• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
If you look at Arnold (or any BB'er)in his prime compared to his junior years it is very obvious that the shape of his pec had not changed at all.

All of these dudes would have used used many variants of pushing.

You cannot change the shape of a muscle through exercise
An EMG tells you nothing about what's actually going on within the muscle via exercise

wtf is emg activity? Time to google...

Oh it's like an Electrocardiogram but for other muscles. Dunno what use that would be beyond possibly identifying areas of weaker muscle activity than others. Best to just do the exercise and check results a month later with some callipers/tape measure.

Even though EMG is flawed, as you would need sensors in the muscle, not just on the surface fibres, it's still a good indicator of which muscles are firing.

If you're going to shit on something, provide an alternative measurement or at least some half-assed reasoning. Obviously there are nerves within muscles that fire particular fibres. Certain exercises will get particular nerves to fire and give a better mind muscle connection or contraction.

Even though EMG is flawed, as you would need sensors in the muscle, not just on the surface fibres, it's still a good indicator of which muscles are firing.

If you're going to shit on something, provide an alternative measurement or at least some half-assed reasoning. Obviously there are nerves within muscles that fire particular fibres. Certain exercises will get particular nerves to fire and give a better mind muscle connection or contraction.

Are you talking about anyone specific here?

In relation to "shifting on something"?

Probably me [MENTION=3627]Goosey[/MENTION];
The thing is @steveP; , I think it's pretty self evident that measuring EMG has little to do with how well you can build muscle otherwise we'd all be doing the exact same exercises that fire the most nerves and we'd all be huuuge but that's not what really happens though is it.

Probably me @Goosey;
The thing is @steveP; , I think it's pretty self evident that measuring EMG has little to do with how well you can build muscle otherwise we'd all be doing the exact same exercises that fire the most nerves and we'd all be huuuge but that's not what really happens though is it.

You're missing the point, it's to identify which exercises target which muscle groups. Some are obvious, but some are not. For example the pull up is great for the rear delts. Building muscle is up the individual and how hard you want to train. At least with the EMG studies you can design a workout plan around certain exercises to ensure you have a balanced physique.

Are you talking about anyone specific here?

In relation to "shifting on something"?
It's pretty clearly directed at your and Darkoz's post. First response; fuck me, fuck that, stupid studies.

AusBB is breathing its last breathe before the forum falls over, and this is first response to any discussion. May as well close up shop if everything worth discussing is shit.

You're an angry humourless little possum turd stevie
And yes most studies are fucken stupid and serve only to stop some from progressing, don't study studies, you'll better off.

Oh well carry on with the decline press
How much weight?
And how many reps will give you some over hang?

Oh well carry on with the decline press
How much weight?
And how many reps will give you some over hang?

70-80% of 1rm, 6-12 reps per set, 2-3 minutes rest between sets, 40-60 reps total per muscle group over the workout which may include a downset of 50-60% 1rm to failure #becausescience
As for EMG, I think they're better for ruling out exercises for certain muscle groups than ruling in eg if a muscle shows a low reading compare to voluntary contraction (really anything sub-50%) then it probably isn't a good exercise to build that muscle group, and conversely if it has a high reading (80%+) that alone isn't enough to say it's the best exercise depending on goals

Angles matter little, just takes emphasis off chest and more to the delts. I did incline exclusively for years in order to grow more upper. Nope. Nothing. Lower chest grew though.

If your pec isn't shaped that way naturally it never will be. All you can do is exaggerate it's natural shape by adding mass.

Clearly I have little muscle fibre there but my point was that the angle (incline/decline etc) does not mean it works that part of the chest exclusively.