• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

spartacus

My humble view is that deadlifts are overrated as an exercise, beyond their importance to powerlifting.

I tend to agree with this article

https://www.t-nation.com/training/the-deadlift-who-needs-it

I also say this despite that lift being probably my best lift of the three powerlifts. as a 49 year old, I squatted 160kg, benched 125kg and deadlifted 230kg in a CAPO comp.

when I was younger (early 1990s) I did 4 reps on 260kg (with PEDs) when doing a lot of bodybuilding activity, but hardly ever doing the movement.

first time I ever did deadlifts in early 1980s, i did 6x185kg at a time when I could power clean 120kg.

yes, I say do them if you want, but I cant really see why they are necessary. I believe they are not worth the effort if you are not a powerlifter.

To get debate rolling I have posted

https://forums.t-nation.com/t/deadlifts-necessary/218437

Once past a certain level of development, I'd agree.
But incredibly beneficial to all round health, to a point (let's say, an intermediate level?)

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Ooo I like this topic.

As with all exercises they are there for making one stronger.
the deadlift, like the calf raise is a showy exercise that is and can be overused, because of the mechanical advantages of leverage a lot of weight can be moved over a small distance.

the dead can be rugged not just on the low back but also the hip and especially the knee even more so if the trainee is long legged and long armed.

The upper back takes a pounding due to the increasing downward pull.
A good adjunct to this exercise is the bent over row and stiff legged dead.

I'm in two minds as to whether the chest supported row as a good replacement

for an old old retired powerlifter you are right

Horseshit.

Or maybe true. If it's true, then ALL the power lifts are not necessary, including the squat. (Gasp!!!)

And the bench press. (Mega gasp!!!)

In fact, just about everything is unnecessary. All you need for good health is to go for a walk.

T-nation occasionally have good articles. Occasionally. Most of them are clickbait or a weak attempt to get into print with some half-true, or completely false, opinion. Almost all pimp their expensive supps. Remember, like the hallowed science publication arena, in the online fitness industry, if you don't publish, you perish.

The above linked article will go down real well with those who just want to "get fit" or "maintain" their gym activity. I guess it comes down to your goals, which the author mentioned in the final line of his article, that suggested that doing single leg work was more valuable.

A quick google search reveals this manifesto:

Strength Coach, Josh Henkin, has been a leader in the fitness and sports performance industry for the past 20 years. Coach Henkin began to develop his innovative Dynamic Variable Resistance Training™ (DVRT) in 2005. The success of Coach Henkin’s DVRT and Ultimate Sandbag™ program has allowed him the opportunity to lecture and write extensively in the variable resistance and functional based training.
Coach Henkin is a best-selling author, writing three books, as well as having published over 100 articles. His work has been seen in mainstream publications such as "Men’s Health", "Experience Life Magazine", "SWAT Magazine", "SHAPE Magazine", "Testosterone Magazine", and "The Crossfit Journal".

Obviously, he is aiming his business towards cross fitters and other less than "serious" trainers. In fact, his aim is to steer readers towards his "Dynamic Variable Resistance Training™ (DVRT)". $$$$$

I guess the question is, "Are deadlifts useful to the average Joe?". Well, something that quickly fires up every posterior muscle from the ankles to the upper neck plus forearms/grip, abs and inner core is very useful. Probably more so, and simpler, that throwing around a sand bag.

Or you can just go for a walk.

Oh. And another thing. Give it a week or so and you will see an article on T-nation promoting the exact opposite opinion. Publish or perish.

Last edited:
i agree that none of the powerlifts are necessary, but I would rate squats way ahead of deadlifts in terms of assisting sporting performance outside powerlifting.

I'll stick with my Clean Deadlifts, as I find them to be the safest of all exercises in what they give in return for a lifter's effort. For overall mobility and strength, in addition to safety, I've yet to find an exercise that comes close to matching them. Would I recommend them to everyone? Probably not. However when comparing the Clean Deadlift with a front squat; a back squat, a power clean, a clean pull, or even some bent over rows..., for me at least, none of the exercises I mentioned would even come close to giving me what this one exercise is giving me..., in a safe and controlled manner I might add.

If walking is the ultimate exercise for mobility, then this (for me) would be the ultimate exercise for overall strength, mobility, and deep endocrine system stimulation and an overall feeling of wellbeing.

Last edited:
Key point; "beyond powerlifting"

As an aside; when my squat improved, so did my dead...

Buy a trap bar, then you have a squat with dead lifting benefits.

Does the old injury ridden power lift still need to dead-lift?

if shoulder is bad, upper back, lower back, knee, elbow or hands, then one should consider alternatives training through an injury is idiotic

Something to consider

What could take years to understand for some and I mean wasted training years is that once you can no longer do particular exercise no amount of working around the injury (do everything right this time) start out light this time around... is going to change anything to good

Some work around injuries, whilst others find healing within a particular exercise. Therefore I wouldn't (or am not) recommending what I'm doing with my clean deadlifts to anyone else here or elsewhere. Each to his own.

Something to consider

What could take years to understand for some and I mean wasted training years is that once you can no longer do particular exercise no amount of working around the injury (do everything right this time) start out light this time around... is going to change anything to good
Variation.

Important for progress. And very important during unfortunate injury periods.

Tim.

Ultimate Sandbag program ?

I guess it works.......

5718ffded6b23_WallofBodies.jpg.93a1a4a1fe8212c585eced0416839b33.jpg

It's a more advanced form of the bosu ball back squat while juggling two kettle bells. So superior to shitty deadlifts.

I guess it works.......

5718ffded6b23_WallofBodies.jpg.93a1a4a1fe8212c585eced0416839b33.jpg

It's a more advanced form of the bosu ball back squat while juggling two kettle bells. So superior to shitty deadlifts.

Well, there's your problem. For max bosu gainz forget the kettlebells, you need to actually juggle...

41822080-Businessman-standing-on-wooden-board-and-balancing-on-sphere-juggling-with-currency-symbol-balls-on--Stock-Photo.jpg

No exercise is necessary but I like deadlifts a lot.

For me they are the number 1 exercise. I feel better when I do them. My back used to be fucked and doing deadlifts were the key to fixing it. When I don't deadlift my back plays up again.

Good for power, strength and hypertrophy gains. It seems pretty useful to me.

"Functional strength" is a misnomer anyway. Functional for what exactly? "Functional" is a relative term just like "fitness".

Good for power, strength and hypertrophy gains. It seems pretty useful to me.

"Functional strength" is a misnomer anyway. Functional for what exactly? "Functional" is a relative term just like "fitness".

yep, agree. that is why I would prefer a whole lot of other safer and less taxing exercises to aid specific muscle development for sportspeople whether they are bbs, sprinters or anyone else.

but yes, as bazza suggests, if you like doing them, go for it.