• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
S

Stiffy

Anyone do cold showers, baths or swimming?

From what I could find, using Dr Weil's website, the limited studies show limited benefits including possible improved Immune function and enhancing Male fertility lol.

https://www.drweil.com/health-welln...air-skin-nails/are-cold-showers-good-for-you/

There's a lot of anecdotal evidence out there about Cold water having stimulant like effects (like shock therapy I assume lol) and giving greater stress tolerance.

There's also an article by Tim Ferriss about it increasing the Metabolism and increasing the burning of Brown Fat.

http://www.doctoroz.com/article/tim-ferriss-jumpstart-supercharge-and-reshape-your-body

Last edited:
My regime at one time was hit the sauna straight after a workout for 10mins and then immediately jump into a cold swimming pool, it felt bloody good

My regime at one time was hit the sauna straight after a workout for 10mins and then immediately jump into a cold swimming pool, it felt bloody good

I think they call a Warm Shower finished with a Cold one a "Scottish Shower". Don't Swiss people (or someone) alternate hot and cold Showers to cleanse the skin pores.

Only found one Health danger of Cold Showers, that being high blood pressure. I understand Colds and Flu aren't directly caused by the Cold. If this Cold water thing has legs, a Winter of Weekends on the Gold Coast looks the go. I'll be the Badass (or dumb kunt) body surfin each weekend Winter morning.

Boosting the immune system - I have had more than a few cold showers growing up in Tassie, they did nothing to boost my immune system

Preventing injury - Cold showers do nothing to prevent injury

Enhancing male fertility - "According to a study published in 1992, the "wet heat" method of contraception has been known since the 4th century B.C. and involves placing the testes in hot water (116 degrees Fahrenheit) for 45 minutes every night for three weeks. This is supposed to provide protection for six months, but it isn’t a very practical method. And there’s no proof that taking cold showers will have the opposite effect." Pretty contradictory

As for the metabolic change... I don't know for sure but i do know whenever i go home to Tassie in the colder months i lose weight, and a lot of it. I also think training in the cold does increase the metabolic rate. I dont think a cold shower lasts long enough for your body to do that though, unless you shower for 45 minutes?

Boosting the immune system - I have had more than a few cold showers growing up in Tassie, they did nothing to boost my immune system

Preventing injury - Cold showers do nothing to prevent injury

Enhancing male fertility - "According to a study published in 1992, the "wet heat" method of contraception has been known since the 4th century B.C. and involves placing the testes in hot water (116 degrees Fahrenheit) for 45 minutes every night for three weeks. This is supposed to provide protection for six months, but it isn’t a very practical method. And there’s no proof that taking cold showers will have the opposite effect." Pretty contradictory

As for the metabolic change... I don't know for sure but i do know whenever i go home to Tassie in the colder months i lose weight, and a lot of it. I also think training in the cold does increase the metabolic rate. I dont think a cold shower lasts long enough for your body to do that though, unless you shower for 45 minutes?

Well you can place your Nutz in hot water, but I'm certainly not going to!

Ice baths etc have been used for a long time as a recovery method.

The boosting of the immune system is supposed to be due to an increase in White blood cells - not sure how good it works though.

You reckon Tassie is the place to go to lose weight? I'll have to settle for some cold Water, soz!

Yeah man i love tassie, go out for a run in the evening with a bloody cold wind blowing, you have to run or you freeze :D

Speaking of nuts in hot water. I was at a work conference a number of years back in the UK, the guest speaker was a guy called Steve Smith who played rugby Union for England back in the late 70's eaerly 80's, he was scrum half. He alter founded a clothing company called Cotton Traders, so he was there as a business men firstly and a rugby player was an interesting tag line. So all the company directors and senior managers and some lackeys like me are there, and he starts by introducing himself and then saying, "I was told I need to keep it short, so I have had my dick in a bucket of ice for 5 mins'' , I nearly spat my beer out and the look on the directors faces was priceless. He then went on to talk about rugby for an hour, and maybe business for 2 mins, very interesting guy.

But back tot he point at hand !! I saw a anecdotal study done on TV, which had groups doing, warm baths, cold baths or heat rubs (like deep heat) to see what the effect was on post exercise muscle soreness, the results as I remember them were that the warm bath was just as effective as the cold, so better to just relax in a warm bath with some bath salts in than to freeze your nuts off in ice.

Lol ^

OK, well I gotta say, if a 3 minute or so Cold Shower is going to increase my White Blood Cell count then I can handle the pain of Cold Water (if you can handle the screaming).

I remember Alister Lynch (Bris Lions Footballer) who used to take Ice Baths to cure his Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (not for Recovery), theory being it increased White Blood Cell count. That was many years ago now, so not sure what the Science says now.

As usual, Ausbb the Fount of all Wisdom.

I was House-sitting a House with no hot water (had Electrcity but Hot water turned off) coz kunce are stingy, so I started having Cold Showers. First time it takes your breath away but after that it's cool bananas.

Now's the time to start as it's still warm If you can maintain evening showers as the Temp drops gradually it might be a slow and easy adaption into Winter.

Paul White the Broncos CEO has been doing it every morning for a long time - reckons it makes the rest of the Day feel like nothin.

Anything that increases your White Blood Cell count (if it does) has to be pretty good.

P.S. Some Youtuber reckons Cold Showers make your Balls bigger. My Nutz already hang outta my Speedos at the Gym. Not sure bigger is better.

^ cold showers might make your sack retract, that could help with the fall out at the gym !!

Could not be bothered reading the link, but I have been doing it for decades, when I have a shower, after you are done turn the hot water off, stand under the cold for a few seconds and turn it off, was all part of training back in the day, I remember our trainer telling us to do it in the 80's done it ever since.