• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I guess it works.......

5718ffded6b23_WallofBodies.jpg.93a1a4a1fe8212c585eced0416839b33.jpg

It's a more advanced form of the bosu ball back squat while juggling two kettle bells. So superior to shitty deadlifts.

wow, that is a fine contribution to the debate.

how can I make you feel better.

ok, deadlifts are the ultimate exercise and help me become more manly by boosting my testosterone, growing hair on my shoulders, and fucking my mrs extra hard when i get my chance. And, deadlifts provide the crowning expression of human movement that makes powerlifters the ultimate athletes.

are we friends now.

Does the old injury ridden power lift still need to dead-lift?

if shoulder is bad, upper back, lower back, knee, elbow or hands, then one should consider alternatives training through an injury is idiotic

I Should have stated ; " training through an injury using the deadlift in this case is idiotic"

I Should have stated ; " training through an injury using the deadlift in this case is idiotic"

It depends on how you define training though an injury. Some injuries recover better with some training though it.

Sure if it's doing more damage it's bad but you usually don't know for sure.

It depends on how you define training though an injury. Some injuries recover better with some training though it.

Sure if it's doing more damage it's bad but you usually don't know for sure.

Well, if you sustained an injury, in a particular group of muscles and the exercise you choose to strengthen those muscles causes pain in a particular joint, then choosing another exercise that doesn't cause pain would be the best choice.

The dead is a great exercise and to me I can't think of a bad one.
As I'm getting older I'm thinking more that it's all the other exercises we do that enables one to it.

if you sustained an injury that can be directly attributed to the exercise, then....

The old Adage ; "all you need is; squat bench dead" is puerile if you ask me.

The old Adage ; "all you need is; squat bench dead" is puerile if you ask me.

and me.

I am coming to terms with the realty I have weak quads, especially left one which has never recovered fully from serious stress fracture (lateral condyle in femur) in 2011.

Today is did single box squats 50cm high with just 5kg on broomstick, and I was flat out with 4 sets of 5 reps each leg.

Will this give me more specific strength improvement in thigh than deadlifts where I can still lift decent weights? Absolutely.

should I do squats with a heavy reliance on my right quad which aggravates my lower back? No.

to me, that is what smart weight training is about. it is not about how much you can lift. it is about recognising both your limitations and aspirations and picking suitable exercises.

wow, that is a fine contribution to the debate.

how can I make you feel better.

ok, deadlifts are the ultimate exercise and help me become more manly by boosting my testosterone, growing hair on my shoulders, and fucking my mrs extra hard when i get my chance. And, deadlifts provide the crowning expression of human movement that makes powerlifters the ultimate athletes.

are we friends now.

Yes. Yes we are. I'm all content now.

to me, that is what smart weight training is about. it is not about how much you can lift. it is about recognising both your limitations and aspirations and picking suitable exercises.

The problem is that first off, you have to make the context of each "lifter's" situation clear.

If you are in the gym trying to improve, or just manage, a physical issue, then obviously you will avoid max effort work.

But, if you are training to excel in a sport of some sort, then ditching main strength movements using some weak arse excuse is not going to help you reach your goals.

In your particular case, you are picking exercises for your needs. That's the smart thing to do.

No exercise is necessary but I like deadlifts a lot.

For me they are the number 1 exercise. I feel better when I do them. My back used to be fucked and doing deadlifts were the key to fixing it. When I don't deadlift my back plays up again.

Exactly the same here. I would put my back out placing groceries in the boot.

Deadlifts have rewarded me with a back that is strong enough to support anything my body needs to do, no matter what the movement. A couple of guys I know who were in a similar situation as me 10 years ago went the opposite route and are now hobbling around whining about everything hurting and using painkillers on a daily basis. Dare I say that deadlifts are "healthy"?

woody, have you got a clip of your form from the side.

I have a rounded back, so don't see much point in doing them. I can't see how lifting like this is going to help my troubled lower back area.

what I do for my lower back and hamstrings is 3-4sets of single leg curls followed by hypers. why would deadlifts be any better when I also do quad work?

the other way I could do deadlifts is the clean way fadi is doing with good form. However, I feel like I am working the posterior better and with more intensity simply with quad work followed by leg curls and hypers.

everyone to their own, but I will not promote deadlifts to any person I am training (beside the remote possibility of helping a powerlifter) because I feel there are safer and less complex options out there to get the same results.

Dare I say that deadlifts are "healthy"?
They're currently my medicine of choice...., slowly but surely, allowing me to regain strength in my lower back, whilst simultaneously strengthening the myriad of muscles needed to perform the lift successfully.

I have a rounded back, so don't see much point in doing them. I can't see how lifting like this is going to help my troubled lower back area.

what I do for my lower back and hamstrings is 3-4sets of single leg curls followed by hypers. why would deadlifts be any better when I also do quad work?

the other way I could do deadlifts is the clean way fadi is doing with good form. However, I feel like I am working the posterior better and with more intensity simply with quad work followed by leg curls and hypers.

everyone to their own, but I will not promote deadlifts to any person I am training (beside the remote possibility of helping a powerlifter) because I feel there are safer and less complex options out there to get the same results.

Some back rounding isn't really an issue if you take the time to get strong like that. I would say it's probably a benefit.

We lift stuff with a rounded back every day in day to day life, just standing up from a chair or having a shit and you'll do it with a rounded back.

It makes sense to train to be get some strength with you back being rounded as we need that strength in day to day life.

A bit of flexion and extension in the spine is good and required as long as the load or resistance is in the right direction.

the worst thing for the spine twisting under load whilst not moving the feet repeatedly over a protracted time, of course opinions will vary.

I think this thread has run its course, as with all exercise do it if you can if you can't find an alternative but having said that out of the 4 most popular exercises the deadlift is the easiest to master.

Rounded upper or rounded lower or both?

I have front and back shots, nothing from the side. Mebbe you could post an older one if you have it.

To me it looks like you are not getting tight enough?
As the set goes on, your hips rise earlier and earlier too.

Tim.

any tips, when i try to keep hips down on heavy weights, nothing moves.
Do snatch grip deadlifts, this will force your glutes into a much lower position, which in turn would make your glutes as well as your quads and hamstrings as the prime movers as opposed to your back being the prime mover as is the case in your video.

You have an incredibly strong back, and not just the lower back but all over. The reason for that strength is the fact that you've allowed your back to do all or most of the work, whilst your legs have been secondary players. That is why I suggest you use the snatch grip, as this will put you in a better position, which would restrict you from lifting your hips early, resulting in less focus on your lower back and more recruitment of the muscles I've mentioned above.

If I was to lift like you, I won't be able to shift a heavy weight either, for exactly the reason you can't shift a heavy weight if you maintained a low hip position. In other words, we've both gotten stronger using totally different muscles as our prime movers. I did it that way because that's how an Olympic weightlifter initiates his lift off the ground.

I've noticed that your legs are almost straight when you commence your lift, which means if you've got a strong squat (I don't know how much you can squat), you can really get closer to lifting 300kg instead of a bit over 200kg. This of course only applies if you're still interested in deadlifting in the first place.

Last edited:
thanks for that, yes my back is way stronger than my legs.

when i could power clean 120kgwhen 21 (80kg), my best squat was 132.5kg (although then with very good flexibility and depth). have always had a very strong back. like i said before, first time i ever deadlifted around that time i got 6x185kg and 215kg shortly after.

not sure if i will get back into powerlifts. first thing will be to get strength up in left thigh so i can squat again properly. albeit i may start squatting light this week.