• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
"Wide stance will fuck up your hip" is a cop out by people who don't understand anatomy and can't coach the movement properly
Sure, if you've got the mobility of a plank of wood then feet out near the plates isn't going to end well but a normal width sumo (whatever normal means) is no worse than a narrow conventional stance on the structures of the hip joint itself
For 99% of the population the anatomically "safest" position for the hips for both squats and deadlifts is going to be with the inside of the ankle in line or very slightly outside the edge of the medial delt in normal standing posture with the hands by their sides

Did you just contradict yourself lol

Did you just contradict yourself lol

Not really; just differentiating between soft tissue limitations and joint capsule limitations
ie someone may have a joint capsule that would allow them to pull sumo fine but their adductors are so damn tight their knees collapse in horribly the second they go outside shoulder width
im starting to lose count of how many hips I've assessed (not to mention the number of cadavers I've seen) and it's VERY rare that, barring an injury, someone is structurally incapable of safely deadlifting with a wide stance
As I mentioned before, for most of the population the 'optimal' width for squatting and deadlifting is just outside shoulder width (think Ed Coan's deadlift)
It's also important to distinguish between a movement causing a pathology p, and loading causing pathology ie the movement might be fine but it's been loaded more quickly than the athletes tissue is capable of adapting to

Tall people who have poor leverages for the squat and dead may be able to sumo very effectively but there is no denying that powerlifters like this movement due to the shorter rom and I do believe that using a conventional stance in the long term more beneficial, but at the end of the day it comes down to maintaining an upright torso.

but like all movements fine tuning is key