• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Any other questions [MENTION=18677]Acme[/MENTION]; start another thread. You can't go wrong here!

What is your opinion on this comment @steveP;

100% agree. There are 2 topics being mixed together here; trying to target certain parts of muscles and EMG studies to show activation.

The only way to change the shape of a muscle is to increase or decrease its mass. EMG studies help for exercise selection.

A lot of the time a particular exercise will give someone a great mind muscle connection and others it will not. There's no one size fits all solution here. So use all the tools at your disposal to find the right exercises for you and the muscles you're trying to work.

100% agree. There are 2 topics being mixed together here; trying to target certain parts of muscles and EMG studies to show activation.

The only way to change the shape of a muscle is to increase or decrease its mass. EMG studies help for exercise selection.

A lot of the time a particular exercise will give someone a great mind muscle connection and others it will not. There's no one size fits all solution here. So use all the tools at your disposal to find the right exercises for you and the muscles you're trying to work.

1. So you believe a muscle can change in shape?

2. Do you think its more a case of leverage advantage as opposed to this so called "mind muscle connection" that you like?

You often read a out using certain pulling to place emphasis on widening the lats but as like all muscle it can only increase in overall thickness.

The pecs could be placed in certain position or angle to emphasize growth, but that would be minimal

1. So you believe a muscle can change in shape?

Read above, it can change in size.

2. Do you think its more a case of leverage advantage as opposed to this so called "mind muscle connection" that you like?

Studies (I know people here don't like that word, so let's say a story I heard on the internet) show that muscle activation is increased by 20% if the person thinks about contracting the muscle while performing an exercise. So being able to focus on what you're doing and contracting the muscle plays a huge factor. I'm a big fan of selecting exercises where you can't cheat or it's very hard to cheat (so you'll just do it properly). Exercises like pull ups deadlifts. You either complete each rep properly or it's not a rep.

You often read a out using certain pulling to place emphasis on widening the lats but as like all muscle it can only increase in overall thickness.

Exactly, so if you want a wider back, target the lats. How do you target the lats? Find exercises where the lats do most the work and the other back muscles are at a disadvantage to help out.

People who say "widen the lats" are just using sloppy english or don't understand anatomy.

Regional hypertrophy (ie preferencing certain fibres within an individual muscle for growth) is definitely a thing.
Basic example: hip extension based movements preference the proximal hamstring fibres (and bias the laterally situated biceps femoris over the medically situated semimembranenous and semitendonosis) whilst knee flexion based movements preference the distal hamstring fibres
https://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/hypertrophy/regional-hypertrophy/

Read above, it can change in size.

Studies (I know people here don't like that word, so let's say a story I heard on the internet) show that muscle activation is increased by 20% if the person thinks about contracting the muscle while performing an exercise. So being able to focus on what you're doing and contracting the muscle plays a huge factor. I'm a big fan of selecting exercises where you can't cheat or it's very hard to cheat (so you'll just do it properly). Exercises like pull ups deadlifts. You either complete each rep properly or it's not a rep.

Fuck you're arrogance is strong.
I did read above, you stated "shape".

In terms of contraction, a muscle contracts that's it primary purpose the force of contraction is dictated by the levevel of resistance throughout the repetition

Fuck you're arrogance is strong.
I did read above, you stated "shape".

In terms of contraction, a muscle contracts that's it primary purpose the force of contraction is dictated by the levevel of resistance throughout the repetition

Right, if your muscle grows, it is now a new shape.

This is problem on this forum, the dance of the 'tards arguing over semantics.

Does anyone here think practically? What's one exercise where you can isolate a muscle where other muscle groups don't try to help out or stabilise? It doesn't exist; the body tries to work as one. So you want to find exercises where you can minimise the non targeted muscles helping out.

Look at the squat, there are many ways you can cheat up the weight as lots of muscles are contributing. Your body doesn't care about resistance curves. You need to use your own conscious brain to focus on what you're trying to achieve.

Last edited:
If people don't agree with you Steve you then go on about the problems of the forum, you are very childish in this regard.

It explains why it's dead. I'm illustrating a point as it's not "people who disagree with me". Everyone else on here who puts in effort I get along with great. It's only you 2 who I have issues with. And the funny thing is everyone else also have issues with you. Maybe there's a correlation there?

Do you really think this bickering you love so much benefits anyone? Do you ever post anything that may be beneficial to someone without the snarky attitude? Myself and many others use forums as a repository of great information from more experienced members who came before. Clearly this concept is foreign to you.

Last edited:
It explains why it's dead. I'm illustrating a point as it's not "people who disagree with me". Everyone else on here who puts in effort I get along with great. It's only you 2 who I have issues with. And the funny thing is everyone else also have issues with you. Maybe there's a correlation there?

Do you really think this bickering you love so much benefits anyone? Do you ever post anything that may be beneficial to someone without the snarky attitude? Myself and many others use forums as a repository of great information from more experienced members who came before. Clearly this concept is foreign to you.

Lol
Everyone here thinks the same as me

Definitely one of the reasons. People are not going to hang around with miserable, grumpy people.

Don't sweat Andy's attitude Steve. He is prone to bigorexia attacks every now and then and they make him cranky.

Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk

Miserable? Grumpy? Fark talk about pot and kettle stevie, you're a humourless little character while Goosey is one of the funniest bastards here, if not the funniest.

Try to crack a smile stevie, we all love you man.