• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
any tips, when i try to keep hips down on heavy weights, nothing moves.

It's a deadlift not a squat. The hips don't need to be down. Have a look at some of the best deadlifters they often start with hips high.

It depends on your body proportions. If you have long legs and short torso you will start with hips high. There is no way around it.

bazza, yes i agree with that.

but, there is no doubt i also lack thigh strength. my legs should be much stronger.

i remember sav Rocca deadlifting 240kg in 1991; i think his best squat at time was 130kg. he was 17 at time.

bazza, yes i agree with that.

but, there is no doubt i also lack thigh strength. my legs should be much stronger.

Legs could always be stronger. Nothing wrong with that.

Most people try and start the deadlift too low. Therefore when the weight gets heavy the hips come up. It's not actually the issue, the issue was the hips being too low to start with.

People often try and turn the deadlift into a squat with the bar in the hands.

getting back to topic, i think way i deadlift has even less relevance to most sports due to lift relying on back whereas glutes and thighs are the magical muscles for most sports.

this is how i should look
images

getting back to topic, i think way i deadlift has even less relevance to most sports due to lift relying on back whereas glutes and thighs are the magical muscles for most sports.

Impossible to deadlift without the glutes and hams doing a lot of work.

Most good footy players are the long limbed short torso types. They would deadlift with a high hip starting position.

In any case a strong back is extremely important for sports. Don't know why you think it isn't.

true, i had reasonable overall body strength, certainly enough to be a good footballer if only i had the skill and heart.

but for track, my first love, i had the wrong physique in terms of too much muscle up top and not enough below the waist. this is undeniable. i would have smashed 50 seconds with a different body proportion, but that is my fault.

Saw the vid. That's horrible. Your back was in a very dangerous position, even allowing for a rounded upper back, which people with short arms need to get to the bar. The last rep I was sure you were going to blow a disc or take a dump, or both.

I'm not a trainer, even an unqualified inter webs one, but there are some serious issues with your lower back. It's nowhere near a neutral spine.

I hate to say this, but have you tried sumo? That will get your hips a little lower which MIGHT help with getting a neutral spine. That said, frankly you should be able to perform a neutral spine position without taking the bar off the floor.

7773947.png

Even the "good" form on the left is not right. The back is set right but his shoulders are way too far forward of the bar. This is pretty close:

deadlift_bottom_web.jpg

Head is almost neutral too.

I would suggest just setting up a bar and plates and, without lifting it at all, take some vid of you getting into position. Play around with hip height and head position.

ok, thanks.

i dont think i have short arms, 77 inch each at 73 inch height, so maybe i just have very poor flexibility.

i agree i struggle to get in right position, but have to agree with fadi that my deadlift technique is thee result of relying on back strength at the expense of glutes and thighs.

simple truth is when i try to lift in more anatomically correct position, weight does not budge.

[MENTION=6618]spartacus[/MENTION] I’m no expert (not even a woody one) and don’t lift that weight so ignore this of you want. It may just be the angle on the video but for me it looks like you need to sit back a little more and keep you shins more vertical when you start the pull (i don't mean drop the but more just change the body angle to get a vertical shin). In the video it looks like your shins are coming back away from the bar in the first 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] of the lift (or the bar is going forward) and then then come back forward after the bar clears your knees. I like this video from Richard Hawthorne on deadlift - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ5rY_beDLY

thanks simo, yes i rarely graze shins with deadlifts which confirms what you are saying.

nevertheless, even my own self discussion reinforce my view that i would not recommend such a lift to non-lifters.

I agree with you there, for what seems to be a very simple exercise on the face of it, is actually quite technical and can be dangerous when the weight goes up. After 10 years out of the gym and only 48 weeks back I am progressing mine very slowly and trying to keep form tight. This thread discussion has made me think about videoing my own to check which I will do in the next few weeks.

i agree i struggle to get in right position, but have to agree with fadi that my deadlift technique is thee result of relying on back strength at the expense of glutes and thighs.

simple truth is when i try to lift in more anatomically correct position, weight does not budge.

Remember this thread which I started few days ago Spart? http://ausbb.com/showthread.php?t=31775 We can deliberate this all day long, with all of us trying to tell you what you're doing and what you ought to be doing instead. However now that I've read your side of the story, I'm convinced that you, just like those Champions I've mentioned in my thread on "stop you're doing it wrong", have your own unique way of lifting Sir. And based on what I've seen in your video (which defies logic) just the way that legend Olympic weightlifter defied the laws of physics with his jerk technique... I'm referring to non other than Yuri Vardanyan. After all these factors, I've decided to keep my mouth shut and accept the fact that your way of lifting is your own unique signature Champion, and I've never seen a wrong signature in all my 37 years of lifting. So well done mate for sticking with what you knew worked for you for all your lifting years.