• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fadi

Tight gluteal and hamstring muscles can place a lot of stress on your lower back. So even though you feel the pain directly in your lower back region, its origin and cause is more often than not lies within your back side and hamstring muscles.

I find a stretch is not enough, or at least not enough unless done post a session where you aim to release the tension deep within the two muscle groups I've mentioned above. For that, I use the massage ball as pictured below:

A767238.jpg

There are two ways you can put this ball to your advantage; one relies on you standing up, placing the ball between you and a wall (or any other hard surface), whilst the other which I'm using as I type these words, is sitting on a hard chair with the ball underneath. Going through the motions of a leg extension exercise whilst the ball is underneath your hamstrings helps to really direct the force deep within your hamstrings muscles.

IMG_20170218_182319_757.jpg

After releasing some muscle tension, then you can begin to apply some stretching to both areas.

I had tension in my gluteus medius that caused my referred pain in my knee cap through my illiotibial band.

The iliotibial band was being stretched beyond its capacity because my gluteus medius had caused my hips to sit in an unnatural position.

Using a muscle ball, foam roller and stretching (particularly the pretzel stretch) relieved the tension in my glutes, restored my hips to their natural position and hey presto no more knee pain.

I had tension in my gluteus medius that caused my referred pain in my knee cap through my illiotibial band.

The iliotibial band was being stretched beyond its capacity because my gluteus medius had caused my hips to sit in an unnatural position.

Using a muscle ball, foam roller and stretching (particularly the pretzel stretch) relieved the tension in my glutes, restored my hips to their natural position and hey presto no more knee pain.
I had this problem years ago. I fixed it with a bit of stretching and it never returned even though both strength and bodyweight increased significantly in subsequent years.

Sent from my R7sf using Tapatalk

I'm sure it works for some people but with my back problems I tried all the ham and glute stretching. All the strengthen your abs for a sore back. None worked for me. In the end it was the simplest answer. Strengthen the lower back for a sore lower back.

I have had sore back often for a few years now. only time it seems to go away is when I consistently stretch hamstrings.

I'm sure it works for some people but with my back problems I tried all the ham and glute stretching. All the strengthen your abs for a sore back. None worked for me. In the end it was the simplest answer. Strengthen the lower back for a sore lower back.
I know exactly what you mean. From about 15-19 I had awful lower back problems as a result of bowling in high school cricket games. To the point where there would be days I was completely bed ridden with shooting pains in both legs. Ever since strengthening my posterior chain I've barely ever had a single problem, thankfully even when I take a hiatus from the gym I still don't get revert back to my old problems as my muscle gains seem to keep everything in check.

Worth mentioning the bowling action of a medium/fast bowler is one of the most strenuous activities the body undergoes. Hundreds and hundreds of kilos of pressure through the lower body and posterior chain.

I know exactly what you mean. From about 15-19 I had awful lower back problems as a result of bowling in high school cricket games. To the point where there would be days I was completely bed ridden with shooting pains in both legs. Ever since strengthening my posterior chain I've barely ever had a single problem, thankfully even when I take a hiatus from the gym I still don't get revert back to my old problems as my muscle gains seem to keep everything in check.

Worth mentioning the bowling action of a medium/fast bowler is one of the most strenuous activities the body undergoes. Hundreds and hundreds of kilos of pressure through the lower body and posterior chain.

What sort of exercises can be used to strengthen the posterior chain?

As fadi already mentioned deadlift is great and so are squats.

I think I benefit the most form single leg exercises like lunges and others use 1 legged squats

Also consider bringing good mornings or stiff leg deadlifts into your routine, they've done wonders for my flexibility and strength

Here are two more for you:

a) Back extensions

b) Planks

The plank does both your posterior and anterior simultaneously and very differently from all other exercises already mentioned. Here we're not relying on muscle contraction and flexion in the usual sense, but we're activating a ton of muscles through the power of isometric contraction and muscular fatigue.

So how would you know if you have gotten stronger in your plank holds? The time factor is one, where the stronger you become the longer your holds will become. And the second factor is adding some weight by placing a weight disk onto your back during the holding phase.

What showdownhero shared with you is also amazing not just for adding strength where you want it, but also great in the way they afford you mobility. With the one legged exercise the Champ has shared with you, you get balance, mobility, flexibility, and strength all rolled up into one hell of an exercise.

All the best to you John.

Where can we pick one of these balls up that's relatively cheap. Sydney based but I'm sure shipping is no problem.