if you got the medal for best post-squat dancing?

Shame about the timing and the heat, I can't stand lifting in a hot environment it sucks. I wonder if the timing was made worse by jetlag as well?

At least the heat should affect everyone equally

Great day for Aussies just got better. Looks like another gold going to Australia - M2 Eric Dumas will win in the Squat. Won't be able to watch the rest today, hope he does well on bench and deads

Thanks guys. I'm up after 3 hours sleep and about to head over to watch those youngster M2's & M1's do their thang.

Competition report.

My plan was to hit at least 200kg on the squat. I had some serious issues with upper quad pain over the last 3 months and I knew I was going to struggle just to hit my 180kg opener. Thanks to my coach for the day who threw on some deep heat cream and some serious ibuprofen consumption starting in the morning, I manage to get 205kg, but it was a struggle. I had barely managed singles at my opener for the last few weeks, so I did well, considering.

Bench was going to be touch and go due to a shoulder injury that is taking forever to heal. It was not too bad on the day. I also think I might have a hairline fracture in my right clavicle, which did not help. I got my opener easy, which was the plan with all my openers, then hit 145kg and decided to go for 152.5kg for my final. I lost focus on the ascent and lifted my butt so the whole thing fell apart. I should have gotten that easy, just a mis-groove and mental focus issue.

With deads, I was totally exhausted by the time they started. I had not eaten anything solid since 9am and it was starting to tell. I hit my opener easy enough which set a new world record (270kg) and that gave me the gold position with another total world record. I wanted to push on so went 285kg for my next lift and that was OK, but by then my left quad was starting to wake up from all the drugs. It wasn’t happy.

Went for 300 to finish just because thats what is expected of me and failed mid shin. I was just so wasted by then it was no surprise. Once it was all done there was most of an hour spent on the medal ceremony for all the weight classes. A pretty thin audience by then.

So, that’s it. I got my first world championship at long last. I set a couple of world record deadlifts and totals. Got bronze for my bench (which was a surprise), gold for deadlift and gold for overall. The latter is what I came for so despite the less than stellar figures, it was a complete success. I got a very crappy 635 total, the worst total I have ever had, except for my 600kg total in my first comp. I’m not unhappy as I got the championship medal, but I should have been up there in the high 600’s.

Well done mate on a great effort, and making yourself and Australia proud.

Congratulations on a well deserved win..., accomplished whilst injured, and if that wasn't enough, throwing in couple of World records for good measure...are you kidding me, you've done brilliantly, it just hasn't sunk in yet...but it will, eventually :)

Well done mate on a great effort, and making yourself and Australia proud.

Congratulations on a well deserved win..., accomplished whilst injured, and if that wasn't enough, throwing in couple of World records for good measure...are you kidding me, you've done brilliantly, it just hasn't sunk in yet...but it will, eventually :)

Thanks Fadi. I think it's sinking in today. Just saw the results sheet come through and everyone who competed that night did about 20-30% below their average total. So a hard night for all. Pity that I could not get my last deadlift. Normally I can do that at any comp. Next time. Calgary in Canada, June 2018. That will be a big one.

Thanks Fadi. I think it's sinking in today. Just saw the results sheet come through and everyone who competed that night did about 20-30% below their average total. So a hard night for all. Pity that I could not get my last deadlift. Normally I can do that at any comp. Next time. Calgary in Canada, June 2018. That will be a big one.
Speaking from experience and of course seeing others (even world champions) bomb out, I've always put it down to the nervous system. In my case, the weight got cleaned three times, and three times the jerk was overhead fully locked out, yet my body was unable to remain still long enough to get the down signal, as the bar wanted to come down a lot faster than was usual for me.

This has less to do with your level of power and strength, and more (much more) to do with how exhausted or rested your central nervous system was at the time of lifting. From your words above mate, your surprise let's call it, is very much resonating with me, as it did with Champions who missed a lift they were very confident (even their coaches were confident) of a successful outcome, but it was not to be.

So my message if I may, is perhaps a little bit more focus on some serious calming down, deep from the inside out next time when you'll be in Canada. In other words, make a conscious effort to actually calm your whole nervous system down and see yourself not only smashing the 300kg (which I'm sure you've done more than once), but even going beyond that marker.

All the best of health, and may you claim the title yet again come 2018.

Holy crapulations. I just watched the Junior and Sub Junior 120kg & 120+kg men thrash it out. There was one fatty there (from Brazil. He seemed to have some sort of medical issue as he had a huge arse but a normal face and shoulders, plus he had a hip problem) but generally the guys were reasonably lean (especially compared to the "slowly becoming defunct Westside fatties") and super motivated.

Pavlo Nakonechnyy totally creamed a 355kg deadlift to claim gold in the 120+ while Fraser Pennington got silver and had to be consoled out back by his coach. He was a bit teary. I told him that its just the beginning. He will be in Calgary next year for worlds.

Both of those guys are huge. About my height (I'm 189cm) and big as houses. I can only imagine what they will be doing in the open category soon. This sport is taking off gangbusters.

I do have one complaint. Its been all junior and sub junior women today and yesterday. A man could not look anywhere without seeing a pair of compression tights undergoing stress testing. Gave me a few heart flutters. Strong is the new skinny. Those girls look awesome.

Spoke to Jezza on the way back to the hotel along with another Nauru lifter, Irving Harris (squat world record and bronze in M2). Jezza seems to be nice and relaxed and ready for war. Great guy.

Women start the Open category tomorrow. Liz Craven and Megan Hinchley are in the 52kg class so will be on in the second session starting around 3pm local time.

I'm guessing Ray Williams will turn up in a day or so as will Kelly Branton from Canada (another 400+ squatter). Sergey Fedosienko arrived today. He is in the 59kg class and is listed as the second strongest powerlifter on the planet (behind Blaine Sumner). He pulled 300kg in his last deadlift workout this week so should blow apart a few records.

woody, met Glenda Presutti today. she was the nurse who was with me after surgery to remove stent for kidney stone.

61 and can deadlift 150kg at 57kg bodyweight. and looks great. 130kg squat and 60kg bench as well.

Watched the 52kg women yesterday, loved it. I never saw Joy Nnamani before she came out of nowhere and beltless, sleeveless, no wrist wraps.

Lots of grinding through sticking points on the squat was great to watch.

Liz Craven vs Marissa Inda too performed well.

And an experienced lifter Olga from Russia looked like she was squatting equipped style real slow but looked good. Shame she injured her shoulder looked a bit upset after that.

Brett Gibbs, bridesmaid again. Nothing is guaranteed. Two days of the heaviest weight classes coming up. Get yer popcorn popped and settle in for some epic battles.

#goJezza

woody, met Glenda Presutti today. she was the nurse who was with me after surgery to remove stent for kidney stone.

61 and can deadlift 150kg at 57kg bodyweight. and looks great. 130kg squat and 60kg bench as well.

There is just something about women and power lifting that makes me cringe Spart.

Went out for lunch with Frank yesterday, we were talking about the good old power lifting days, we were talking about a trip to Adelaide in 88 or 89, was a great trip, he took the Au championship there at 917 I think it was.
Good memories from them days.

There is just something about women and power lifting that makes me cringe Spart.

Went out for lunch with Frank yesterday, we were talking about the good old power lifting days, we were talking about a trip to Adelaide in 88 or 89, was a great trip, he took the Au championship there at 917 I think it was.
Good memories from them days.

did not realise that Frank won a national powerlifting championship, although I knew he was very strong.

Congrats Woody!
Fantastic effort, was great to watch.

Joey Zhingini of NPS Labs Gym in wollongong was another aussie who did ok also. 13th? maybe.
650@74kg. Karl DI Falco too. a bit ahead of him in 11th.

Brett Gibbs was dissapointing.