• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I don't know what the best machines are for building Muscle, but I can tell you what the best Machines are for attracting Women - the ATM!

Most machines... when used correctly and in conjunction with a proper diet.

At the end of the day you could melt down 90% of the machines in modern gyms without ever missing them.

Ideally a barbell, weight plates with a bench and may be a squat rack will cover 95% of what you need, the rest is just fluff.

Many people spend 90% of their efforts on machines, when really it should probably be closer to 20-25%.

At the end of the day you could melt down 90% of the machines in modern gyms without ever missing them.

Ideally a barbell, weight plates with a bench and may be a squat rack will cover 95% of what you need, the rest is just fluff.

Many people spend 90% of their efforts on machines, when really it should probably be closer to 20-25%.

Conversely, you could melt down 90% of Barbells and Dumbells to make well constructed machines which target specific muscle groups and achieve just as much if not more muscle group then lifting with a BB and a Bench the whole time.

Conversely, you could melt down 90% of Barbells and Dumbells to make well constructed machines which target specific muscle groups and achieve just as much if not more muscle group then lifting with a BB and a Bench the whole time.

spot on. both free weights and machines have their strengths an weaknesses. both can be useful to sport conditioning.

I talked to a very good powerlifter at the gym and he never touched a machine,everything was done with a barbell.Specificity.However i like some machines as i get bored very quickly.I actually get a better stretch using a chest supported row compared with a bent over barbell row for example.

yes, all that matters is that a muscle is worked. obviously some machines are more functional than others, but many machines have their place.

I think you guys completely missed my point, at no stage did I suggest that machines can't achieve a goal in body building, by the same token they are NOT necessary, you can body build just fine without any machines.

If you were to set up a home gym with specific machines for each muscle group, it would cost you 20-30K in equipment not counting the massive building you would need to house all the machines. While you can achieve the exact same end result with about $1-2 K's worth of plates, bars, bench and rack, that will fit in the spare bedroom or half your garage.

I highly doubt this. So you would seriously give up weights and barbells for some crappie machine that takes up a whole room and exercises your biceps.

Seems like a very inefficient way of doing things.

Lets say we both have 2K to spend on Gym Equipment, I go and buy a barbell, some plates a bench and squat stands. You get to spend your 2K buying one machine if you are lucky to get one for 2K.

I wonder who will be able to train more and achieve better results out of their 2K investment in fitness equipment??:D

I think you guys completely missed my point, at no stage did I suggest that machines can't achieve a goal in body building, by the same token they are NOT necessary, you can body build just fine without any machines.

If you were to set up a home gym with specific machines for each muscle group, it would cost you 20-30K in equipment not counting the massive building you would need to house all the machines. While you can achieve the exact same end result with about $1-2 K's worth of plates, bars, bench and rack, that will fit in the spare bedroom or half your garage.

I agree with that. you can go a long way on a barbell set and a basic rack.

Good discussion

Firstly a muscle doesn’t know whether it’s a barbell, dumbbell. Kettlebell or machine.
but if exercise doesn’t meet the 10 requirement s for proper exercise an injury is inevitable, that is a guarantee.

Thinking about this...I reckon the machine came about because barbells have their limitations and in some cases caused injuries.