• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
In a sea of perspex platform stilettos, a fine mist of coconut oil is settling on 74-year-old Janice Lorraine's sinewy fake-tanned figure.
We are at the 2017 iCompete Natural (ICN) bodybuilding NSW titles, and Janice has her eye on the prize as her partner David Kendall pats a third layer of fake tan on her biceps.
"I haven't used this [fake tan] before so it's a new process. It's a little bit like preparing something for the frying pan at dinner," he said.
PHOTO: Janice Lorraine's partner David Kendall pats fake tan on to her before the competition. (ABC News)
Next to her, a woman in her 20s is having her bikini glued to her bottom.
"It's Bikini Bite to stop the bikini giving you a wedgie too much. It's just like a roll-on glue," the woman explains.
In a room filled with taut, tanned and nearly naked youthful bodies, Janice doesn't seem at all phased.
"Rather than being 74 and feeling awful and embarrassed, I feel good. Head up, strong, I strut along the street," Janice says.
"I'm probably the oldest female by far who is competing at the moment.
"I'm trying to set people free from the idea that a woman should be a certain way at a certain age."
[h=2]'Keep training, keep staying healthy'[/h]PHOTO: Contestants strut their stuff on stage. (ABC News: Elise Worthington)
Janice is here to compete in the 50-plus and 70-plus categories, and it's by no means her first rodeo.
The former psychologist has been competing nationally and internationally since 1998. Today's competition is a warm-up for her tilt at the World Amateur Natural Titles in Thailand later this month.
ICN NSW president and competition organiser Rab Mehajer says bodybuilding is now a longevity sport.
"There's more 40-plus and 50-plus ladies. It basically says to them, keep training, keep staying healthy, enjoy what you are doing, and then come and show it off."
PHOTO: A contestant gets help applying fake tan to her legs. (ABC News: Elise Worthington)
Janice started hitting the gym seriously after retiring at 55 and searching for a new focus instead of work.
"I go to the gym three days a week. I walk eight kilometres, I do push-ups, 30 push-ups on my knees, 30 on my toes, back-leg raises, abdominals, facial exercises. So that takes all morning. I get up at 5am," she says.
"A woman my age, 74, is expected to be a certain shape and a certain degree of frailty and the idea is to show, no, you don't have to fit that stereotype."
[h=2]Importance of staying fit longer[/h]At Janice's gym, she greets her fellow members by name.
As a former psychologist she understands the importance of community.
Her "gym family", as she calls it, is about more than exercise. It's also also a vital social group for older people who may no longer have work colleagues, close family or a partner.
Over the past two decades Australia's population aged 85 years and over has more than doubled, and by 2053 almost a quarter of the population will be aged over 65.
PHOTO: Men strike a pose on stage. (ABC News: Elise Worthington)
Back at the competition, Janice wins gold in the 70-plus category. She's thrilled, even though she was the only competitor.
For Janice, the months of gruelling preparation for bodybuilding comps isn't just for show. She wants to use it as a platform to show other people in their 60s, 70s and beyond that they can be vibrant and healthy at any age.
"I want to do everything I can and show other people you can be strong, you can be in shape and you've got to be excited about yourself and life."
She's not planning on slowing down anytime soon.
"As far as I am concerned, the only person to make a cut off is the good Lord.
"While I'm here I'll do everything I can to stay strong and as competitive as I can be for my age."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-...nice-lorraine-busting-age-stereotypes/8614666