• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fadi

90% of everything you read on bodybuilding forums centers around working hard, very hard! The weekend rolls by and some can't wait to really play hard either. So we've got 90% working and playing hard, and it seems the same 90% are wondering why they're not progressing the way they believe they ought to be. Well, there's a balance that needs to be struck, and failing to strike that balance would ensure you never reach your true potential. What is this missing element then?

Rest hard, that's what!

Peace-is-more-than-just-a-feeling_-Its-the-mental-and-physical-frequency-where-youll-find-all-yo.jpg

It may be your only missing link, your only true bottle-neck to a greater you. So if maximising on your performance is important to you, you need to balance your work and play with some heavy duty resting time. And by resting, I do not mean sitting on the couch watching the news, or sitting at your favourite chair at home with the lap top on your lap, or lying down under a tree, feeling the cool breeze on your right cheek (only), because the left one has been covered with your mobile phone talking business. All these distractions are the equivalent to someone at the gym doing more talking than working out, then wondering why the heck he's not making gains.

So having read the above, can you suggest to the forum a true way of relaxing one's brain by giving it the peace it deserves?

I'll start by saying that (for me), praying in solitude calms my whole being and brings me inner peace, where not only my mind tastes the quietness it so deserves and needs, but my physical and spiritual being also feel realigned and recharged, ready to face yet another challenge that life always seems so efficient and consistent in throwing our way.

672958188-22aa59c1d5699f692d2fc3edaa7e2ddd.jpg

For people who don't believe in a higher power, you're welcome to replace the word pray with meditate :)

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
A couple of thoughts on the above.

The only place I really feel my brain switch off is in the gym. I genuinely feel this is my place of meditation as it allows me to leave everything else behind and focus on moving objects and putting them back down again. Obviously lifting sharpens my body but I definitely feel it sharpens my mind too as it gives me a 2 hour break from the world with nothing but my music and myself for company. Much like you fadi exercise is my medicine.

Secondly I have definitely hampered my training in the past by partying too hard on the weekends. No regrets mind you but as you said fadi it's impossible to reach your full potential if 2-3 days a week are filled with sub par nutrition, alcohol and poor quality/quantity of sleep.

Thirdly many people who live by the train hard party hard mentality realise this and end up on PEDs to try and realise their full potential despite their less than optimal lifestyle choices. This in my opinion is the dumbest reason for taking performance enhancing substances. However it's a trap thousands of gym rats fall into "trying to have it all". Oftentimes this will result in them not dedicating themselves properly to training or a PCT and they end up looking far worse than when they started.

A couple of thoughts on the above.

The only place I really feel my brain switch off is in the gym. I genuinely feel this is my place of meditation as it allows me to leave everything else behind and focus on moving objects and putting them back down again. Obviously lifting sharpens my body but I definitely feel it sharpens my mind too as it gives me a 2 hour break from the world with nothing but my music and myself for company. Much like you fadi exercise is my medicine.

Secondly I have definitely hampered my training in the past by partying too hard on the weekends. No regrets mind you but as you said fadi it's impossible to reach your full potential if 2-3 days a week are filled with sub par nutrition, alcohol and poor quality/quantity of sleep.

Thirdly many people who live by the train hard party hard mentality realise this and end up on PEDs to try and realise their full potential despite their less than optimal lifestyle choices. This in my opinion is the dumbest reason for taking performance enhancing substances. However it's a trap thousands of gym rats fall into "trying to have it all". Oftentimes this will result in them not dedicating themselves properly to training or a PCT and they end up looking far worse than when they started.
I really enjoyed reading all of the above Champion, thank you. I agree re the PEDs, most often it's like hey man, I'm ready for university now because (ah ha yes?)..., mmm, well because I've done one year of high school and it's just too slow and boring, I just wanna jump into the deep end and get on with it. So it's a case of I want to run before I can walk sort of attitude.

As far as the gym being your place of "worship" so to speak, or perhaps more a place of finding true inner peace and tranquility, I can relate to that way of seeing things. It's very personal, and no matter how hard you try and explain the feeling to someone who does not do what we do, they never seem to understand, calling us selfish/self-centered instead. Well what'd you know, I've yet to meet a Champion who was not selfish at one point or another in his "career" of lifting weights. That's how it is and that's our quality time like you've alluded to. So give us our space (and we'll give you yours) thank you very much.

Last edited:
With a fairly high pressure job combined with a wife and 3 young kids it's hard to schedule time to train let alone time to relax. I agree with the comments above around switching off when I am in the gym and just focusing on moving the weights. For me whilst this is a nice way to turn off my brain it isn't really relaxing. When I was younger back in the UK I used to really enjoy fishing, there is something very relaxing about sitting by a river with just the sound of the wind in the trees and the river flowing and centering your focus on watching the line or the rod and nothing else. I don't get one to fish these days so have to settle for a walk by the bay or a long hot bath.

With a fairly high pressure job combined with a wife and 3 young kids it's hard to schedule time to train let alone time to relax. I agree with the comments above around switching off when I am in the gym and just focusing on moving the weights. For me whilst this is a nice way to turn off my brain it isn't really relaxing. When I was younger back in the UK I used to really enjoy fishing, there is something very relaxing about sitting by a river with just the sound of the wind in the trees and the river flowing and centering your focus on watching the line or the rod and nothing else. I don't get one to fish these days so have to settle for a walk by the bay or a long hot bath.

Rob, I'm not (and would not) underestimate what you're saying not even for a split second mate. Like you, I also have ...well, I'm surrounded by females at home (yes I'm blessed :)), I've got 5 daughters, the eldest 23 & a 1/2, and the youngest 3 & a 1/2. And my wife, makes 6! I wouldn't have a clue how to fish for fish, even though I would like to learn someday.

You've already mentioned two alternatives to your awesome sounding fishing experience by that (yes I did imagine it as I was reading your words about it)...that river with the tree branches dancing to the tune of the breeze blowing through them...love it!

The bottom line, we (men), need to love ourselves and do what truly relaxes our minds. Everyone needs to love themselves in a way. I call it feeding the inner-self. You're out working giving it your best, and that best comes from you, all of you, and it does drain you for sure. You need some time to fill up what has been drained, to top it up somehow in order to regenerate and move forward as we all do.

Can't you make time for fishing here Rob. I make time to go plane spotting, as flying is my first love...it runs through my veins. So seeing and hearing these babies fly brings joy to my soul.

Last edited:
Wow Fadi and I thought I had a busy house full of love. I certainly could
find time to fish and plan to do just that but just not now. I am waiting till my boy who turns 4 next week is old enough to sit with me and hopefully enjoy it too. For now I am happy with utilising those memories to make a happy place that I can visit when ever and for what ever I like.

Wow Fadi and I thought I had a busy house full of love. I certainly could
find time to fish and plan to do just that but just not now. I am waiting till my boy who turns 4 next week is old enough to sit with me and hopefully enjoy it too. For now I am happy with utilising those memories to make a happy place that I can visit when ever and for what ever I like.
Love trust and respect Rob, that's what makes a house a home my dear friend. I love seeing dads out with their sons doing things, it gives me a wonderful feeling (of completeness) on the inside. I wish you the best with your family mate, enjoy them the way they enjoy you.

Brilliant stuff here...

I find meditation or focusing on one thing which isn't work/bills/personal issues helps.

Likewise with the guys above when I get under a bar at 5am that is a form of meditation for me. Im usually in the gym with only about 4-5 other people and I find that relaxing because thats "me" time. I work in a high pressure environment so that start to my day is perfect, it also means training is easy because Im not really one to mix with the usual gym crowd. Other than that Im lucky enough to live about a 15 minute walk near the beach, if I have a massive day I go for a walk down to the water and focus on the waves coming in and just observe. Every time a thought pops into my head I dont stress about my attention wavering I just bring it back to the waves.

Most of the best overall athletes I have seen in my life party harder than most.

It's just a fact of life that some have hit the genetic athletic lottery.

The rest are asking for workout programs on a BB forum.

Most of the best overall athletes I have seen in my life party harder than most.

It's just a fact of life that some have hit the genetic athletic lottery.

The rest are asking for workout programs on a BB forum.

What's your point exactly?

What's your point exactly?

If you are asking for workout pointers on a shitty BB forum do not worry about partying of the weekend. It's the least of your worries.

Achieving anything substantially athletically isn't for you.

Being a shit athlete is a reality people struggle to face.

I used to live with most of the best this country had to offer, and I disagree with your statement, unless of course it's your opinion, in which case you're entitled to it.

I used to live with most of the best this country had to offer, and I disagree with your statement, unless of course it's your opinion, in which case you're entitled to it.

You can disagree all you want. Most of the best athletes out partied anyone, in earlier times and today.

No they don't

Haha. Ok sure. How many you know and been out an partied with.

Like I said. Shit athletes posting on BB forums for advise like to pretend they are even close to being elite. No amount of not partying is going to make them Elite. Just enjoy life and don't be a flog.

You are not even close to being a decent athlete.