• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
if you put it into context, straps like lifting shoes aren't really making you stronger they just enable one to add weight to the bar, which really begs the question is that wise?
You make a great and valid statement Andy. Now to your question of whether it's wise or not to add weight to the bar. I say it depends on the lifter and what he's trying to achieve by lifting in the first place. If strength matters, then adding weight to the bar matters. Therefore if the only aspect to using straps is to enable the lifter to add more weight to the bar, then it begs the question as to why he is not using straps when it's necessary to do so?

Last edited:
go for it andy, answer that pearl of wisdom.
This isn't about Fadi and Andy, this is about having a fruitful discussion, which incidently you're welcome to participate in should you choose to do so.

If I wrote something you disagree with, then please point it out, perchance I might learn something new from you Sir.

Thank you.

ok, how can anyone prove that lifting more weight with straps made them stronger. yes, after a period of training with straps you may get stronger, but who is to say that it was not the exercise and diet over time that was responsible for the gain.

i think it is a question that is difficult to answer.

i remember once reading about champion Russian lifters (Soviet review) who even gave away the use of pulls in training (where straps would have been used), and it made no difference to their lifts. there was no decline and still improvement.

my gut feeling is that they make little difference, and their use will always allow you lift more weight than without.

If there use always allows you to lift more weight than without, how can they not help you improve ?

ok, how can anyone prove that lifting more weight with straps made them stronger.
We both agree that lifting more weight makes one stronger. The straps allows one to lift more weight, hence their use contributes to making one stronger. I believe you said it yourself below...
my gut feeling is that they make little difference, and their use will always allow you lift more weight than without.
There, we're on the same page Sir.

Actually you may have hit the nail right on its head ....let me show you where. You said, in the way of a positive, that "they make little difference"...., and I won't argue with you that that's exactly what straps allow you to make, a little difference. But you see, it's exactly that "little difference" over time with its cumulative effect, that makes a big difference in the long run. Is it possible that you and I can agree on that point?

fadi, what i am saying is say they straps helped you lifted 10% more when you best snatch was 100kg, they will still help you lift 10% more when you snatch 120kg.

in other words, my gut feeling is that pure strength gains are the key. the straps merely help you lift more, always.

Please keep in mind that in the OP as well as in my other posts, I did mention the repetitions as being an added factor to the use of straps. Also the use of statics or the halting of the bar for a count. So this is not simply about weight weight and more weight, but the added effect the repetitions have on that weight that may or may not necessitate the usage of the straps.

Thank you.

fadi, what i am saying is say they straps helped you lifted 10% more when you best snatch was 100kg, they will still help you lift 10% more when you snatch 120kg.

in other words, my gut feeling is that pure strength gains are the key. the straps merely help you lift more, always.
100% agreed. Thank you.

Why not use a mixed grip instead then?
Scoliosis and leg length discrepancy. I'm wonky enough already without adding a little twist to it all.

All my lifters eventually go to mixed grip. It's just not for me.

I've always felt that about 80% of the health benefits that come from deadlifting will come with just regularly and reliably pulling your bodyweight. I don't think you need to pull 200kg for your health. I was told on the SS forum "you'll feel differently when you pull 500lbs." Well, this was just 10lbs short. I feel the same.

Now if you're talking about looks and sports and so on, okay you need more. But if you're lifting for health, you'll probably never lift heavy enough for straps to be an issue.