• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
1rm or 15 reps, the weight matters little compared to the quality of reps, TUT, mind muscle connection, etc etc.
I'm not saying to make it easy, but the weight on the bar is one of the smaller factors. You can be the strongest guy in the gym and not be the biggest, just like you can be the biggest and not be the strongest.

How many people in your gym compete in bodybuilding compared to powerlifters?

How many do you see worldwide? Professionals... powerlifters and bodybuilders? Natty or otherwise...

1rm or 15 reps, the weight matters little compared to the quality of reps, TUT, mind muscle connection, etc etc.
I'm not saying to make it easy, but the weight on the bar is one of the smaller factors. You can be the strongest guy in the gym and not be the biggest, just like you can be the biggest and not be the strongest.

Totally wrong. Weight is a very important factor along with the others with bodybuilding.

The strongest and not the biggest is a different topic and doesn't prove your point.

Totally wrong. Weight is a very important factor along with the others with bodybuilding.

The strongest and not the biggest is a different topic and doesn't prove your point.
Ok, say a bodybuilder wants to add half an inch to their chest. Does this strictly mean the only way to achieve that is by adding more weight to the bar? No way...

Another way to look at it...

Who's stronger or going to get better results in terms of size?

Dude A - lifts heavier, does 10 reps in 20 seconds, has 3 minutes break between sets
Dude B - lifts 10-15kg less than Dude A, does 10 reps in 45 seconds and has 1 minute​ between sets

One workout doesnt mean shit all in the grand scheme.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Before I troll back through these posts let me just add this.

The number of rep's is moot the number of reps is a target we reach all the different numbers eg; tut, 10x xkg 20 x xkg means nothing unless you increase the pounds on the bar, please, this is just simple stuff the methods we use to get there will depend on the individuals

The number of rep's is moot the number of reps is a target we reach all the different numbers eg; tut, 10x xkg 20 x xkg means nothing unless you increase the pounds on the bar, please, this is just simple stuff the methods we use to get there will depend on the individuals
Yep.

The problem is that everything has to be one extreme or the other. "All you need to do is add weight to the bar" or "the weight doesn't matter if you're training properly". The truth it somewhere in the middle.

If you train properly (form, worthwhile exercises, scheduled rest) and the actual weight comes second, the weight will just increase on its own as the workout you did last week will become easy. However I think the inverse of this doesn't work. You can't just keep stacking on the weight week after week and just assume your form is going to magically correct itself or you'll all of a sudden understand periodization.

I think this is where the actual debate is. That you should focus on correct training scheduling first and the weight second.

How do you know one will do better than the other?

Do I really need to simplify it and say it's the same dude?

So if you do 2 more reps at the same weight, everything else being constant, have you not made progress?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Timeah again.

Don't let good ol' proper training talk get in the way of the bitchyness around here.

Now, I think you are including me in this you never know.

Some of us over the years (many) have said many things good and bad, we cop it, I personally would like to think I've helped an individual whether that's making them get results by trying what I've suggested through experience, you on the other hand bitch and moan all day long.

Do I really need to simplify it and say it's the same dude?

So if you do 2 more reps at the same weight, everything else being constant, have you not made progress?

I'm going to ask this first

Before I answer

What is the target rep number?

The problem is that everything has to be one extreme or the other. "All you need to do is add weight to the bar" or "the weight doesn't matter if you're training properly". The truth it somewhere in the middle.

If you train properly (form, worthwhile exercises, scheduled rest) and the actual weight comes second, the weight will just increase on its own as the workout you did last week will become easy. However I think the inverse of this doesn't work. You can't just keep stacking on the weight week after week and just assume your form is going to magically correct itself or you'll all of a sudden understand periodization.

I think this is where the actual debate is. That you should focus on correct training scheduling first and the weight second.
That's more or less what I'm saying. Not the extreme of "you don't need to add weight to the bar" but that it isn't as big a factor as a lot of people seem to make out (for those seeking strictly hypertrophy). If you're not training for strength, you don't need to try and lift more than what you're capable of at the sacrifice of form or TUT.