• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
C

citrusjuice

Hi guys,

I'm looking to build a basic home gym, and was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a power rack (preferably with a pull up bar) that is about 1.8m-1.9m.

My garage ceiling has a height restriction of about 2m

Thanks.

Have you thought about a squat rack instead? If you've only got 100mm or so between the pull up bar and the roof, aren't you going to be hitting your head when you do pull ups anyway?

Can always throw a barbell on the top peg of the squat rack and pull up on that and they're usually only 1600 or so high so you'll have about half a metre clearance

I don't know what it is but I can't get it to feel right doing pull-ups on the power rack. I do them on one of the supports on the roof of the shed.

If if you want to do it on the cheap get some squat stands off eBay for under $100.

Last edited:
I have been watching a lot of garage gym vids recently and one guy, who had the same problem, just cut a few cm off the top of his power rack and moved the pullup bar down to the new top bolt holes.

The fold back wall mount rack could do the trick. It's shorter to start with and has a few cm at the top that could be cut off.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll look at squat racks/half racks now.

The Rogue SML-1 looks like something I might go with but the safety spotter arms are some expensive lol - 1k all up.

I've been searching for something similar, I think something like - this might just fit? xxx.gymdirect.com.au/shop/strength-equipment/racks/squat-racks-and-stands/half-rack/

Height from bottom to ceiling of my garage is about 2.20m, height of this is 2.06m with the pull up bar slightly lower. $345.00

Add a barbel + weights, adjustable bench, rubbers mats and should be able to set a small home gym for around 1-1.5k?

I'm a beginner just looking at setting something up to be able to do bench, deadlifts, squats, pull ups safely lol.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated! :)

I don't know what it is but I can't get it to feel right doing pull-ups on the power rack. .

Like needing to take the flex out of a Bar before Deadlifting???

I got so used to doing Pull-ups on a Beam under the House as a Kid, I didn't like doing them with a standard Chin-up bar.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll look at squat racks/half racks now.

The Rogue SML-1 looks like something I might go with but the safety spotter arms are some expensive lol - 1k all up.

I've been searching for something similar, I think something like - this might just fit? xxx.gymdirect.com.au/shop/strength-equipment/racks/squat-racks-and-stands/half-rack/

Height from bottom to ceiling of my garage is about 2.20m, height of this is 2.06m with the pull up bar slightly lower. $345.00

Add a barbel + weights, adjustable bench, rubbers mats and should be able to set a small home gym for around 1-1.5k?

I'm a beginner just looking at setting something up to be able to do bench, deadlifts, squats, pull ups safely lol.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated! :)
http://www.gymdirect.com.au/shop/pa...-bar-and-145kg-olympic-weights-package-price/

Wouldn't be a bad deal, just add flooring. Think it works out cheaper that way than building your own package on gymdirect. Or ask them if they can do it cheaper without the high low pulley if you don't really want it

Like needing to take the flex out of a Bar before Deadlifting???

I got so used to doing Pull-ups on a Beam under the House as a Kid, I didn't like doing them with a standard Chin-up bar.

I think I just need something higher than my reach or it doesn't feel right.

Wouldn't be a bad deal, just add flooring. Think it works out cheaper that way than building your own package on gymdirect. Or ask them if they can do it cheaper without the high low pulley if you don't really want it

Sweet, may go with this

Those squat stands are the best, not necessarily that brand, the best way to squat in those is without those stoopid safewty bars, they are trouble

The easiest solution is to take the ceiling panels out over the power rack. It will protrude into the roof cavity and when you do pull-ups you talk to the rats and spiders in the roof. Of course an even better solution is to put the whole thing outside under a decent height carport, gazebo or veranda. Then you get heaps of fresh air and the body has to adapt to training in the elements - under range of different atmospheric conditions which I believe is good for you.

Those squat stands are the best, not necessarily that brand, the best way to squat in those is without those stoopid safewty bars, they are trouble

Have you ever used Squat Stands go, I mean Acme?

When I had them I always wanted a Rack so I could safely bail out of 20 rep Squat sets. Ended up tieing tow ropes from the Ceiling Beam.

In my experience its safer to dump that bad boy of your back using squat stand than one of those hideous cages.

In all my life I've never had to dump a bar off my back.
For a powerlifter doing one reppers id say it pretty important to have straps hanging

In terms of the op, that's a lot of waste if you're trying to fit one in your garage based on whether the chin bar is going to fit.

Buy some squat stands and stick a chin up bar outside or inside bolted to the wall ffs.

So this is the gym setup I'm thinking of buying this week. What do you guys reckon?

- Rogue SML-1 Squat Rack ($1005.00)
- Titan Pro 7ft Olympic Barbell ($179.00)
- Fitek Bumper Plates 150kg package ($560.00)
- Force USA FID Adjustable Bench ($129.00)
- Power Maxx Adjustable Rubber Dumbells 60kg ($175.00)
- Rubber Flooring

Total of $2048.00 + cost of rubber flooring

In my experience its safer to dump that bad boy of your back using squat stand than one of those hideous cages.

In all my life I've never had to dump a bar off my back.
For a powerlifter doing one reppers id say it pretty important to have straps hanging

In a failed squat I've never dumped it off my back in the rack. It's always getting stuck in the hole so it's usually just a lean/lower forward on the pins.

So this is the gym setup I'm thinking of buying this week. What do you guys reckon?

- Rogue SML-1 Squat Rack ($1005.00)
- Titan Pro 7ft Olympic Barbell ($179.00)
- Fitek Bumper Plates 150kg package ($560.00)
- Force USA FID Adjustable Bench ($129.00)
- Power Maxx Adjustable Rubber Dumbells 60kg ($175.00)
- Rubber Flooring

Total of $2048.00 + cost of rubber flooring

1000 for a squat stand. Really? There will be plenty of cheaper stuff out there but if you got the money go for it.

I wouldn't bother with bumpers unless thinking of very seriously doing o lifts. A few powercleans doesn't require bumpers.

Last edited:
In a failed squat I've never dumped it off my back in the rack. It's always getting stuck in the hole so it's usually just a lean/lower forward on the pins.

Yep, "collapse" forward.

One of few times I (tried) to Squat 200 was with Stands. I blacked out and went forwards not backwards. Bar musta rolled over my Head. Wished I had a Rack then.

In terms of the op, that's a lot of waste if you're trying to fit one in your garage based on whether the chin bar is going to fit.

Buy some squat stands and stick a chin up bar outside or inside bolted to the wall ffs.
Agreed. I started with squat stands - no safeties - and a chinup bar. Only restriction was I had to do high-bar, I've never been able to dump the bar off my back from low-bar.