• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
For most of us, which is us would greatly benefit not living the like an insect.

which is what most professional athlete are required to do.

I think that which is the benefit is the Estonian whistling beetle lifestyle for elite athlete progressions.

There's aways one in your group of friends, "hey let's go out for meal and a few drinks afterwards"
"Nah I have to give it a miss, I'm counting my calories plus I need to train tomorrow"
"What? What are you training for?"
"Well nothing in particular, I'm just training"
"So really, you're just working out"
"Uuuuum yeah but I like to call it training so I can emulate the pros"
"Weirdo"

Insects just specialize in one or two things whereas we don't or shouldn't

you get me now?

ha ha yes thank you, I think I have spent too much time with the kids this weekend and my mind has finally given up. I agree completely with this statement now I understand it. ;-)

Just food for thought on this topic

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/hea...ice-that-changed-my-life-20160825-gr16da.html

"99% is a bitch, 100% is a breeze"

For some this is true for some it isn't, at the end of the day whatever lifestyle and diet that is compatible with long term adherence and helps you best achieve your goals is the best option for you.

For some this means being 100% dedicated as above because "everything in moderation" simply doesn't work for them and results in relapses to unhealthy habits.

For others they need the variety and flexibility of "cheat meals" and alcohol as they can't adhere to something 100% without burning out.

Horses for courses in my opinion as both philosophies have merit.

Just food for thought on this topic

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/hea...ice-that-changed-my-life-20160825-gr16da.html

"99% is a bitch, 100% is a breeze"

For some this is true for some it isn't, at the end of the day whatever lifestyle and diet that is compatible with long term adherence and helps you best achieve your goals is the best option for you.

For some this means being 100% dedicated as above because "everything in moderation" simply doesn't work for them and results in relapses to unhealthy habits.

For others they need the variety and flexibility of "cheat meals" and alcohol as they can't adhere to something 100% without burning out.

Horses for courses in my opinion as both philosophies have merit.

Fully agree. At the end of the day we all have our own individuality; we respond differently to different external/internal stimuluses, and we manage our affairs differently. So it can only make sense to say "horses for courses".

Going back to the comments earlier around genetic potential and good athletes being able to party hard and still be great. I think there is some truth in this. For the most part a lot of athletes are already ahead of the curve as a teenager. We all know that kid at school who ran an 11 sec 100m on grass at age 13 with little to no training. So if we consider that elite sportsmen are most likely the genetic 0.1% and are already ahead before they reach 18 then parting most likely doesn't really have an impact. Where perhaps it does is the longevity of that athlete continuing to improve or stay at the elite level. Plenty of sportsmen/athletes who party hard and end up burning out before they should have.

I think to truly be an elite athlete, they need to avoid bad habits. However it's possible for second tier athletes to perform at a high level (not elite) whilst doing whatever they like.

Bazza mentioned footy. There are very few elite athletes playing any kind of footy. Footy is a combination of GOOD athleticism, positional skills and heart. You don't need elite athleticism to be an elite footballer. Hence most can party and perform at the same time.

It comes down to what you call elite.

Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk

Touching on a good topic, a skilled athlete will never need to work as hard as a someone with less.

and a lot of skill has to do with body mechanics, % of slow and fast twitch fibers and intelligence

Touching on a good topic, a skilled athlete will never need to work as hard as a someone with less.

and a lot of skill has to do with body mechanics, % of slow and fast twitch fibers and intelligence
So basically you're made for the sport you've chosen, or the sport that was chosen for you by the state, as is the case in some countries. More nature than nurture so to speak.

Regarding your first point; I'd say that because of the skills this potentially elite athlete is born with, his hard work pays off more favourably than someone doing the same hard work, yet possessing less of the skills required to reap the benefits.

I think to truly be an elite athlete, they need to avoid bad habits. However it's possible for second tier athletes to perform at a high level (not elite) whilst doing whatever they like.

Bazza mentioned footy. There are very few elite athletes playing any kind of footy. Footy is a combination of GOOD athleticism, positional skills and heart. You don't need elite athleticism to be an elite footballer. Hence most can party and perform at the same time.

It comes down to what you call elite.

Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk

Like you said it all depends how you define athlete. Positional skills and heart are all part of being an athlete.

In any case there are heaps of elite athletes in footy. Many were top level at athletics coming up though juniors without barely training for them because they trained for footy instead. No money in athletics vs playing footy so they don't continue down that path.

I'm not saying partying is going to help then or be zero hinderance but some top guys just have it no matter what they do.

Usain bolt loves to party.

Jon jones possibly the best fighter in the UFC would be out doing coke a day or two before a fight and destroy people.

Gronk the best tight end in the NFL has his own party boat tours.

There are endless examples. Some people just have the ability.

For us average joes a few drinks on the weekend aren't going to make a difference worth worrying about but hey if people want to live like a nun. Go for it.

For us average joes a few drinks on the weekend aren't going to make a difference worth worrying about but hey if people want to live like a nun. Go for it.

I agree with this, it is after all a personal choice. For most (probably all) of us on here a couple of beers on a Saturday night it not going to kill dem gainz, but for some they just dont facny a drink and that is cool to.

I have no doubt that if we are to compare (not only) apples with apples, but the same individual apple with itself, then more likely than not, a difference in performance would be seen, be that athlete your average Mr. Joe, or Mr. Elite.

That difference in performance would be restricted to and related to no one else's but that individual athlete's performances. In the case of the elite man, this difference could mean 100th of a second slower or couple of kilos less on the bar, enough to make a difference between 1st and (perhaps) 5th place in the competition. Mr. Joe on the other hand, may be faced with a less than a productive workout overall.

If you accept this reality, then (as Rob has said above), it's a choice that you make.

Last edited:
Haha. Athlete is how you define it. There are many different types of athletic ability.

You could class being able to spin the ball with the precision and consistency that warnie did as a skill but it has to have an athletic component to it.

If he isn't an athletes arse hole why doesn't showdownhero practice a bit of spin bowling and take an easy 700 test wickets. I mean if there is no athletic ability to it all, it just must take a bit of practice.

Warnie played AFL 2s back in the day so he had some of what we would think as conventional athletic ability.

The funny thing is I'd bet that warnie at his peak would out sprint downhero. Warnie would do it with a fag in hand after smashing a beer as well.

I would agree with bazza that the word athlete has many definitions, but not all good athletes can run fast.

I remember Rocca telling me about how he was surprised some players were in top flight of AFL as they could neither kick nor run fast.

some sports, certain qualities (all part of being a top sportsman or woman) include ability to read the play, heart, skill and they can run all day.

I also think too much is made of top athletes not training hard; fact is they trained enough to get good results and too many athletes of all abilities overtrain.