• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Snoochies

If I'm going to come clean, this is a major issue for me and no doubt it's 99.99% of the reason I fail reaching my goals.
If I'm training and have a plan, my diet is is great, I plan my meals, I stick to the plan and results slowly follow.
Recently I did an injury whilst lifting, I convinced myself I needed the rest anyway so relaxed a little on the food for a week. Decided to lift again, injury was still aggravated so I continued on my relaxed diet, then this leas into a weeks holidays I had planned so convinced myself I'd start again after the holiday but this was just before easter and so the chocolate eggs came out and a week after easter I had a camping trip book so put the diet on the back burner til I got back and when I did get back was only 2 more days til the next long weekend and here I am.
1 month of eating crap and no workouts and it's no surprise I feel like crap.
So for me I have a major issue, I'm either all in or all out. As long as I remember food has been a treat or something to enjoy but I gotta break this habit.
So I need to learn some hard truths and get to the root cause and I'm being vulnerable here by admitting my weakness and lack of discipline.

I was reading an old PTC transformation blog where Markos writes about emotional eating and his cure so to speak was for 2 weeks, 185g of Tuna and vegetables 5 times per day. Extreme yes, but is it worth a shot for someone weak willed like me?

Who or has anyone overcome emotional eating?

Cheers

Stop the obsession, get out and enjoy life, get a girlfriend root around, dig a hole biuld a fence, go out with other people, get the idea?

Harden the fuck up.

You are looking for some sort of "secret", maybe a magic pill of some sort or a guru who will open your eyes to the truth.

Bottom line, you are responsible for what you do. The answer is to stop phukking around with "rest" and "holidays" and all those other piss weak excuses you are leaning on. YOU are responsible, so when you go off the diet, it's not "emotional eating", it's you not doing what you are supposed to do. And you know it.

I needed the rest anyway so relaxed a little on the food for a week

Why?

What you eat has got stuff all with what you are doing in the gym when eating for fat loss. The only relationship is that the exercise helps your eating goals. So, why give up on the diet just because you can't go do deadlifts?

This just shows a lack of commitment and determination. It's like all those interwebs posts about needing "inspiration", usually showing someone who is looking for attention doing yoga at sunset at the beach or on top of a mountain. Inspiration is for those without commitment.

So, if you are on a diet and you REALLY want to lose fat, why are you anywhere within a 10km drive of any sort of chocolate? Or other crap food. Did you not go through your pantry with a big cardboard box and get rid of all crap food, processed food and anything not on your diet list?

If you want to diet for fat loss, just do it. You don't need an extreme diet. That's for advanced dieters. For a beginner, just get rid of the crap. You just need a balanced diet using real food with a slight caloric deficit. Anything more than that, you will either rebound or fall off the wagon.

What [MENTION=13432]WoodyAllen[/MENTION] said. Just clean out all the bad food feom
your house and when you buy food ask yourself 1 simple question. Will this food help or hinder my goals? You are a grown adult and I am sure by now you know whether a chocolate egg is helping or hindering. If you can't do this you either don't want it enough or your lazy !!! A couple of other tips may help, the first is to do what [MENTION=3627]Goosey[/MENTION] said, go out and do stuff and then you will have less chance to boredom eat, the second tip is to never eat in front of the Tv, computer, iPad, phone (no screens). Eat at the table as a meal only. Good luck with it.

IT never hurts anyone to stay a little hungry all the time, it is in fact actually healthier in the long term

Last edited:
I don't think tuna and veg all day erry day is the answer. It'll probably just give you massive cravings. You can still have things you enjoy, maybe not as frequently and in more moderate quantities. Whether that's a small treat daily, a 'cheat' meal every few days or whatever. At the end of the day you need to change your eating habits. Unfortunately there is no easy way. Dieting sucks, plain and simple. But it does get easier, and as habits change a different diet becomes the norm.

Thanks to everyone who only reiterated what I had already admitted.
Getting out and doing plenty is not the issue.
As I said it's when I stop the plan for whatever reason I have the mental breakdown. Yep it's weakness I know that and not looking for justification, some practical advice like harden up always works I guess ?.

Thanks to everyone who only reiterated what I had already admitted.
Getting out and doing plenty is not the issue.
As I said it's when I stop the plan for whatever reason I have the mental breakdown. Yep it's weakness I know that and not looking for justification, some practical advice like harden up always works I guess ?.

I dont really look at this as a weakness, we (including yourself) know you can put the work in and we know you can get results so you aren't mentally or physically week. What I think you need is to change your relationship with food or at least improve the healthiness of the food choices you make. Just making simple changes like choosing to eat only whole foods that are not processed will help. That essentially means you only eat meat, dairy, veggies, rice and nuts/pulses/beans.
You need to think about what triggers you to have bad eating habits and either change the habit or be aware of it up front and chose a different outcome. The fact that you posted says you want to o change so now you have made your mind up, the rest should be simple.

I dont really look at this as a weakness, we (including yourself) know you can put the work in and we know you can get results so you aren't mentally or physically week. What I think you need is to change your relationship with food or at least improve the healthiness of the food choices you make. Just making simple changes like choosing to eat only whole foods that are not processed will help. That essentially means you only eat meat, dairy, veggies, rice and nuts/pulses/beans.
You need to think about what triggers you to have bad eating habits and either change the habit or be aware of it up front and chose a different outcome. The fact that you posted says you want to o change so now you have made your mind up, the rest should be simple.

Cheers mate. I know the trigger is this so called imaginary break I have. As you said we put the work in, we get the results and when I have a plan in place I do stick to it and the results have followed. When I take a break I give up the clean habits for whatever reason. Will I stop taking a holiday as suggested, well no, quite frankly I enjoyed camping last week with my wife and kids and having a few coronas on the beach while fishing and kicking the ball round with my kids. But that there is also my failure, that just ends up me eating crap but that regret doesn't hit til the holidays are over.
I guess it's why I ask about emotional eating, when I see camping in the future, I see beers on the beach and enjoying those indulgances, but I also know when I 'plan' prior to that, I will stick to a good diet and workout program. But when the break happens, I break all habits.
Good on those who roasted me, it's fair criticism because I am making excuses and maybe sharing my weakness here amongst those who have the balls to not give in to the pleasures I do, well done. I don't envy anyone but admire those who stay the path no matter what.

Agree with darkoz having fun with the family trumps everything, but get everything tidy for the rest of the year and then you won't care if you let loose a bit and have fun with family when you go camping.

If I'm going to come clean, this is a major issue for me and no doubt it's 99.99% of the reason I fail reaching my goals.
If I'm training and have a plan, my diet is is great, I plan my meals, I stick to the plan and results slowly follow.
Recently I did an injury whilst lifting, I convinced myself I needed the rest anyway so relaxed a little on the food for a week. Decided to lift again, injury was still aggravated so I continued on my relaxed diet, then this leas into a weeks holidays I had planned so convinced myself I'd start again after the holiday but this was just before easter and so the chocolate eggs came out and a week after easter I had a camping trip book so put the diet on the back burner til I got back and when I did get back was only 2 more days til the next long weekend and here I am.
1 month of eating crap and no workouts and it's no surprise I feel like crap.
So for me I have a major issue, I'm either all in or all out. As long as I remember food has been a treat or something to enjoy but I gotta break this habit.
So I need to learn some hard truths and get to the root cause and I'm being vulnerable here by admitting my weakness and lack of discipline.

I was reading an old PTC transformation blog where Markos writes about emotional eating and his cure so to speak was for 2 weeks, 185g of Tuna and vegetables 5 times per day. Extreme yes, but is it worth a shot for someone weak willed like me?

Who or has anyone overcome emotional eating?

Cheers

I can sit here and pretend that it's all your fault, and at times, it is. However most of the time emotional eating is a sign of a deeper issue, a chemical imbalance issue, and until this issue is resolved (or at least given a chance to work), then my finger won't be pointing at your person. So what are these chemicals I'm referring to then?

First and foremost serotonin. I can sit here and write about it, and tell you that in reality, all you're doing through your emotional eating habit is seeking for a serotonin "fix". Starches are known as comfort foods, so is chocolate (for different reasons), all help put you in a great mood, giving a lift, a feeling of "high", in a positive sense. Craving these (ultimately) sugary foods (emotional eating) is one way your body deals with fixing its "feeling good" chemical shortages.

Can you find out if you are the victim here, and therefore a slave to your emotions? Yes you can, and here's how you do it.

Upon rising, and on an empty stomach, you take 500mg of the amino acid tyrosine. You may have bit of juice (like apple juice) with it.
Before bed time, and again on an empty stomach, you take a 50mg capsule of 5-HTP. So as you can see, the difference between the two ought to be 10:1.

The tyrosine may help you by increasing your levels of the feel good chemical we make after working out, and that is dopamine. Again (and on purpose), I've opted not to write too much about either tyrosine or 5-HTP, because I would like you to do your own research please.

The 5-HTP prior to bed time may help you by increasing your serotonin levels. It's always best to balance tyrosine with 5-HTP; your research would tell you why that is.

All the best.

Yep it's weakness I know that and not looking for justification, some practical advice like harden up always works I guess ?.

Good to see. So, now all you need to do is set a reachable goal, say something 1 month away. Now take the first step. No excuses. No "off days" or "treats" or "cheat meals". Just do it.

I always advise first timers to just clear out all the processed food from their house, eat protein and something green with every meal and go for a walk. You can augment that with gym of course, but its not vital for the initial phase.

Another good thing to clear out of your life are people who are toxic, adding stress to your life and wanting to pull you back down to their level.

At the end of one month you will have a reasonably well working digestive system, a bit of fat loss and no more cravings. Now you can ramp it up a bit.

Now you have a lifestyle for, well, life. Not some fad diet that will have you falling off the wagon all the time.

Thanks all for the replies. I want to make clear though that stress, toxic people etc are a non factor as it seems my emotional eating or whatever seems to be on my so called imaginary break. I just extend these breaks and have used the last month of holidays and numerous public holidays as an excuse to have an extendes break.
I know what needs to be done but to be honest the fun factor of hanging with the kids and family and eating too much icecream etc has taken over the thought of a ripped 6 pack.
But all my holidays are done now for another 6 months so all going to plan, I have no excuses now. Watch this space I guess.....cheers