• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Graham

there are 10 requirements for proper exercise, a lot do not meet those requirements, so we do a combination of exercise over time.

there are other exercises that will more safely and efficiently strengthen the muscle than the one the op is talking about.
the curl being one of the, the only disadvantage is there is no pre- stretch.

designing a machine or exercise to work the muscle throughout its full potential range as it's a multi joint function would be impossible

Last edited:
Like this?

No bro, like this....

e067a69a0aed9eb790742b4589fa5a3c.gif

why has training moved on from basic training to circus acts? please explain someone.

Basic training as in some bulking (fat) bodybuilder laying on a bench, pressing some dumbbells for 10 reps and being out of breath? I think that sort of stuff is way more functional and better for fitness and strength. Look at gymnasts. Way more jacked and stronger than most of us will ever be.

why has training moved on from basic training to circus acts? please explain someone.

I think you know why.

to fully appreciate this you need to have a good knowledge of the past in particular American football and the origins or evolution of their strength and conditioning it's fascinating, and one of my favorite topics.
as with all thing opinions will vary.

one group believed additional muscle slows a body down
another, embraced Olympic lifting, up until recently powerlifting practice and then spurious versions of crossfit
while other felt skill and the training of the skill pathways was key.

nothing much has changed in the last 60 years
if you go to ASAP.com you get a good just of what is a slowly growing trend, it's taken 60 years

Last edited:

:D

I think it's because this is a bodyweight Hamstring exercise which can be done anywhere - anywhere you can anchor your Feet and cushion your Knees. Like Dips, Push Ups, Chins or Squats etc.

(Yes, I anchor my Feet and cushion my Knees for Dips, Chins, Push Ups and Squats you smart arses!)

Like this?

Actually, this variation would overcome one of the shortcomings of the traditional Floor Glute Ham Raise - the lack of hip hinge, would it not [MENTION=3627]Goosey[/MENTION]; [MENTION=7188]The Hamburgler[/MENTION];

What's it called though?

Actually, this variation would overcome one of the shortcomings of the traditional Floor Glute Ham Raise - the lack of hip hinge, would it not @Goosey; @The Hamburgler;

What's it called though?

"Razor curl"
Ive tried them (managed to do a full eccentric but had to use my head to do the concentric lol). Completely different feeling to a traditional Nordic curl.
I actually quite like weighted kneeling good mornings (basically knee at 90deg, just hinge forwards at the hip til your face hits the ground). I *think* 8-10 weeks of those fixed my hips shooting up & back coming out of the bottom of my squats, although I don't track my training variables much so can't say for sure.

"Razor curl"
Ive tried them (managed to do a full eccentric but had to use my head to do the concentric lol). Completely different feeling to a traditional Nordic curl.
I actually quite like weighted kneeling good mornings (basically knee at 90deg, just hinge forwards at the hip til your face hits the ground). I *think* 8-10 weeks of those fixed my hips shooting up & back coming out of the bottom of my squats, although I don't track my training variables much so can't say for sure.

Cheers. On spread.

Just Googled it. A study popped up:

"The razor curl: a functional approach to hamstring training.

Abstract

This study examined the effectiveness of a functional hamstring training exercise, the razor curl on conditioning the hamstring and gluteal musculature. Eight healthy, female intercollegiate athletes participated (mean age 20.8 +/- 3.9 years; mean height, 177.8 +/- 10.9 cm; mean weight, 67.3 +/- 9.9 kg). Electromyographic (EMG) data were collected on the following muscles: medial hamstring (semimembranosus and semitendinosus), biceps femoris, gluteus medius, and gluteus maximus while participants performed the razor curl. The functional positioning of the razor curl showed maximum activation of the medial hamstring muscle group of up to 220% of its maximum voluntary isometric contraction (MVIC), just as the biceps femoris displayed a max of up to 140% of MVIC. Maximum activation of the hamstrings and gluteals were observed from the point of 90 degrees of hip flexion to the point of knee flexion beyond 90 degrees . These data reveal that the razor curl does indeed activate the hamstring musculature and based on the mechanics of the razor curl one can train in a more functional position. It is known biomechanically that flexing the hip allows for a lengthening contraction of the hamstring at the hip, thus allowing for a more optimal forceful contraction of the hamstrings at the knee. In conclusion, the razor curl hamstring exercise is designed to increase hamstring contractibility by placing the hip into flexion. By including strengthening the hamstring in a functional position one accentuates other land based training methods such as jump landing training in efforts to ultimately decrease the susceptibility of anterior cruciate ligament injury."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19204567

Cheers. On spread.

Just Googled it. A study popped up:

"The razor curl: a functional approach to hamstring training.

Abstract

This study examined the effectiveness of a functional hamstring training exercise, the razor curl on conditioning the hamstring and gluteal musculature. Eight healthy, female intercollegiate athletes participated (mean age 20.8 +/- 3.9 years; mean height, 177.8 +/- 10.9 cm; mean weight, 67.3 +/- 9.9 kg). Electromyographic (EMG) data were collected on the following muscles: medial hamstring (semimembranosus and semitendinosus), biceps femoris, gluteus medius, and gluteus maximus while participants performed the razor curl. The functional positioning of the razor curl showed maximum activation of the medial hamstring muscle group of up to 220% of its maximum voluntary isometric contraction (MVIC), just as the biceps femoris displayed a max of up to 140% of MVIC. Maximum activation of the hamstrings and gluteals were observed from the point of 90 degrees of hip flexion to the point of knee flexion beyond 90 degrees . These data reveal that the razor curl does indeed activate the hamstring musculature and based on the mechanics of the razor curl one can train in a more functional position. It is known biomechanically that flexing the hip allows for a lengthening contraction of the hamstring at the hip, thus allowing for a more optimal forceful contraction of the hamstrings at the knee. In conclusion, the razor curl hamstring exercise is designed to increase hamstring contractibility by placing the hip into flexion. By including strengthening the hamstring in a functional position one accentuates other land based training methods such as jump landing training in efforts to ultimately decrease the susceptibility of anterior cruciate ligament injury."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19204567

If you google image search "Hamstring EMG" you can go through a bunch of graphs showing activity levels for a variety of exercises.
cliffs: body weight, knee flexion based exercises rate highest. Squats fare horribly. Deadlifts fall somewhere in the middle

Fuckin functional.

The EMg is not a good tool to measure the time a muscle is under load, this test appeared to had just measured the stress at one point 90degrees it does not measure the force or the "foot-pounds" throughout the range of motion.

As I've stated over and over to you numbskulls there are much better, safer and more efficient exercises that you can do to strengthen and improve the flexibility of the hamstring.

The "razor" thing is just another stupid gimmick.

Fuckin functional.

The EMg is not a good tool to measure the time a muscle is under load, this test appeared to had just measured the stress at one point 90degrees it does not measure the force or the "foot-pounds" throughout the range of motion.

As I've stated over and over to you numbskulls there are much better, safer and more efficient exercises that you can do to strengthen and improve the flexibility of the hamstring.

The "razor" thing is just another stupid gimmick.

EMG measures through the full ROM; they're merely stating the joint angles at which peak contraction occurs
and no offence, but I'll take the opinion of a collective 100,000 university hours and millions of practical hours from strength coaches through dozens of different countries (including non-English speaking) over yours regarding eccentric based hamstring exercises

Doas it measure the force throughout the movement and the degree of force and how quickly it changes?

And because people on here seem to stuck in the Stone Age re: "functional" exercises
"An injury-preventing effect of the FIFA injury prevention programmes compared with controls was shown in football. This effect was induced by the FIFA 11+ prevention programme which has a substantial injury-preventing effect by reducing football injuries by 39%"

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/7/562

for those who can't be bothered reading - the program is basically a bunch of balance exercises done before training + Nordics