• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
It's just me but I always wanted the grip of a leviathan and worked out accordingly

Chix love strong Hands. Nothin chix dig more than a strong grip, especially on their ass! Just ask [MENTION=7738]Timeah[/MENTION]; 's missus :p

Not needed them so far, really. Last deadlift PR start of the year was 222.5, double overhand, I went for a triple and got a double. Straps would be a lot of fucking around just for the last rep of a training cycle of hundreds of reps.

Now, if I were doing a hundred clean pulls and three hundred snatches a week, I might feel differently.

I'll stand by my opinion whether anyone thinks it's short sighted or not, that straps are not necessary.
If you want a strong grip then work on it.

Not needed them so far, really. Last deadlift PR start of the year was 222.5, double overhand, I went for a triple and got a double. Straps would be a lot of fucking around just for the last rep of a training cycle of hundreds of reps.

Now, if I were doing a hundred clean pulls and three hundred snatches a week, I might feel differently.

Why not use a mixed grip instead then?

Not trying to be funny here but maybe because we've tried a lot more things and so have a pretty good idea of what's what.

Good lifting mate.

Tim.

I'll stand by my opinion whether anyone thinks it's short sighted or not, that straps are not necessary.
If you want a strong grip then work on it.

So you should let your deadlift and bent over rows suffer/plateau until your grip may or may not catch up? That's like saying never to use any chest support equipment, just get a strong core.

Bit of a narrow minded view.

I don't think that is right steve. i think know all comments should be avoided.

i suppose those who wore suits in old days of powerlifting squats can expect to lift the same weight once they went raw with no suit assistance. no chance.

yes, some may progress using wraps, but who is to really know they would not have improved in any case without wraps.

i am not convinced that leveraging up any heavier weight with wraps actually makes any difference.

i have been thinking about it, but retain a view similar to the dark one.

I got to 220kg 5reps x 5 sets without using straps, I don't have big hands.

the last couple of rep's my grip started to give way but I just reset my grip and carried on eventually my grip improved and I could finish the set, when I could do this I would increase the weight, towards the end of my heydays the increments would be smaller.

as with the bent over row the weight that I pulled never bothered me and my back actually fatigued before my hands anyway my hands never really made a tight grip on the bar, they where more like hooks my shoulder and upper back was doing all the work here.

if you put it into context, straps like lifting shoes aren't really making you stronger they just enable one to add weight to the bar, which really begs the question is that wise?

So you should let your deadlift and bent over rows suffer/plateau until your grip may or may not catch up? That's like saying never to use any chest support equipment, just get a strong core.

Bit of a narrow minded view.

We're talking about the regular gym rat aren't we? Aren't we?
You're still wet behind the ears Stevie no wonder

I got to 220kg 5reps x 5 sets without using straps, I don't have big hands.

the last couple of rep's my grip started to give way but I just reset my grip and carried on eventually my grip improved and I could finish the set, when I could do this I would increase the weight, towards the end of my heydays the increments would be smaller.

as with the bent over row the weight that I pulled never bothered me and my back actually fatigued before my hands anyway my hands never really made a tight grip on the bar, they where more like hooks my shoulder and upper back was doing all the work here.

if you put it into context, straps like lifting shoes aren't really making you stronger they just enable one to add weight to the bar, which really begs the question is that wise?

that is impressive deadlifting, did you ever do a single?

Straps or no straps are not really an issue worth worrying about are they. I don't see an issue either way.