• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pappy O'Daniels

After seeing the fancy prices local suppliers want for collars, I bought these off eBay for $10 / pair.

collars.jpg

This seems like an area where prices are wildly different depending on brand and store.

Spring collars apparently lose their grip after a while, and screw collars mar the barbell sleeve, so one has to go with a locking or "lock jaw" collar in my opinion. I wonder what others think?

Will keep this thread updated on how these super-cheap collars perform.

I took a pair from gym direct. Still working well enough, but not as tight as they once were. (There is a filthy pun in there somewhere for which i am not sorry for ha).

Tim.

I use the professional Hampton spring collars as I find them much easier to put on and take off. Placed the silver ones there for comparison purposes.

IMG_20170215_151909_326.jpg

IMG_20170215_152058_517.jpg

Thanks Fadi, those look high quality.

I'm fully expecting to be disappointed with the "cheap Chinese chit" when it arrives, but what the hey, sometimes you get lucky with junk from China and it actually works. I looked at the ones in the Aussie Fitness store, and they looked identical, but cost $24 (2.4x as much). I bet they're the same, or close to.

Timeah, how long you had them? Have they scratched the bar?

No scratches (that ive noticed enough to care). I must confirm i am talking about the lockjaw type from gymdirect.

Tim.

They're normally lined with rubber so shouldn't scratch anything even if they slip slightly when tightened.

My gym got a heap of cheap ones in a while ago, the rubber liner falls out or dislodges and makes it very tight getting it on/off so people rip them out...then they get lost and they don't grip at all without the liner. Nothing a few drops of superglue wouldn't fix to keep it seated in its groove

Liner doesn't really move at all with only a single lifter using them, who is also reasonably careful with his own stuff

Tim.

I'm fully expecting to be disappointed with the "cheap Chinese chit" when it arrives, but what the hey, sometimes you get lucky with junk from China and it actually works. I looked at the ones in the Aussie Fitness store, and they looked identical, but cost $24 (2.4x as much). I bet they're the same, or close to.

Guess where all these gear companies get their stuff? Right. China. Or, as Trump would say, Gina.

They might fall apart after a while but then that goes for any collar.

I find the spring collars are really cheap but as noted before, they loosen over time and they can also hurt your dainty fingers if they aren't offset enough. When they are tight enough they take far more time and energy than is necessary to get on than they are worth. The old school wing nut collars are the worst.

The plastic clamps you show are really quick and easy so you should do well with those.

I have owned and/or used all types of collars and even the expensive calibrated comp collars can fail. At the end of the day, you just want something that's fast to put on and secure to keep your plates in place. I currently use calibrated Eleiko collars but also the same type of cheap plastic clamps that you show, depending on how much weight I want on the bar. Both are fast and easy. The plastic ones obviously are far cheaper.

I've got these collars and they're great for ten bucks. I've used them on olympic dbs with 30kg+ being held by the plates overhead confidently on Triceps presses.

They hold as well or better than the spring or screw on ones i reckon

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk