• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I agree that running is right up there with crossfit as it does more harm than good. Of all the cardio I do/tried, it's by far my least favourite. It's not something to can do daily, unless you can deal with swollen feet and fractured shins. It's so harsh on the knees, feet and hips for such little return. And unlike weight training, where you somewhat have muscle memory, if you stop running, you lose it all immediately.

However I think the problem is partially the way we run. As a species, we are designed to run, but not on bitumen in sneakers. Because nearly all shoes have a raised heal, we strike the ground heal first. Run bare-feet and you immediately change the way you run; ball of the foot striking first. If you do it any other way, you'll kill the nerves in your heal and up your leg.
It made sense when I qualified in the fast group of the City-Bay 12km run where all the sub 1 hour runners wore flat thin-soled shoes.

Last edited:
personally i use to hate running when i was in the army and in school, despite the most i ran at any one time was about 2.5 km's.

Never ran anything longer than that.

These days though i run up to 2.5 kays but just love doing it. I am a bit of a masochist though and love the feeling of exercising by running.

Can fully understand the OP's thoughts on the dangers of marathon running, i lost a colleague and very good friend who just happen to organise and run in the Burnie 10: https://www.burnieten.com.au/ a 10 km marathon run held each year. He was a fitness fanatic and died from a heart attack in his early 30's.

personally i use to hate running when i was in the army and in school, despite the most i ran at any one time was about 2.5 km's.

Never ran anything longer than that.

These days though i run up to 2.5 kays but just love doing it. I am a bit of a masochist though and love the feeling of exercising by running.

Can fully understand the OP's thoughts on the dangers of marathon running, i lost a colleague and very good friend who just happen to organise and run in the Burnie 10: https://www.burnieten.com.au/ a 10 km marathon run held each year. He was a fitness fanatic and died from a heart attack in his early 30's.
I see read that a lot.

After training for a marathon last year I'm keen to get one done in my lifetime. As I progressed I didn't mind running but couldn't do those long distances all the time. At the time each new long distance run was a new challenge and was cool to actually do it.
I still jog a couple of times a week, I'm slow but enjoy the early mornings. I also enjoy trail runs, got a forest near where I live with a trail to an old quarry and has a lot of hills to get through. Next year if all goes to plan I'll complete Tough Mudder, GC Marathon and Spartan, all very slowly though.

So there was a mention of running and seemingly fit people dying during a race.

I read a docotors take this. They said they didn't see this as a downside to endurance training. What they suspected was happening is these guys health and fitness is masking any underlying issues they have and they don't get checked out for issues. Therefore the odd person ends up dropping dead for no reason even though they are fit. That works out as a good excuse for most people not to get fit.

Last edited:
So there was a mention of running seemingly fit dying during a race.

I read a docotors take this. They said they didn't see this as a downside to endurance training. What they suspected was happening is these guys health and fitness is masking any underlying issues they have they and don't get checked out for issues. Therefore the odd person ends up dropping dead for no reason even though they are fit. That works out as a good excuse for most people not to get fit.

Yep agree with that, the running is not the issue here the underlying and undiagnosed health problem is.

We as humans are designed to run/walk long distances, I agree that running a marathon probably does more harm than good, but a good steady run has amazing health benefits and conditioning benefits. I used to do a LOT of running as part of my previous training when I was younger, mostly between 3-5km a day.

When I started boxing we used to run 3km before every training session and 5km every non training day. It's basic conditioning, people complaining about sore legs and feet from daily running should probably look at a spoon full of concrete and may be changing brands of tampons.